Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light has been on since I bought vehicle. I will go off after disconnecting battery overnight but come back on about 15 mins to an hour of driving. Autozone reads a EGR Valve code. I just replaced it for the 3rd time and after leaving battery disconnected overnight-next day of driving about an hour "check engine" lights again. Could this be a bad EGR wire connector or a shorted wire? Which PINs or wire colors on the ECU are the EGR valve?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You can pull your intake pipe and open the throttle butterfly and with a flash light look straight in to the tube. It should have a nice big opening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant remember the exact code at this time. I just know it was an EGR code. Thanks. Ill check it out tomorrow morning...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cleaning the tube between the EGR valve and the trottle body fixed everything that was wrong with my '96 trooper. No more stalling, no more codes, no more 12MPG, and no more idle with a mind of it's own. :D Try it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Many people make the mistake of replacing something just because it's mentioned in a code description. Find out the EXACT code. I'd be willing to bet it's "EGR insufficient flow" which would indicate a clogged EGR tube in the intake, behind the throttle body.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made the mistake! It was the end of the tube clogged up in the intake. I finally had a chance to look at it today. I took the EGR valve off and blew it out with compressed air then cleaned it out real good with a piece of metal wire with a loop on the end hooked to a battery drill. Blew it all out and reassembled. I wanted to take out the access screw-it would have been better but it didnt seem to fit my metric or standard allen wrenches too well and it slipped hex twice so I gave up to avoid making it worse for now (easy out or drill out oneday :cry: ) I guess if the check engine light doesnt go out after drving for a couple days I will unplug the battery overnight for an ECU reset and try from there. Its pretty obvious this issue is solved now! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You need to make sure the OTHER end of the tube is clear. Behind the throttle body. This is where they clog 99.9999999% of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes-behind the butterfly valve. This was the main clog. I forgot to mention that is was behind the throttle body. The entire pipe was cleaned. :)

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Clean pipes are good !!! :) quick way to reset the brain is unhook the battery put the key in the start position for a few seconds, key off hook up battery and it's done. Better way is with a scanner, then you don't get a batter unhooked message but it's all good...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts