Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought id throw it out there.. 2nd gen bronco front coils gave my truck a 4.5" lift and an amazing ride..
picked up a pair for $20 at the JY and i am very pleased with them..
stock coils - 13.5"tall, 4.5" center..
2nd gen Bronco front coils - 17" tall, 4.5" center..

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Pics! or it didn't happen. :drunken:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yea pmat I'd like to see that too!

By them figures I'm reckonin 2nd Gen Bronco front springs would lift a 2nd Gen Rodeo up ~6.5"...Holy crap that's all I can say lol!

I hope these work!

-Robert

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some might not get as much lift as i did, seeing as my old coils were 100% shot, it would bottom out going 5mph over a speed bump.
heres some pics. and yes i know my shocks are screwed :p
I painted them Blue so they look cool, and they were rusty.

this is where it sits now, it looks small in the pic for some reason, but i have about 6-7" from the tire to the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Neat, I like people getting creative. Something I appreciate about Isuzu's over say a...Jeep where anybody can catalog shop, the owners are creative and resourceful in this Isuzu crowd

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work at a quick oil change place, so everytime a 4x4 came in, i grabbed my tape measure and checked out the coils. im still searching for other alternatives :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
pmat said:
I work at a quick oil change place, so everytime a 4x4 came in, i grabbed my tape measure and checked out the coils. im still searching for other alternatives :)
There's one guy here who supposedly swapped in some ZJ coils and got 3"-4" of lift. Based on the figures you got pmat I'd say bronco coils would be the way to go, though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep, mine are off a 1990. I heard about the jeep coils, but he has a rodeo i think, so if he got 4" lift, i would have gotten about 2".

·
Registered
676 Posts
pmat said:
yep, mine are off a 1990. I heard about the jeep coils, but he has a rodeo i think, so if he got 4" lift, i would have gotten about 2".
Yup he's got a 98 like me I think.
I've always kinda wondered when lifting these trucks why we don't add longer control arms in the rear. I remember my Jeep buddy lifted his XJ like 4" and his lift came with longer control arms. I couldn't imagine getting 6" of lift in the rear and the factory links articulating with that much longer of a spring.

-Robert

·
Registered
90 Posts
TKEPA251 said:
pmat said:
Yup he's got a 98 like me I think.
I've always kinda wondered when lifting these trucks why we don't add longer control arms in the rear. I remember my Jeep buddy lifted his XJ like 4" and his lift came with longer control arms. I couldn't imagine getting 6" of lift in the rear and the factory links articulating with that much longer of a spring.

-Robert
Because generally speaking the isuzu rear suspension design is far superior to any suspension ever offered in a jeep. The isuzu rear suspension is by aftermarket terms already a "long arm" suspension due to the length of the links. Plus its a 3 link w/ a panhard bar which is a well designed suspension (not necessarily the best for a rear suspension but not bad by any means). The problem w/ the jeep suspension is they are 4 links with a panhard bar AKA a 5 link. Its stupidly over design, fights its self, binds, and to boot the arms are super short. Thats why jeep guys jump to replace them with long arm kits.

·
Registered
676 Posts
stomis said:
Because generally speaking the isuzu rear suspension design is far superior to any suspension ever offered in a jeep. The isuzu rear suspension is by aftermarket terms already a "long arm" suspension due to the length of the links. Plus its a 3 link w/ a panhard bar which is a well designed suspension (not necessarily the best for a rear suspension but not bad by any means). The problem w/ the jeep suspension is they are 4 links with a panhard bar AKA a 5 link. Its stupidly over design, fights its self, binds, and to boot the arms are super short. Thats why jeep guys jump to replace them with long arm kits.
That makes perfect sense, except dont we have 5-link rear suspensions? I've 4 control arms and a panhard bar...

-Robert

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
TKEPA251 said:
That makes perfect sense, except dont we have 5-link rear suspensions? I've 4 control arms and a panhard bar...

-Robert
Yes, 98+ Rodeos are 4 linked and 92+ Troopers are 3 linked.

If you install enough lift you may want to make/buy longer links in order to recenter the rear axle and gain a little bit of travel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hatfield said:
TKEPA251 said:

-Robert
Yes, 98+ Rodeos are 4 linked and 92+ Troopers are 3 linked.

If you install enough lift you may want to make/buy longer links in order to recenter the rear axle and gain a little bit of travel.
Yeah sorry Im only familiar w/ troopers.

Its a shame the rodeos have 5 links but still and all if the links are something like the length of the troopers then its still trumps the jeep design. I think our links come in around 30in or so (just by eyeballing it) wheras a jeep is literally like 18in.

·
Registered
676 Posts
stomis said:

Its a shame the rodeos have 5 links but still and all if the links are something like the length of the troopers then its still trumps the jeep design. I think our links come in around 30in or so (just by eyeballing it) wheras a jeep is literally like 18in.
I know I've got a surprising amount of articulation for a heavy, stock rig so I aint really complainin...except I'd love for mine to be 4x4. I'm so limited with it being 2wd. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a 4x4 and have some fun with it.

-Robert

·
Registered
90 Posts
TKEPA251 said:
stomis said:

I know I've got a surprising amount of articulation for a heavy, stock rig so I aint really complainin...except I'd love for mine to be 4x4. I'm so limited with it being 2wd. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a 4x4 and have some fun with it.

-Robert
Solid axle swap makes 4wd conversion cake :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
stomis said:
Solid axle swap makes 4wd conversion cake :D
SAS costs BIG $$$ and time. Two thing I aint got at the moment. I would love to SAS Suzy one day, but for now she'll just have to stay 2wd.

-Robert

·
Registered
676 Posts
stomis said:
It can be cheap if you play your cards right. Seen a leaf SAS done for under $700
I won't cheap out on a SAS. To me that defeats the purpose.

I'll be savin the SAS for way on down the road though.

-Robert

1 - 20 of 21 Posts