Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard various stories that the 3.5L V6 in the 98-02 Trooper is a Honda/Acura engine because of the SLX(Acura)/Trooper(Isuzu) relationship. I also heard various stories that it is a GM from the GM/Isuzu relationship.

Looking at the engine, some parts of it look Japanese and some parts of it look GM. Does anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
It's an Isuzu. There are Isuzus with non-isuzu engines, and the list doesn't include 2nd gen Troopers.

89-91 Troopers with the V6 had a 2.8l GM 60 degree V6.
91-92(approx) Rodeos with the V6 had a 3.1l GM 60 degree V6.
98+ Amigos and Rodeos with the 4cyl engine had a GM 2.2l engine.

There was also some oddball 1.8l non-Isuzu engine used in Troopers before 1985.

The 3.5 is 100% Isuzu. It is essentially a re-designed 3.2l engine, which Isuzu started using in SUVs in 1992.

-Tad

·
Registered
31 Posts
what are the torque numbers for the 3.5? Ive got a 98 trooper with it, and i was just curious if anyone knew. Im new, by the way, so hi. THis sites great! :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tad said:
There was also some oddball 1.8l non-Isuzu engine used in Troopers before 1985.

-Tad
I used to have a Luv with the 1.8L motor in it, and it was all Isuzu. Other makers used the motor (Opel), but it was Isuzu. As a matter of fact, if you look at the 2.6 that's sitting in my current truck, it just looks like a big old replica.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.