Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot of the posts on this subject but want to ask first hand.
I've got a 1991 Trooper and I'd like to go to 33" TSL Trxxus MT but have been seeing alot of posts that I need the lift. I thought about doing the 3" lift but I have never been a fan of lifts. I just sold my 85 GMC 3/4 ton to my son and I ran 35" BFG on it with a little fender trimming and they never rub. Can I get away with some creative body work but tasteful
or should I stick to 31" instead.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

My 89 RSTrooper 33x10.50-15 BFG MTs on 15x8 wheels, just shackles and T-bar crank. For about 1.5" lift, no rubbing at all. Many have fitted 33x12.50-15s with no to minor rubbing. With 15x10 rims they are gonna rub up front. Suspension lifts make no difference in rubbing, at full compression tires will still rub. Unless you lower the bumpstops or trim away metal like you suggested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a couple of other vehicles where I fit 33 or 35 inchers on by doing some creative cutting. One was my older GMC which now my son's he now runs 35 Swampers the other was a Toyota FJ40 I had years ago and
she had 33's. we don't do much extreme rock crawling mostly logging roads and skidder trails in Maine and NH. I really like how your Trooper looks with the 33's. I was planning on getting rid of the plastic ends on the bumpers anyways, what's a little more sheetmetal cutting as well.
Did you get a full 1.5" lift in the rear from 1.5" shackles or 3" shackles??
Also after you cranked up the Torsion bars how far was the alignment out?
Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Max,
I looked at all your pic's and noticed the windshield visor. Been looking for one. I did find one for a 88 BroncoII along with a custom made winch bumper. I might go measure both to see if I can get them to fit. If anything the visor might be a bit short but they are similar somewhat
in shape. The winch bumper I can modify. Any input?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Plastic ends on the bumpers aren't even close to the tires, I think the trucks look terrible without them.

Three inch longer shackles net 1.5" of lift. And evertime you change the suspension you should get it realigned. Dunno how far .... I just said realign it :).

My visor is a Lund www.lundinternational.com , it was on the truck when I bought it. I doubt I'd spend the money for it, kinda love / hate it. Tested for mpgs seemed to make no difference, even though my brain say it has to hurt mpgs. From the driver's seat it reminds me which Trooper I am driving :p .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are those the stock rims on the 31 inchers? What size are the 31's
31x10.5x15. Are those tires the Swamper Trxxus MT? I am thinking
of those as a choice but they only come in either 31 or 33 no 32inch
choice. But they look great on yours.
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any problems with rubbing? Most of our wheeling is logging road and skidder roads in Maine. Do you know what the size of the stock rims are as I can't find it anywhere. I like my stock rims but wasn't to sure if i could run them on a wider wheel such as 32x11.5x15. But if yours are 12.5 wide I guess it is good to go.
Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
i believe they are 7" If ya have a close look the tires have a side lug that sticks out at least an inch to an inch and a half.They did rub a little on the frame when i went lock to lock on the steering but i put in a quarter inch spacer and now nothing at all.

here is another angle

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good to know I think I am going with 32x11.5x15 in either the
BFG MT or Dunlop MT. I can't get the Swamper Trxxus MT in that size only 31x10.5x15 or 33x12.5x15 which will probably rub. I do have a set of spoked rims that are 15x8 off a 1/2 ton early chevy and I can use those on the 33's but it might be a bit to much for the stocker.
Thanks for the Info!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any pictures with the new tires on yet. I was looking at the Swamper
Radial SSR and I can get them in the sizes I want as well. I really don't like lifts, been there done that, but I am not afraid to do a little trimming.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Stock steel wheels are 15X6. Its probably better not to put a 12.5" tire on a 6" wide rim. I would go up to 15X7, or even better, a 15X8. With a 33x12.50 you will have rubbing with no lift, and no cutting.
-J :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.