Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Honda Passport 1994 3.2 4x4.

The Transmission is slipping, not changing gears and all kinda bad.

So, the 4L30-E was available across multiple cars, will any year/model/make drop in to my Isuzu-Honda?

I'm looking at a 1998 Cadi Catera Transmission, does anybody know if it wouold be a one for one swap, ya know connectors and all?

My alternate is is a newer Axiom.

Can you give me a range of direct swaps?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Isuzu got a slightly modified 4L30E (If I Recall Correctly), I think you will need an Isuzu donor. Likely from the same era. Rodeo owners will chime in shortly I'm sure.

~psguardian

·
Registered
160 Posts
something changed in the trannys in 98, so you will need one from the early to mid 90's. Other than that idk.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Different electrical connectors and sensors, IIRC. Jerry knows. Try sending him a PM to JLEMOND. Or if you're lucky he'll stop by and chime in.
But hes mentioned which models would fit a few times in the past. Im having a hard time finding the threads though.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Any Isuzu (or Isuzu made brands) '99 and under with the 4L30E will work. i just used a '99 trans in my '95. You need to reuse your mode switch since it's wiring harness is REALLY long compare to the newer stuff. You will also lose your dipstick if you go with a later trans (they use the drain/fill plugs). Everything else works. I doubt the Catera trans would work, I would try to stick in the Isuzu market. You have alot to choose from: 1999-down Trooper, Rodeo, Amigo, Passport, SLX, etc.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
You got a lot of years out of yours, if it's a 94....how many miles are on it?

Like to hear from others with the 4L30 in the older rodeo's/troops as they seem to last longer then the 98+ transmissions.

I have 200k on my 97, and 340k on my 91 automatic rodeo's

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Mine had over 180K, this '99 has 130K on it

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ramblin Fever:

Mine is about to turn 258,000 miles. Original engine/transmission.

Quite and smooth shifting. Can barely feel it shift.

Then again - my situation is more car-like.

2 wheel drive - mostly highway miles.

Frequent fluid/filter changes help in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The # of manuals here in the Zoo is good, just, ask seek and well Knockin' just doesn't do the web justice, if you get it you got!

I was gonna ask for this manual, and searching here I was able to Locate that it was already available.

See the below Quote from Mallen himself!

"The name says it all. This is the Honda Passport service manual. Many of the pages actually say Isuzu on them.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u8j58y

Link should work now."

:dark1:

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
isuzu95 said:
Ramblin Fever:

Mine is about to turn 258,000 miles. Original engine/transmission.

Quite and smooth shifting. Can barely feel it shift.

Then again - my situation is more car-like.

2 wheel drive - mostly highway miles.

Frequent fluid/filter changes help in my opinion.
My situation is very car-like, except for a few years of mild off-roading, my truck's always been 80% highway driven.

Now days, except for our 10 mile dirt/mud driveway it's 90% highway driven.

I do change the fluid every 15k miles, sometimes less because now it's only averaging 6-7k miles a year and I dump the fluid every spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after reading the service manual, I find that the ECM may be the problem.

The Ride currently has:

8-16196-319-0 GM# 16196319 3.2s aut IEFI-s

The manual specs:

8-16205-429-0 GM# 16205429 3.2s aut TCM-6

can anybody weigh in on the interchangeability of ECM and What is the one that's currently in the vehicle actually for?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.