Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I have been drooling over this mint condition white 1994 Trooper S. So I pulled up the KBB RETAIL price in EXELENT condition from a dealership lot. KBB says $2,391.00. Yet they want $4,900.00 for theirs!!!!! :shock: What gives!

http://www.garymathewsmotors.com/used/I ... 92409.htm#

By the way, I sent them an e-mail asking WHY they want DOUBLE of the KBB Maximum value.
I know these are going UP in price, But REALLY???? DOUBLE KBB VALUE????? If they keep going up too much, I will have to resort to a JEEP! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
I think they are smoking crack. I mean seriously...that is so stupid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,897 Posts
Pull up NADA and even Edmunds FMV price for comparison as there is often a huge difference but you're right, twice KBB is certainly over the top. I've not checked any pricing for this, but can tell you I tried to deal on a Ford Ranger that needed a clutch. It too was overpriced. This dealer is a "no hassle" new GM dealer, all prices clearly marked on the windshield, home of bottom line pricing, yadda-yadda. I made the salesman an offer, gave him my number and left...telling him not to even call me if it was one dollar more. They called me, got me in there only to tell me their price was firm. I was hot at them wasting my time and told them my offer was fair since it clearly needed a clutch. They replied if it needed a clutch they'd not mess with it and instead sell it to a smaller dealer, rather then come down a dime on their firm price! Needless to say, I left. Couple months passed and they did lower the price about $500.00 but I kept my word and will never visit that dealer again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
What I've found is some of these lots are more in the finance business than the car business. Like here maybe they have 1k in it and is nice. They sell it to you for 2.5k and they make 1.5k minus some expenses.

Or they let someone put 1k down and recover their costs. Maybe the buyer makes the payments and eventually they get another 3.9k. But if they are lucky the buyer never makes a payment and in 60 days they repo it and get another buyer to put down 1k. Rinse and repeat as necessary - is in their benefit to repo the truck as many times as possible.

So sure I'd make them a fair offer and be ready to walk away - but I would bet that you will end up walking away because selling for cash costs them money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,980 Posts
Well....................it's a used car lot. They are in business to make money. You can always go down on the price but never go up. Walk in and whip-out 15 $100 bills and lay them on the desk and tell them that is all you can put into it. They'll start negotiating when they see CA$H!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
My buddy just bought a mint 90 Trooper that just needs the clutch bled. It was being sold for $950 but he walked away with it for $800. Cheaper than I paid and mine was leaking oil to the tune of a quart a day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,073 Posts
COYOTE102076 said:
Long story short, I have been drooling over this mint condition white 1994 Trooper S. So I pulled up the KBB RETAIL price in EXELENT condition from a dealership lot. KBB says $2,391.00. Yet they want $4,900.00 for theirs!!!!! :shock: What gives!
Well, if it comes with a ARB bullbar, teralow gears, rock sliders, 33" BFG MTs, custom rear bumper, HD tie rods etc. it might be worth $4,900... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
iT WAS EATING ME ALIVE! :lol:

I called them & talked to Chris Moliene. ( One of the "INTERNET SALES TEAM MEMBERS!" ) <--- (said Sarcastically!)

Told him I was interested in it, had cash in hand, would make the hour & half drive to come buy it,
IF, IF he would sell it for at least NADA book value ($2,750.00) He said "we have $2,875.00 in it! I cant take less than what I have in it."

So I said "Then you would sell it to me at cost then & take $2,875 then?"

After being on hold for 3 minuts, Chris came back & said "Yes, we would"

Now, I know they do NOT really have "$2,875.00" in it. I am not stupid.
I have NEVER seen a dealership have MORE than RETAIL "IN" a vehicle. UNLESS the salesman who traded for it was desperate to move it & put to much in it. ( I have done this myself when I offerd a customer too much for his used tractor just so I could get the sales comission on the new tractor. Came back to bite me an the ***, and I no longer will sell new tractors at our Massey dealership. From now on, I stick to my job title, Parts Dept. Mgr! lol )

ANYWHOOOOOOOO,
I am OK with a dealership making a LITTLE money on a vehicle. It DOES cost a LOT to keep a busness open. A mind blowingly large sum. Anyone here who has their own car/truck/tractor/ OHV or boat dealership knows exactly what I am takling about.

I am going to go look at it Monday night at 6:15 PM. That's my appointment for a test drive.

If Terry does not hurry the h. up & give me a price on my old trooper, i may very well be coming home with this one!
:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decided "oh, i just might want to tell my WIFE what i am dooing!"

Her responce:

" Oh #$%I,,,, not ANOTHER &^$# &$%^ TROOPER!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gott'a love it! She does things that irritate the crap out of me.

"Hello Mr. Doctor, my name is Kevin, and I am an isuzuhollic with no known cure!"

:headbang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
Nobody should ever buy a vehicle from any used car dealer. No matter how good a deal you think you got, you're getting screwed. As for them asking twice the KBB value...they're simply waiting for some idiot to show up on their door with enough cash and lack of I.Q. to take it off their hands. These days, it usually doesn't take long for the person they're looking for to show up.

They may have as much as $1500 in the trooper you're looking at, but I doubt it.

If it's in PERFECT condition, I'd drive it, check the oil very closely, as well as the entire suspension, and then offer them a couple of hundred BELOW what it's worth according to KB, being sure to count the cash out right in front of them. They may hem and haw a little, and say they can't do it, but if you hold firm and act like you don't give a crap, they'll probably accept the offer before they let you get away. If not, then you can just let them sell it to somebody else, if they can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I completely agree with you Rhodes. The wife is OK with me getting another Trooper.
Well, she said I could go buy it. Not sure if she is really " OK " with it. :lol:

I had 100% intention on going tonight & looking at it, but it looks like I may now have to stay here tonight. :(

If I can't get over there tonight, it will be this WEEKEND before I can have enough time to go & check it out.

I guess if it is gone by then, then it was just ment to be. :roll:

I STILL have heard NOTHING from Terry on my old Trooper. On one hand, I dont want to jump the gun on this one, on the other hand, a mint cond. '94 Troop is geting VERY hard to find & would hate to miss out on this deal!

What to do, what to do, Waht to do! :shock: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
COYOTE102076 said:
I completely agree with you Rhodes. The wife is OK with me getting another Trooper.
Well, she said I could go buy it. Not sure if she is really " OK " with it. :lol:

I had 100% intention on going tonight & looking at it, but it looks like I may now have to stay here tonight. :(

If I can't get over there tonight, it will be this WEEKEND before I can have enough time to go & check it out.

I guess if it is gone by then, then it was just ment to be. :roll:

I STILL have heard NOTHING from Terry on my old Trooper. On one hand, I dont want to jump the gun on this one, on the other hand, a mint cond. '94 Troop is geting VERY hard to find & would hate to miss out on this deal!

What to do, what to do, Waht to do! :shock: :lol:
At that asking price, it's probably not going anywhere for awhile, I wouldn't worry too much :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
I saw that ad and thought it was high as well. I've been keeping an eye on listings for 2nd gen Troopers as a possible replacement for my 1990.
I do think it's fair to pay a dealer more because they have a lot more overhead than an individual seller.
IMHO, buying from a "reputable" dealer gives you a little more confidence that the vehicle isn't about to fall apart or that at will at least pass emissions testing. This alone might cost you hundreds of dollars if you buy from an individual and spend a lot of time getting it to pass emissions.

BTW, I'm not ready to buy a truck just yet or I would have already bought that one. :wink:

Good luck with whatever you decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talked to Chris again today. The price is set at $2,875.00 CASH, and I got Wednesday night freed up!
So at 3:00 Wednesday afternoon, I am heading up there to get it. ( Provided it does "run & drive like a new one" as they say it does. And that the frame is not months away from rusting completely into! :roll:

Decided the 1994 Trooper IS what I want for a VERY LONG time: Check
Got the wife to go allong with the deal & the money in the bank to buy it: Check
Got a truck & trailer lined up to to it back home: Check
Got Wednesday night off to go get it: Check

The ONLY thing(s) stopping me from geting this trooper is
1) They sell it out from under me before I can get there Wednesday night. OR
2) The Trooper is not as described / has major mechanical issues.

Come this time Wednesday night, it should be sitting in my shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO UNBELIEVABLY VERY EXITED!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

" Back in the saddle again,,,,,,,,,"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CASE CLOSED! SEE NEW POST IN MEMBERS RIDES TITLE OF " YAY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
BigSwede said:
COYOTE102076 said:
Long story short, I have been drooling over this mint condition white 1994 Trooper S. So I pulled up the KBB RETAIL price in EXELENT condition from a dealership lot. KBB says $2,391.00. Yet they want $4,900.00 for theirs!!!!! :shock: What gives!
Well, if it comes with a ARB bullbar, teralow gears, rock sliders, 33" BFG MTs, custom rear bumper, HD tie rods etc. it might be worth $4,900... :wink:
No it's not. I can't help it if someone put all sorts of doodads on it. I don't care if it's a custom transfer case or dealer rust protection, I am not paying for doodads. I'm paying for a vehicle. Not my problem if they have too much money in it. :twisted:

When I'm buying from a dealer I don't worry about offending them with my offer. If they want my money they'll take it and if they don't then I'll go elsewhere. I NEVER get emotionally involved in a vehicle purchase. I had a salesman screaming in my face one day at Ricart Ford in Columbus Ohio. He called me a stupid hillbilly because I was offering a cash deal on a vehicle and wasn't into playing his bait and switch game. After he finished his rant I calmly replied that my offer was a good one and he knew it. He exploded in a rage and started throwing papers all over the show room. Everyone else was leaving the show room so I got up and left, too. I bought the same Jeep the next day at my offering price from a dealer who understood dollars and cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,073 Posts
jeepnstein said:
BigSwede said:
COYOTE102076 said:
Long story short, I have been drooling over this mint condition white 1994 Trooper S. So I pulled up the KBB RETAIL price in EXELENT condition from a dealership lot. KBB says $2,391.00. Yet they want $4,900.00 for theirs!!!!! :shock: What gives!
Well, if it comes with a ARB bullbar, teralow gears, rock sliders, 33" BFG MTs, custom rear bumper, HD tie rods etc. it might be worth $4,900... :wink:
No it's not. I can't help it if someone put all sorts of doodads on it. I don't care if it's a custom transfer case or dealer rust protection, I am not paying for doodads. I'm paying for a vehicle. Not my problem if they have too much money in it. :twisted:
I hear ya, but I was actually making an inside joke regarding the Trooper I bought recently...to me it was worth more because all the "doodads" were exactly what I wanted, and it saved me the work of buying and installing the stuff myself (no small task, especially for the teralows). But no doubt, if you aren't planning on getting the extras anyway, then they are worthless to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
My '95 rodeo 3.2 is VERY clean.

KBB says it's worth $1086.00

This dealer is fishing for a fool and because the vehicle is cherry - he'll eventually find one.

Walk away.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top