Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this issue has been repeatedly covered in the forums. I have a different question related to it that I can't seem to find answered so far...

I am running into the same gear slipping problems with my '01 Rodeo (151k miles) but don't have a garage to work, vehicle stands (or a good jack) and honestly the ground is a bit too wet too lay on in the dark after work nowadays. SO...I've called a number of local mechanics and explained what I need them to do. They all listen to me and then immediately tell me I'm probably spinning my wheels because the sensor won't affect the actual shifting of the tranny. I know and trust people on this board, these mechanics are all new to me. What can I tell them to look at this situation with a more open mind? Does this particular range sensor do more than your typical sensor?

I'm honestly hoping to just pay an honest mechanic for an hour of their time to clean/regrease my sensor and top off the tranny fluid if necessary. Hopefully the latter isn't necessary because I just had the tranny serviced 20k miles ago.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
The gear indicator lamps on the instrument panel on a 2001 Rodeo are controlled the ECM/PCM which receives transmission gear shift lever position information from the Range Mode Switch(sensor) (RMS). If the instrument panel lamps correctly match the position of the gear select lever for all 7 positions the RMS is working correctly and does not need cleaning. Further, you don't grease the switch it is an electrical component, you clean and apply a THIN film of dielectric compound. If the RMS is not working the PCM will command an increase in hydraulic pressure to max to prevent clutch slippage since it doesn't know what gear range has been selected. This increased pressure results in harsh shifting.

·
Registered
227 Posts
IIRC the contacts tell the ECU which gear the transmission is in and how to shift. Otherwise there'd be no point to it.

I think if it's out of adjustment or bad or dirty it could make shifting poor. Usually you get the gear display on the dashboard acting up as well. I had a 97 Rodeo with an automatic and after cleaning it the transmission shifted better (my lights weren't going crazy and lined up properly...the issue was lots of water and goo inside since the orange seal was bad).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm taking it to a very well reviewed transmission shop in the morning. He's going to check the fluid first and if it has been leaking then find out where. Past that, it looks like it's up to me to find a place to do the cleaning work myself. They, nor any other mechanic I called, are even remotely interested in removing, opening and cleaning the RMS. The transmission shop guy was super nice and knowledgeable and said that in his 35 years of working he has never cleaned an RMS nor has he ever seen one cause the type of shifting problems I have. He said that in the cases where the RMS has failed, they simply replace it. At least I have enough knowledge to not fall for paying for a replacement part.

I explained that it seems like the dirty RMS is a pretty common issue and has been documented time and again to resolve the issue, but he wasn't having any of it. I guess my fingers are crossed that it's low fluid...too bad there's no dipstick to check it!

·
Registered
227 Posts
That is interesting as we are discussing that in another thread. The trend nowadays is to replace something rather than fix it. I had the same pressure when I was a computer tech. The owner hated that I spent 4-5 hours on an issue and (a) didn't charge for it or (b) take the easy route and just tell the customer that a hard drive was bad so he could make more money.

That's just plain wrong. With regards to a virus I was 99.9% successful at removing them and the customer was happy....especially given that they didn't have to reinstall all their programs and/or didn't lose their photos, etc.

If the RMS is good why replace it? Laziness and it makes more money because the shop is going to charge the same labor anyways.

"Real" mechanics know how to fix things. Idiots just replace stuff....in the same way doctors nowadays never really ask enough questions to solve a problem...they'd just rather have the patient take medicine in the belief that the problem is solved (most drugs only treat...they don't cure).

[Not suggesting that it's feasible or economical to fix everything, but, it's a damned shame when you see what people throw away that is working....like computers, laptops, etc. Find them all the time in perfect condition in the dumpster near my apartment....of course I keep them and resell them....]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bradzuzu...

If they used the incorrect fluid wouldn't I have had problems before now? That was 2 years and 20k miles ago. I don't recall 100% but I'm pretty sure we even talked about the specific type of fluid they needed to use.

Smoke...

I agree 100%. I'm stuck in a tough place though. I guess I'll take my chances having the fluid checked. If I had a garage and vehicle stands/ramps I'd figure out how to check the damn thing myself. I'd also clean the RMS, assuming I could figure out the replacement procedure once it was clean. I'm a bit spooked because I've read so many posts on numerous boards where people had a much more screwed up tranny after the cleaning than before due to the sensor being out of whack after. At least my truck drives (for now).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wasn't referring to you, so, don't take offense :) (it was a general comment about the trend of automotive repair shops now....too much reliance on computers to tell the guys what is wrong makes them more stupid).

Chances are too as mentioned that due to lack of experience with these transmissions many shops won't know how to refill them properly. Low fluid can cause weird shifting too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts