Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into a 3" suspention lift and a set of 33's for my 87 troop. questions are, 1) any rubbing on flex, and 2) could the 2.3l still push it ok? this isnt a daily driver, so im not greatly concerned about it, but i still want some power to crawl around uwharrie.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
33s are gonna suck on the road with a 2.3. I'd bet that you won't ever use 5th gear again. 33s on a 2.6 are usable, but can be a real dog on the hills.

Honestly you don't need huge tires. To fit them on a 1st gen you will probably have to do more than a 3" suspension lift. Either a body lift or some fender cutting. 33x10.50s will fit though, although you are limited to BFG or Super Swamper tires. 32s are a much easier fit, and 31s will easily fit with no lift.

-Tad

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm agree w/ Tad. MY 86 sucked w/ '31s. I cannot imagine running 33s. I live Iin TN (hills), but seeems like yor going to have a total sloth on your hands.

·
Registered
763 Posts
you'll feel a change inpower w/ the 31s, but no nearly as bad as the 33s. I think the 2.3 only made about 110HP.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice. i might just do a 2" lift for now and see how it goes from there. i know i can run the 31's stock but i love the look of a lifted 1st gen :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know that i do not have a trooper but still an isuzu 1991 4x4 p/u. I have installed both susp and body lift 3" both for a total of 6" lift. You can see the pics on the pics section. I currently run 31x10:50x 15's I do have the torshion bars cranked up with stock wheels. I have yet to trim the fenders to accomendate the future 33x12:50x15's that i want to install on the truck. I do have some POWER issues with the 33x10:50x15's even with a slightly bigger engine (GM 3.1 liter) 5 speed with 5:38 gears. Gas mileage sux as a daily driver. Not much better off road. I need more POWER!!! for what this info is worth. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'm running 31 x 10.5s on 8 inch rims on my 2.6.

Compared to stock, the main thing I noticed was it was a little harder to launch.

With the hills we have around here, 5th gear has never been much of a option even with the stock wheels & tires.

I just get a good run at it & usually, depending on traffic, drop down to 4th 1/2 to 2/3d way up the hill.

Nature of the beast.

Push a lot of wind, heavy, 120 whole hp.

Jim

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its not doing so bad on the 31's actually. besides the time it takes to get to highway speed, im not too concerned about how fast it doesnt go.

2.3L, 96 horsepower....catches wind like the broadside of a barn

·
Registered
21 Posts
why no one has told u this, is way beyond me........ go to a local auto store(r.e. like advanced autoparts) and make your own cold air intake with their parts and cone filters/or buy the one for the early civic/integra with the expensive quick disconnect hose clamp to keep it on...... then buy a cheap hi flow muffler like a turbo-flo copy.......find a buddy with a welder and put on a turndown tip....... if u can stand the fun noise every day, the difference right there for 130 bucks is night and day!!!..... even for the basic 10-13 hp u will gain......the 32's would have been ideal....but 33's would be withstandable with the mods plus plugs, wires, and possibly a MSD offroad ignition.... when we drive rigs like this, people forget we crawl-over stuff, we don't fly thru-it!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually, all i have is the straight pipe to the carb, the tubing is long gone before i got it. i can tell there has been some exhaust work, not sure what exactly. i am looking at the calmini header and then a 2.5 inch piping all the way out and run a test pipe instead of a cat (here, pre-96 vehicles need no cat). p.s. i did the cheapo advance auto air intake on my rodeo with great results. it did seem a bit ricey, but functioned, and had a dynomax super turbo on her.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not to knock the idea of 33s, but does the 87 still have that funky cross member that the 84-86s had that could interfere w/ tire clearance? Or was that the year they changed that? 88 and up is cool IIRC. Also my 86 did run the hills in the Poconos fine on 31s w/ a properly tuned motor. Good wires, quality plugs, a good air filter (stock or CAI), should be good to help you turn those meats.

Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.