Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading an article on improving the performance of the L32 3.4L V6 engnes that were in Cameros '93 -'95.Some insight into the 3.4L OHV Motor The author concludes the article with, "All this said, it seems to be that the 3.4L engine is a stout powerplant with untapped potential. I proved this when I bolted the aluminum heads to the block itself. Using a stock 3.4L RWD engine block I mated the Gen III aluminum heads and 3100 intake (1996 model year) along with the fuel rails and larger injectors, the stock 3400 throttle body. To upgrade the "3400" parts, I made sure I got a set of heads used on the 1999+ Grand Am GT, which featured bigger valves and roller rocker arms built in, as well as larger runners and ports on the plenum as well as an increased plenum size."

I now have the block, heads and intake to begin building this setup for my '92 Rodeo. Why you may ask. Well why not is the answer. I have done many Mechanicing jobs, repairs and swaps on cars, but I have never done a full rebuild on an engine. I have wanted to put a 3.4 in the Rodeport for a while. After reading the above article, I thought I'd give it a try. Should be fun!

3400 engine from '95 Camero

SFI Intake and heads from '99 Grand Am GT

I will update with more Photos as this project progresses.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
No doubt it'll breathe better than an iron-headed 3.4! I expect the biggest challenge you'll have is dealing with the EFI wiring since it's quite a bit different from the stock 3.1's TBI system. You'll definitely need to defeat the MPI's VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) as you won't have any of that on the old rig. Looks like VATS bypass modules are readily available and not too $$pendy.

Keep in mind you're still gonna have to drill the driver's side of the RWD 3.4 block to match the FWD starter configuration of the ZuZu 3.1 and MUA5 trans.

Get a drilling jig from Rodney Dickman Fieros to make this "hairy" task a cinch. http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=194

Only (2) of the (3) motor mount holes will line up to the block, you can live with that or weld a bracket onto the motor mount, which will go to the 3rd hole in the block. My 3.4 has been in for 14 years, 2-bolts-per-side, and the engine hasn't fallen out yet! :drunken: Some Loctite Blue on hi-strength bolts would do as well, I reckon.

Also keep in mind that if you don't change the 3.4 RWD pistons, you're gonna have quite high compression. There was a lot of info to go thru in that build thread at ls1.com but I think I read something like 11.5:1. The aluminum-head FWD'rs have deep-dished pistons to keep the compression ratio down to a more reasonable level, whereas the RWD pistons are shallower for the larger-chamber cast-iron heads. I'm thinking you'd go thru a lot of Premium Blend with the higher compression. Of course it would run a lot better than stock and produce more torque, to boot.

I'll certainly be interesting to see your progress, and find out how much performance my pore ol' Iron-Head engine is missing!!

Cheers............ed

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It has been done a few times in various cars. There is quite a nice swap in a Camaro over on 60degreev6.com. Some challenges for sure but I bet it will be fun.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VATS bypass, I had not even realized that would be a problem. I am sure I will learn a lot of new and exciting things with this project. I should be pulling the top end of tonight. Took the intake system off last night.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have one of these for loan, rent or sale? Rodney Dickman 3.4 V6 Swap Starter Relocation Jig Kit

·
Registered
755 Posts
Subscribed, and eager to see your results. BTW, Ed, geoff, or anyone else with input on this: Have any of you tried using a 3400 transverse-mounted block, which already has the correct placement of the starter (driver's side)? Do I recall reading somewhere about something being slightly different about the 3400-series blocks versus the 3.4L block? I'm looking at doing another V6 swap soon, and am considering options.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
kg4miq said:
Have any of you tried using a 3400 transverse-mounted block, which already has the correct placement of the starter (driver's side)? Do I recall reading somewhere about something being slightly different about the 3400-series blocks versus the 3.4L block? I'm looking at doing another V6 swap soon, and am considering options.
The 3400 block would probably work as well; later ones have cross-drilled bearing caps, and you wouldn't be able to bolt the "tin" deep 4x4 oil pan used in the 60-deg V6 4x4's (same as a Blazer 2.8 oil pan). You'd have to modify the aluminum oil pan to fit a 4x4. I've seen someone doing that kind of work but can't recall if it's at the 60degreeV6.com site or elsewhere.

Other than that, motor mount holes would be the other obstacle and not a big deal I expect.

For that matter, why not just throw a 3500 or one of the Next Gen 60-deg V6's in there?? I dunno if there would be any height issues but there are threads at the 60degreeV6 site for those kinds of swaps. The newer engines with variable valve timing make a lot of hp & torque.

http://www.milzymotorsports.com/3500-sw ... -vehicles/

https://sites.google.com/site/mgbswaps/engine/gm-lx9

If you're good with the EFI stuff, it'd be a heck of a swap!

A couple of good places to research:

http://60degreev6.com/forum/forumdispla ... 00Swap-com

http://60degreev6.com/forum/forumdispla ... ngine-Swap

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Began the striping of the block. For having over 200K miles appears to be in pretty good shape,

only a little wettness in #2 cyl.

Cylinder walls still show honing marks. There is no lip or ridge at the top.

·
Registered
1990 trooper 2, 76 Datsun 620
43 Posts
That's it huh? Just gave up or what? I'm about to do the same thing, it would be cool to see another person do it too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's one other guy that tried this in a 1st gen trooper and ended up selling the truck before completing the motor swap. He was trying to shoehorn the lx9 (3500) in there.
Keep the 3.4 block, drill the starter holes and locate to the proper side, use lx9 heads, LIM and UIM, and switch to DIS. Dynamic EFI will make the ecm tuneable. Apparently the hardest parts are the exhaust manifold fabrication and the clearance of the throttle body and radiator. I haven't done this so I'm no expert but I think it can be done. It's the route I really want to take. Also use an lx5 throttle body from the 2000-2002 aurora/intrigue Oldsmobile, it's a cable driven throttle body that fits the upper intake using an adapter plate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's where I get all my info. There's also third-gen.org, full throttle v6, even some stuff on the grand am forum.
Redoktober is the only person I know of that came close.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts