Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching several engine swaps and I was wondering if anyone happend to know if anyone still make the adapter plate to connect a 4.3L Vortec GM motor to the 2.8L GM in a manual transmission Trooper?

Thanks,
KTT

P.S. What's the part number for the manual transmission in a '91 2.8L Trooper?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
It's a lot easier to bolt up a 3.4 to the stock 60 deg V6 Isuzu MUA-5 Tranny.

You can get approx 180HP or more thru the use of simple bolt-ons, and you'll use most of your stock 2.8 peripherals.

I have all the info you need if you're interested.

Quite frankly, if you were going to go thru all the trouble of engineering a 4.3 swap, which would include a new tranny & transfer case not to mention everything else, for similar effort you could install a Chevy Vortec 4800 or 5300 V8 and get tons of HP and torque, more than you could possibly achieve with a normally aspirated 4.3.

Just depends on your needs and how much labor and $$$ you wish to expend on the project.

The 3.4 offers lots of Bang for the Buck$ and externally is virtually indistinguishable from a 2.8, if you're in a place where emissions are important. Plus most 3.4 conversions have no problem passing smog test providing all the emissions controls are intact and working.

I've got all the info you need if you'd like it.

Check out these links for good info on 90 deg GM engine swaps:

http://community.webshots.com/album/47331424qGNRMU

http://www.off-road.com/isuzu/v6trooper.html (take a look at their expenditures and amount of custom fabrication, even using the AA kit)

HTH........ed

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ed. I've still got the information saved that you sent me awhile ago. I do have a question for you though.

I asked you about the 3.4 DOHC before and I can't remember what it was you said would be the problems with using it.

Thanks,
KTT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.