Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Trooper 3.5L
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 99 Trooper with the 3.5L 6EV1 engine. Mine only has 98k miles, but it has the Isuzu oil burning malady. I know that the only guaranteed fix is to tear down the engine a drill more oil drain back holes in the pistons. I am not ready to do that yet, not with <100k miles.

I've only owned it for a few weeks. The previous owner had the oil changed right before I purchased it, using Valvoline 10w30 high mileage oil, and I've driven it about 1k miles. Sometimes it will go 2 or 3 days without using a drop. Then all of a sudden it will burn 1.5 qts in 20 miles. Very strange. I try to check it every day.

So after reading many many threads on here, and other places, I've decided to try the BG engine purge, oil change using Rotella 5w40, and the BG detergent additive. I debated between using the BG flush and Seafoam engine flush. Based on what I read, I decided to go with BG kit. I purchased a kit on ebay the had one 11 oz bottle of the EPR engine purge/flush, and one 11 oz bottle of the MOA detergent additive. It cost about $35 and had free shipping.

Today I did the purge and oil change. First, I poured the bottle of EPR into the crankcase and let the engine idle for about 30 mins (ambient temp was about 82F today). Then I drained the oil and changed the oil filter. I refilled the crankcase with Rotella 5w40 diesel motor oil, installed a new K&N oil filter, and added the MOA additive.

I will update this thread every couple of days and let everyone know if there is any noticable change in oil usage from my new-to-me but already beloved Trooper.

·
Registered
640 Posts
So I have a 99 Trooper with the 3.5L 6EV1 engine. Mine only has 98k miles, but it has the Isuzu oil burning malady. I know that the only guaranteed fix is to tear down the engine a drill more oil drain back holes in the pistons. I am not ready to do that yet, not with <100k miles.

I've only owned it for a few weeks. The previous owner had the oil changed right before I purchased it, using Valvoline 10w30 high mileage oil, and I've driven it about 1k miles. Sometimes it will go 2 or 3 days without using a drop. Then all of a sudden it will burn 1.5 qts in 20 miles. Very strange. I try to check it every day.

So after reading many many threads on here, and other places, I've decided to try the BG engine purge, oil change using Rotella 5w40, and the BG detergent additive. I debated between using the BG flush and Seafoam engine flush. Based on what I read, I decided to go with BG kit. I purchased a kit on ebay the had one 11 oz bottle of the EPR engine purge/flush, and one 11 oz bottle of the MOA detergent additive. It cost about $35 and had free shipping.

Today I did the purge and oil change. First, I poured the bottle of EPR into the crankcase and let the engine idle for about 30 mins (ambient temp was about 82F today). Then I drained the oil and changed the oil filter. I refilled the crankcase with Rotella 5w40 diesel motor oil, installed a new K&N oil filter, and added the MOA additive.

I will update this thread every couple of days and let everyone know if there is any noticable change in oil usage from my new-to-me but already beloved Trooper.
I'm interested to hear how it goes!

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
You can also dump some Gumout Regane carbon-cleaning additive in the fuel tank. Cheep at Wal-Mart.

Regane has higher levels of the carbon-cleaning compound PEA, which is the cleaning agent in Chevron Techroline.

They sell a "high miles" version of Regane which has a top-end lubricant. Can't hurt!

BTW you might change the PCV valve. An intermittently-sticking PCV valve might suck up a lot of oil, then not. Cheap to replace at any rate.

Good luck with your Carbon-Cleaning Quest.............ed

p.s. if nothing you try works, pick up a can of Mercury Power Tune, pull the spark plugs, and spray about 2/3 can in all (6) cylinders (after you've warmed the engine up to full operating temp).

Leave it sit overnight, start it up the next day. Be sure it's outside or have the garage door open, it'll smoke like mad. That's how you know it's working!! Once running, spray the rest of the can into the intake via a hose, access port, etc. Then take it out for a hard run and see if that helps.

2-stroke outboards can have plenty of carbon deposits on the piston rings, and cleaners made for that purpose are very effective.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Do you put the plugs right back in before you let it sit over night?
I would leave them out. Then the next day, "bump" the engine over, just a tap, which will expel any excess fluid out of the cylinder. That way there'd be no risk of a hydraulic lock. After that reinstall the plugs & coil packs and fire up the Smoke Machine!

·
Registered
'99 Trooper 3.5L
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update #4

It's been a week ~245 miles driven. The oil was down about another 1/4 qt today (I did not add any oil 2 days ago). I filled it back to the full mark today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts