Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

I found this while looking through edmund.com forum for the 99 Trooper.
"Known problems in this car are oil consumption if PCV and EGR valve are not kept clean every 30K miles, also running synthetic oil seems to prevent this. " Have anyone try putting in synthetic oil? and cleaning the PCV and EGR valve to deal with the oil burning problem? I'm a newbie here just got my 99 Trooper yesterday! :D I donno if it burn oil or not :? i hope it doesnt lol

Eric

·
Registered
894 Posts
This is a very well covered topic on any Isuzu board and almost all of them have a "search" feature.

Be sure to frequently check your oil level as other than the dipstick you will not get any warning before losing an engine due to loss of oil.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yes, I run full syn inthe new motor..yes, I keep the PCV adn EGR clean, and yes it still burns oil....
though no wher near whatt hte old one burned.....

I ahve just gotten into the habit of checking the oil at every fill up, adn or every week....

Chase

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never seemed to see that connection, but I did recently change to Wal-Mart's brand of full-synthetic oil and after the first change, the oil level still went down as usual (maybe that's why I didn't see the connection between syn oil and not losing oil) but now, after the 2nd oil change, the level has only dropped from the full line on the dipstick to halfway between full and low and has stayed there for the last couple thousand miles (now its time for a change again). Maybe synthetic is the way to go then ($2.95/qt at Wal-Mart).

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
im running regular Dino-oil 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. I rarely drive my Rodeo in the summer. I have a 92 Pup for that. Anyway, when i run 5w30 i burn more oil then when i run the 10w30, obviously its passing by the rings abit, but the difference is about 1.5qts of 5w30 every 3k and 1qt of 10w30 every 3k. I have heard horror stories of people with NEW Rodeos/Troopers (when they were sold that is) that use 1 qt every 1k and Isuzu says thats within specs. My 93 GMC Sonoma had the same allowances as far as oil consumption. Funny, my wifes 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ, i run full synthetic in that and that car doesnt burn a drop of oil. I guess it really depends on how tight the tolerances are on the rings and how well the motor is engineered. I love my Isuzus, so they burn alittle oil, eh. Look at it this way, if you burn a qt of oil every 2k miles on average, thats only 50 qts of oil in 100k, and thats if it burned oil from day one. If you figure that ONE drop of oil was used in every stroke of your motor, you would be out of oil within minutes. Scary to think that your motor spins 50 times a second at 3000 rpms (50x60sec=3000), which breaks down to 8.3333 per cylinder per second. :shock: so the oil consumption problem is really minor, considering that you drive for 50 hours (60 mph/3000 mile oil changes=50 hours run time) or so and only use a quart or two of oil, seems minor compaired to the one drop per stroke theory. Makes you think, dont [email protected]?!?!?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.