Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good time, wish I would have brought my truck. I did catch Jerry off road with his Trooper :D :shock: and I wouldn't say that with out proof so.....

Was having too much fun to take pictures but I got this one that's cool. I'll let someone else tell the story.

Jerry was about to run out of gas so he had to turn his back while ga troope stole gas from cronk.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D wow look like everyone is having a great time 8) recon

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Paint chip said:
I did catch Jerry off road with his Trooper :D :shock: and I wouldn't say that with out proof so.....

(Good call on the photos ;) )

GO JERRY!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I didn't get much but I'll be uploading what I do have.

Pictures don't do off-road stuff justice and what looks like a silly hill was really quite steep. The Jeep TJ has an overly stiff factory front sway bar which can be disconnected to allow 3x the articulation. I decided to leave it connected at Beasley. That's why the front is pretty straight in that pic, though because it was teetering, I think it helped stability and a possible roll.

I was coming down, saw the ledge and using the brakes, inched down it ever so slightly. It just kept getting steeper and steeper with every inch forward. I knew it should be leveling out again soon but also felt that it would flop any second. When I heard the dash chime come on along with "check gauges" light to alert me of low oil pressure ('03-'06 TJ has fake oil pressure gauge - just a switch that the computer tells the needle to dance around) I shut the engine down and called for a spotter on the CB. Then feathered the clutch as a "brake" down to get a bit more level so I could restart the engine. The 4.0 I6 is a long engine and we were tilted so steep that all the oil went to the front of the engine starving the pickup. I recently replaced this pan as the original got crushed on rocks (now has a skid plate) and the aftermarket pan has an extra baffle inside to prevent just this from happening (not that it's common) it was -very- steep.

Had a great time! It was awesome to see the Isuzu's out and talk to Jerry again. It makes me want to get a Trooper again but I've got enough projects as it is. I'd like to join along for more in the future :).

Oh and Towns county, GA takes their traffic cones very seriously...

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Night Wolf said:
I didn't get much but I'll be uploading what I do have.

Pictures don't do off-road stuff justice and what looks like a silly hill was really quite steep. The Jeep TJ has an overly stiff factory front sway bar which can be disconnected to allow 3x the articulation. I decided to leave it connected at Beasley. That's why the front is pretty straight in that pic, though because it was teetering, I think it helped stability and a possible roll.

I was coming down, saw the ledge and using the brakes, inched down it ever so slightly. It just kept getting steeper and steeper with every inch forward. I knew it should be leveling out again soon but also felt that it would flop any second. When I heard the dash chime come on along with "check gauges" light to alert me of low oil pressure ('03-'06 TJ has fake oil pressure gauge - just a switch that the computer tells the needle to dance around) I shut the engine down and called for a spotter on the CB. Then feathered the clutch as a "brake" down to get a bit more level so I could restart the engine. The 4.0 I6 is a long engine and we were tilted so steep that all the oil went to the front of the engine starving the pickup. I recently replaced this pan as the original got crushed on rocks (now has a skid plate) and the aftermarket pan has an extra baffle inside to prevent just this from happening (not that it's common) it was -very- steep.

Had a great time! It was awesome to see the Isuzu's out and talk to Jerry again. It makes me want to get a Trooper again but I've got enough projects as it is. I'd like to join along for more in the future :).

Oh and Towns county, GA takes their traffic cones very seriously...
HAD A GOOD TIME , MADE IT BACK TO THE GAS STATION WITH JOES GAS , WIFE HAD A GOOD TIME , TILL I STARTED GETTING TO CLOSE TO THE EDGES OF THE MT AND JESSE WAS LAUGHING AT HER , GOOD TIME BY ALL, YEAH AND RICK GOT A SOUVENEIR TO HANG ON THE WALL , JERRY

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Just got in a bit ago, my co-driver is a bit tired........

Had a good time once again! The trails were cool but I think the Isuzu Fellowship is what makes the trips fun!

Rick and I toured some more forest service roads today which took us through some more nice areas. Very scenic, we got a few good photos.

To give you an idea how steep the trails are at Beasley, look at this side on view from inside the rodeo. This is a typical climb from this weekend. I'd say that's close to 30 degrees. Totally different than any where else I have wheeled. Had a blast once again!

Will try to get some other pics uploaded soon.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Now, put yourself in a little muddy noisy red pickemup truck and goose the skinny pedal on that hill... WEEEEEEEEEEEEE. :lol:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Picture time! I didn't really take too many and the quality isn't that great but here they are. I need to look into 2 key components when I return to these trails. Stainless steel brake lines and terra lows! I did finally use my ARB! Worked like a champ!

Friday it was just Van and I. My 1st impression of the trails was shock at how steep they were. Imagine that picture I posted above for a mile or so straight! The only real breaks in a lot of the trails are the moguls that were put in place to divert the runoff. They were steep going up and seemed steeper coming down! My brakes were a bit spongy on the descent which made me really nervous at times. I can't imagine coming down those slopes after it has rained! It's funny what people think of our trucks. When we first went in there a guy on an ATV tried to tell us not to take "those trucks" in there. Later on, on the trail, we encountered a couple jeeps on 35s. Van was asking them about the conditions on up the trail. The trail leader told us that Van's truck might make it but "that one" won't, pointing at mine. We went down the trail he told us we couldn't do...... That's where most of these photos were taken.

Pictures from Friday.
Entering the trails from the forest service road.

The first rocky part

Letting the dog drive! :D

A little socializing Saturday morning before heading out.

Pictures from the trails on Saturday.

Some self promotion:

A few of Van

Jesse Scott

GaTrooper

Showing some flex

More flex, Welcome to the gun show.

Jeeps are welcome

Nightwolf getting a bit tippy

This guy broke off from the Rovers to ride with the real trucks!

A few from the forest access road trip. The roads were eroded pretty bad in a few spots but overall pretty good. I only got pics of the river crossing.

Sunday Rick and I visited some more forest access roads. They were about the same, eroded in some spots with a few muddy spots butt not bad at all. Very scenic with a few water falls along the way.

Higher up we got into a section devastated by what must have been a tornado, trees were snapped off and pushed over all over the place. Had we been much taller, we would have had trouble getting through.

Towards the end of this one, I noticed a loud rattle and stopped to investigate. Seems the cobble stone road conditions worked my drivers side caliper bolts loose. The caliper was just hanging there........ We took it easy from there and made our way to the nearest auto parts store for some bolts. No bolts so I robbed one from my passenger side which got me home.

All in all a good trip!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D wow great pictures 8) recon

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Thanks to everyone that attended. I had a great time although it was hot and humid.

If everyone that attended could please take the following survey, I'm sure it will help to keep the park open and maybe even improve it.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/kwhj5pv

Now on to some pics with more to follow and some video when I get them uploaded.

Orange cones :? :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
wow... where was all that water? I don't remember that from last year :shock:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Water was part of the forest service roads to went to afterwards. The water level was the lowest I've ever seen it, exposed rocks all over, usually it is much deeper. Fun place to play around in.

Wow, those pictures of my Jeep from the back sorta show the steepness of it - keeping in mind the whole trail was already a steep downhill, the part I was on was that much steeper!

The forest roads we took on Sunday were nice as they climbed up the mountain with some nice views along the way. We got up to 3500ft but cut the ride short due to the brake caliper bolts.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Man I wish I could have made it!! :shock:

It looks like you all ran some different trails that last year. I remember steep, rocky, slick, loose, sliding, but the river crossing I do not.

Next year boys!! Thanks for posting the pics.

P.S. Way to go Jerry for getting some mud on the tires!!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
2002trooper4me said:
Man I wish I could have made it!! :shock:

It looks like you all ran some different trails that last year. I remember steep, rocky, slick, loose, sliding, but the river crossing I do not.

Next year boys!! Thanks for posting the pics.

P.S. Way to go Jerry for getting some mud on the tires!!
HI MIKE , WE HAD A GOOD TIME MISSED YOU UP THERE AND YEAH I GOT MY NEW TIRES ALL MUDDY, AND HAD TO GO TO THE CAR WASH THIS MORN HAHA HOPE TO SEE YA IN OCT .. JERRY

·
Registered
749 Posts
Beasley is only 4 hours from me, not too bad of a drive for a beautiful area. If anyone wants to make another trip in the upcoming months it'd be great.

This was my second ride this year, the first being Gulches, SC in March. First ride on the new clutch and (reman) transmission. Control arm bushings are shot but still did well. Poor tires have 20k on them and only a handful of wheelin trips.

Most surprising was the 18.1mpg on the return trip after filling up a 2nd time at the ethanol-free Citgo, which included the forest road drive and up to 85mph on the interstate. I use the local ethanol free gas station all the time, but that stuff was extra good! Even with check engine light for bad bank 2 upstream O2 sensor.

Here's the Heep before meeting up with the group. Trail prep was airing down to 11psi which I did here. I left the front sway bar connected (drastically reduces articulation) and the only spot it may have helped was that steep down hill area, probably would have kept all the tires on the ground.

The list of mods is quite extensive, many are supporting mods for others or improvements for driveability/offroad/durability etc... Basics: 2.5" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 4.0 I6, 6spd, stock NP231 xfercase 2.72:1 low, stock F: D30 R: D44 3.73 axles.

This is all I took at Beasley

forest roads

Sunday. We planned on riding another part of the mountain but loosing caliper bolts on the Rodeo brought the decision to get back on pavement. Was a really nice scenic drive through the mountain!

·
Registered
749 Posts
lol, I will share the cones - gotta get some sleep now though! It was the joke on Sunday with several "dang nabbit - stirin up a ruckus in ma town - right in front of me too!"

It goes down as another wheelin story for the future - like going totally airborn in a big way my first time out/with the Jeep, getting pulled over for waving a gun (CB mic, I don't own a gun) to alert a trucker of bad trailer lights, driving thru the hailstorm surrounded by tornados and others.

Thinking back if I knew the outcome I would have did things differently, like not stay on the same road for his buddy to pull me over - 2.5 miles later.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts