Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was piddling around after shooting this afternoon and snapped a couple of pics of the 31x10.50x15 beside my current 33x12.50x15's. (Mind you, my 33's have 10k mi. on them, so they are closer to 32's by now :roll: )
I dont think there is really that much practical difference between 31's and 33's.
I know, I know. 1" is a mile when climbing over rocks. I dont rock climb in my Troop. :lol:
The mere thought of going DOWN to 31's would have sounded like blasphemy to me a couple of years ago.
Now days, all my Troop does is go to work and back, campng, hauling my stuff to shooting clubs, hauling LOTS of firewood, and the occasional trail ride. I now avoid mud like it's the black plague! :p
OH! by the way, my Trooper is now my new company truck! As in, I got the OK and a fuel card from the busness owner and now the company pays for all my gas! :headbang:
I am warming up to the idea of running 32x11.50 AT's quite a bit since I have made a FINAL choice to go back to snowflake rims (thanks lowzone!) and I am going to be UNflipping the ball joints, removing the rear coil spring spacers, and turning the tortion bars back down ASAP. My bad left leg is making getting in/out of the tall Trooper a bit of a chore.
Also have in the last few weeks started getting a great desire to get at least SOME increase in MPG's. So stayling with alloys, and runing a shorter skinnyer lighter all terrain tire, plus shortening the overall height of the Trooper should help the mpg's by at least 1/2 mpg or better. (I think :scratch: )

Anywoo, if you care, comparison pics:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Why not lower it down and still rock the 33s? 33s look so good especially in a 12.5

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Coyote.....that's been my point all along as well.

I once ran 33's on my rodeo, however, when parked next to rodeo's with 32's....never looked much different, not enough to justify the cost of running the bigger tires.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
COYOTE102076 said:
I dont think there is really that much practical difference between 31's and 33's.
About 6.5%, actually. :)

Personally, compared to the stock 29.5" tires a 2nd gen comes with, I wouldn't go above 32" with stock gearing, for the same reasons you mention.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigSwede said:
.............. I wouldn't go above 32" with stock gearing, for the same reasons you mention.
I was thinking all allong that the turbo would more than compensate for the gearing difference. On road that is.
However I keep having one setback after another and my turbo kit is now on the backburner. Again. AGAIN! ONE DAY I WILL get the turbo done. Just not this spring like I had wanted so badly to do.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Of course, the bigger the tire, the lower the engine rpm...turbos like rpm to get spooled up.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:lol: You got it jwood! :lol:
All joking aside, the turbocharger I own is a nearly new used AirResearch .63 AR turbo off of a Gleaner F3 combine. That engine was a 233 c.i. 4 cyl diesel, and by 2200 rpm it is puting out 6psi of boost. convenently, at 58 mph, my troop is running 2200 rpm! :lol:
When I went to Jerry's and picked up the used motor, I was obliged to get to see his supercharger setup on one of his 2 NICE Trooper's. We talked for a while about my turbo idea. If you dont trust me, trust JLEMOND, it WILL work! :twisted:

·
Registered
229 Posts

This is what my Amigo looks like with 33x12.50R15 Factory suspension no lift. (Came factory with 31's)

Still drive her to this day without ANY rub or problems. (Removed the plastic covers from the fender wells and cut the tabs in front of the tires and removed them gaudy looking rubber side bumps on the front bumper) Just basic cut and trim.

The rear I cut for the sheer fact that there was just so much rust, it wasn't worth the money in bondo and body work, so I just cut it all off.

But yeah, your troop should do JUST FINE without that lift and still run the 33's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts