Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a translation from Isuzu language to the plain American English commonly spoken language.

Today I got this notice in my email:

http://www.olegmoskalenko.com/axiom/isu ... recall.jpg

Can anybody explain it for me ? My main questions are:

1) What is "I/M testing" and how it is different from the "emission testing" ?
2) I live in California. Isuzu knows that I live in California. My mail address is in California. Why Isuzu cannot tell me explicitly - do I need to take the vehicle to the service, or not ?
3) I live in California. Do I need "I/M testing" ?
4) I live in California. Isuzu knows that I live in California. Why Isuzu is not using the technical auto terminology understandable by Californians and accepted in California ?
5) My vehicle passed the "emission testing". Does it mean it will pass the "I/M testing" ?
6) If there is a defect in the vehicle, why they cannot just fix the defect ? In 10 years I'll have a problem with the "I/M testing" (I'll move to another state, or my state laws will change, or I'll have another malfunctioning sensor) and then who will fix the vehicle ? Isuzu will be long gone from the US, I suppose.

If the only way to fix the defect is to re-program the ECU, then I suppose that this is a very difficult burden to carry with the vehicle, if they are not going to re-program it now, while they are still in the States.

Please do not send me to Google - I already made that exercise and there is no related information in Google. There is even no list of states requiring the mysterious "I/M testing".

I am very disappointed by Isuzu.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Sounds to me that if the vehicle will not pass emissions, Isuzu will recalibrate your ECU at no cost to you.

It's up to you but I'd say if you passed, leave well enough alone. Recalibration of ECU sounds bad to me. Another option would be to get a secondary ECU for them to calibrate and you keep the one you have.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
The letter is referring to the Evaporative Fuel system Readiness Monitor which apparently never sets Ready on 2004 Axiom's for reasons not explained. In some states that do OBDII emission testing, the vehicle will not pass the inspection unless ALL Readiness Monitors are set Ready. The EPA allows ONE monitor not Ready on 2001 and newer vehicles. It is therefore possible for a vehicle in some states to fail OBDII emissions testing with Check Engine Lamp (CEL) Off because the necessary Readiness Monitors are not set Ready. If you are failing an OBDII emission test because of this Isuzu will reprogram the ECU to fix the problem. Readiness Monitors prevent people from clearing a DTC to turn Off the CEL and then presenting the vehicle for OBDII emission testing.

These Readiness Monitors are used on 1996 and newer Isuzu models.

Misfire Monitor
Fuel System Monitor
Continuous Component Monitor
O2 Sensor Monitor
Catalytic Converter Monitor
EGR Monitor
Evap Monitor

Not used in Isuzu
O2 Sensor Heater Monitor
AC Leak Detect Monitor
Heated Catalyst Monitor
Secondary Air Monitor

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll check whether the monitor is really "not ready".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts