Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here heard of putting a 3.8L series 2 GM engine in a Trooper or Rodeo? :?:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i have. :wink:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You could but only do it if you use the 3800 supercharged motor. The N/A motor is a waste of time because the 3.4L makes the same power and is much easier, lighter and a more compact motor. The bell housing is the same which is a big help and if memory serves me right the starter is on the correct side. Mounts, exhaust, wiring, cooling and accessories are all up to you. There will be some issues with making the front drive motor work in a rear wheel drive application.

If you were thinking about the original Buick 3.8L that was used in old G bodies and stuff then don't even bother it is a waste of time and wont bolt up to your transmission and would just make the swap very complex and expensive and the 3.4L will make more power.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The 3.4 only makes 150hp with Iron heads and throttle body fuel injection. It was the 95 camero "S" engine with mpfi and different heads that made 170 hps. The 3800 makes 200hp has roller rockers, and a better fuel injection system. The 3800 supercharged made 240hp. I would love to see motor in a trooper. I had a 2001 pontiac grand prix gtp. even though it made only 240hp stock, it was a blast to drive and it got 27mpg on the open road.(about 12mpg at full boost) It wouldn't be the same without the pontiacs fwd tranny though. that trans did a great job of getting the power to the ground.

Sorry to start crap but that was one of my favorite cars I've owned over the years. The 3.4 engine doesn't even hold a candle to the series II 3800 engine. supercharged or not. It just doesn't

·
Registered
523 Posts
caveman said:
The 3.4 only makes 150hp with Iron heads and throttle body fuel injection. It was the 95 camero "S" engine with mpfi and different heads that made 170 hps. The 3800 makes 200hp has roller rockers, and a better fuel injection system. The 3800 supercharged made 240hp. I would love to see motor in a trooper. I had a 2001 pontiac grand prix gtp. even though it made only 240hp stock, it was a blast to drive and it got 27mpg on the open road.(about 12mpg at full boost) It wouldn't be the same without the pontiacs fwd tranny though. that trans did a great job of getting the power to the ground.

Sorry to start crap but that was one of my favorite cars I've owned over the years. The 3.4 engine doesn't even hold a candle to the series II 3800 engine. supercharged or not. It just doesn't
I agree, the 3.8 SC is a beast! I believe my Park Avenue Ultra had 240 hp and 300 pounds of torque. It was a blast for a big azz heavy car!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The critics raved about that motor! 18 in the city and 27mpg on the highway is no easy number to get with heavy car and high hps.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
caveman said:

Sorry but the 3.4L numbers are wrong. Moneyclip on S-Series.org dynoed his 3.4L with a Holley TBI (same as a 4.3L TBI) stock valvetrain and shorty headers at 187 rear wheel horsepower. That translates to more than 200 at the crank. Like I said it makes the same power. Overall the 3.4L is smaller, lighter and more efficient. It has a better oiling system and stronger crankshaft. The only advantage the 3800 has over the 3.4L is the roller cam.

However the supercharged 3800 really ups the ante and would be the only real reason to make a switch that would complicate the swap. 300 Horsepower on the supercharged motor is not a problem at all and would really make an Isuzu move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts