Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i did that in a iced up parking lot and i haven't had any noticeable damage yet, but i wouldn't think its exactly pampering your 4WD system.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't know what if any damage it would do, but I don't see how you could easily do donuts in 4WD anyway. At least in my truck, with 4WD on it grips too tight to do donuts easily. I stick to 2WD when doing them, it's much easier :twisted: Is there a reason why you don't want to use 2?

By the way, Revos kick *** in the snow (tried and true as of last week).

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just picked up a set of kumhos and I love them! I can't get them to spin in 4WD. They are also exceptional on ice.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
as someone who has purchased vehichles in the past based on their ability to spin in a parking lot (why else would you buy a 1990 4 cyl, mustang) i can offer you these tidbits of advice:

1. hand brake cables tend to snap if pulled hard when the vehicle is going relatively fast.
2. ice, although making spinning faster and more fun , also present the danger of not being able to stop, creating an interesting problem of a vehicle sliding down a loading ramp and into the warehouse dock.
3. cops won't buy the story of "just testing my snow tires" for ever
4. front wheel drive in reverse is also fun in rental cars (in any season)
5. parking lot donuts seem to occur more commonly with booze, and i will therefore refer you to #3.
6. reckess driving, public endangerment, trespassing and mischief can all be thrown at you if pulled over in the act and the cop is an *** (and thankfully he was not)
7. with all season, undersized tires and with the truck in 2WD you will be laughing in the lot (and the ditch if you try to drive anywhere else in the winter)

happy donuting!

PS - donuts are a cultural passtime in the maritimes

·
Registered
286 Posts
RodeoRedBeard said:
PS - donuts are a cultural passtime in the maritimes
Yes,, yes they are.
We just had our first real snow fall there last week. I was so excited. I waited til like 1am, when about a foot or more had fallen, and I went out 4x4'n. It was a blast. Now, just have to wait til the next storm comes along.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Yea, that was the biggest snow that I've driven in. That's my stock 96 Trooper on a "plowed" road there :) My buddy had to have his foot on the t-case shifter otherwise it would pop out of 4wd.

We accidentally (seriously) got it air-borne when we hit a mound of ice that we thought was snow. The light in the radio came on when we landed (I had never seen it on before) and never went out again :)

This was Feb 03: http://tad.luddite.net/gallery/Blizzard2003/IMG_2230

My stock 94 Trooper got high centered in the driveway :( But at least you can see how much snow there is on the car across the street.

-Tad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.