Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read threads on here about specific brands of ATF we have used for this transmission. Some say the brand type can affect the performance of the transmission. Castrol Import, Royal Purple….etc…. Opinions? Does it matter? What’s the preferred brand if any?

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
DEXRON is a registered GM trademark. The transmission uses DEXRON III which was discontinued in 2006 and replaced with DEXRON VI that is a synthetic type ATF. There are DEXRON III substitutes avail from Castrol or Valvoline and several others that meet the DEXRON III H specification. One brand is just as good as another imho.
DEXRON VI is backwards compatible with DEXRON III

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my research for replacing the oil on my box, I found out that the Dexron VI is a little thinner and that it could have consequences on old boxes with slightly worn seals.

·
Registered
2003 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd 2.2l 5spd, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport 4wd 3.2l Auto
8 Posts
I only have one data point. I used Valvoline Max-Life. Its full synthetic and says Dexron II, III and VI on the label. Inexpensive and easy to find. My trans spots the driveway, but I have not changed my gasket since purchasing car with trans very low on fluid. PO thought the trans was topped off b/c the reservoir (power steering) was at the full mark. I took a chance, and the Max-Life brought it back to flawless shifting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts