Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you tell if a isuzu has the upgraded gears? i go to the yard often and see alot of isuzu's and will do the work if i know that a truck has 5.38's in it. so my main question is, is there an option code telling you there is gold in the 3rd or not? or how to tell?

thanks,
dunlap

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
5.38's were aftermarket and honestly, if you found one in a yard you'd be striking gold IMO. Only way to tell would be to open the diff up and count the ring and pinion teeth. The 4.77's came in '89 Trooper RS's, 89-91 Troopers (I believe those years) with the big tire package and snowflakes but that will be hard to verify so you'd have to check the teeth, also the 2nd gen Amigo's with the 4cyl and a 5spd got 4.77's, but the front diff if early '98 uses a different carrier that doesn't accept the current lockers out there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what would the teeth count be on the 5.38 and the 4.77 and the stock 4.39... anything would help cause i do believe i know where a set of 4.77 is sitting. :)

dunlap

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Count 'em up and do the math...divide the number of ring gear teeth by the number of pinion gear teeth.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Another quick way to tell is to mark the pinion and axle then spin the pinion yoke. The number of revolutions the pinion makes for one axle rotation gives you a rough idea.. Both axles hopefully need to spin. Otherwise the spider gears if equiped will throw it off. So if its really realy low like the 4:77 the pinion will rotate 4 and 3/4 times per one axle rotation. May have to do it a couple times for a good estimate

·
Registered
346 Posts
Seen those 4.77's in all sorts of different axles. Not all of them have the 6zn or whatever on the option plate. If I am not mistaken you can hold one wheel and turn the other one 2 times and count the pinion turns. Best way is to count teeth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts