Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Why isn't the Isuzu 3.2 listed? Doesn't it use the same block as the 3.5? I didn't realize it was the same bolt pattern as the 2.8.... Hmmmmm

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
It's been thought of, probably too much uncertainty for someone to jump in & try it.
According to the link the SC3800 starter would be on the wrong side. Can it be re-drilled like the 3.4 GM? Will the 3.8 flywheel mate to the relocated starter? What about the Isuzu torque converter to the Buick fywheel? Is the Isuzu tranny input shaft the right length & size? Only way to know if it will fit together is to gather the parts & try it. If so then you are left to make all the electronics work.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
there are a lot of problems that come with swaping engines on an automatic isuzu. Sure, sure, the 4L30-E gives you the option to put in a variety of engines, but in my opinion this is what what it comes down to. You swap in a engine that makes a good amount of torque like a V8, but then the 4L30-E isnt the best candidate and it will probably not hold up. If you put something along the lines of what the 4L30-E can handle, like a mid size v6, then youre doing a whole lot of work for nothing. In stock forms the 3.2L makes more power than the 3800. I dont know much about the 3800, but I can only assume that you'd want such an engine because it has a good aftermarket and you want to mod it for some extra juice. Once again you'll deal with issue one. Too much power is not good for the 4L30-E.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Agreed. The stock Supercharged 3800 puts down 240 to 260 horsepower depending on the application and series. But the torque is up at 280ft/lbs which it what will be stressing a 4L30E. I would not hesitate to bolt it to an MUA5 though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated. I guess it's better to get a good 2004 Rodeo with the 3.5L direct-injected engine if I want more power without breaking anything.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't think the drivetrain in these things will stand up to more than 200 ponies on a regular basis, unless it's really babies. Putting a turbo charged 250 or 280 horsepower 3800 is pointless unless you plan on rebuilding the transmission and T-case with extremely durable parts, and swapping differentials out with something bigger and stronger.

If I were going to go that route, I'd go with a Chevy 350, a 700R4 (or 4l60e) and Dana 44's out of a 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4. Parts are cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is the 4L30E. I don't see any issue with an MUA5 the T-Case or the rear axle. The Isuzu 12 Bolt is stronger than a D44.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the older BMW 5-series had the 4L30E trans too, and those were V8's. Is the Aisin trans off the 2004 3.5L DI Rodeo much stronger?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The Aisin is much stronger than the 4L30E, that's why they put them with the 250hp DI Rodeo's. Some 03's also have them, my 2003 Rodeo came with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it possible to swap the Aisin in place of the 4L30E in the Rodeos that have the 4L30E or is it too much work?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
its possible but lots of work. Someone did it a couple years ago, but he worked at a shop and had a lot of resources available to him. This isnt even mentioning the custom controller he installed. The controller it self was like 700 bucks if I recall correctly.

Reactions: 98HPasSport

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did 4L30E to AISIN AW30-40LS swap. Easy mechanically, but need a lot of work with wires, especially, if you want to keep CEL happy.
Next time, if I will do swap, I will use whole powertrain with original controllers.
Regarding my swap, I'm very happy with AISIN transmission. Put 35K miles on it with 33" tires. On/off road. No problem yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Picture dump:

EFI is Megasquirt. Lotta work for this level of swap but satisfying.

Swap thread

Sadly, the truck has been parked for a few years waiting for me to re-build the front suspension. Full drivetrain is the 3800 w/ Ford Lightning blower, the elusive Isuzu bellhousing, Jeep AW4 with a simple rotary switch for shifting, Dana 300 w/ twin cable shifter, 4:1 Klune-V, FJ80 front axle, stock 12 bolt rear axle.

--Dan

·
Registered
150 Posts
And best of all its a pickup finally a pickup that's bad*ss and doesn't belong to ron,
you're still the man though ron

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
98HPasSport said:
I think the older BMW 5-series had the 4L30E trans too, and those were V8's. Is the Aisin trans off the 2004 3.5L DI Rodeo much stronger?
the largest size BMW that the 4L30E came in was the 528i. that was a 2.8L engine that put out 190hp and about 208 ft. lbs. torque. the "third gen." troopers have 215hp, and the 4L30E handles that power somewhat decently. like anything else, if you take care of it and don't abuse it, it should treat you fine.
good luck on your endeavour.

cheers, john

1 - 20 of 38 Posts