Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo.. I found some guy wanting to trade his 3000gt for an SUV. I've always wanted one of cars... Before I jump into this, does anyone know anything about these cars I should know about?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Always loved those. Even the regular V6 was a fun car to drive. I thought they were one of the best looking cars on the road at the time.

Joe

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Nathan08T said:
Soo.. I found some guy wanting to trade his 3000gt for an SUV. I've always wanted one of cars... Before I jump into this, does anyone know anything about these cars I should know about?
First question is what year is it? The next one is If the motor is stock or if it's had any kind of work done to it. If you don't know what you're doing there's alot of stuff to screw up.. If someone was mean to it and didn't do oil changes the bottom end is likely going to suffer, but if they kept up on oil changes, etc.. like most mitsubishi engines, she'll run for a very long time.

Few things:
- Valve stem seals will start leaking around 150k or so.. will cause a puff of smoke when pulling away from idle.
- Almost all of them had issues with the synchros on the shifter.. but many have had good luck with the right trans oil and just learning how to shift it properly.
- Depending what year (likely all of them) you'll get some HLA ticking on the top end.. usually from gummed up or collapsed HLA, but you can replace those with the newer style like my 99 Montero or the newer 3.5l engines have and it'll be good.

All in all, they are a great car and continue to be with the right maintenance. I know someone with a couple of them and would help build them, fix them, and drive them.. very very fun and they are fast considering how heavy they are. I would arguably say his drove better in snow with snow tires on the front than my Montero did with all season tires on it in 4wd!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
^ More specificly, in the 3000GT world those HLA's are known as "3rd Gen" lifters. They have a MUCH larger oil passage than the previous models.

I would comment more, but I never did like the FWD models all that much. If I ever bought another 3000GT it would be a VR-4, just like my last one. The only thing I do know is, besides the trans issues that Ruination listed above, they also had some slight issues with the brakes. Just like the Diamante, the non turbo brakes were just not really ideal for stopping a heavier car and were prone to warping. The reason being that the Non turbo 3000GT shares a lot of the same chassis as the Diamante, including the rear subframe.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input..

I'm going to look at it tonight and see what I think. The Rodeo was my first car.. I'm a little reluctant to let her go (if I do this) but if it seems like a good deal.. Then I'll do it. I'm kinda skeptical since mine KBBs at 2.3K while hers is a little over 4K but she said they need an SUV for their 3 kids. So it would make sense..

Also, what should I check? Obviously the oil, shifting, fluids, leaks, CEL, etc.. Anything else I should look for, any specifics?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts