Isuzu SUV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1990 trooper 2, 76 Datsun 620
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
So I'm assuming the 3500 lower plenum bolts to the heads, makes a 90-deg upturn and the upper plenum just bolts right down to it?

Are the Equinox 3400 upper's ports and the 3500 upper's ports the same size? Hard to tell in the pic. Some of them on the same intake almost look smaller than others, but maybe that's just a perspective.

I wonder why they used smaller ports/throttle body on the 3500 upper, maybe for better torque?

The 3400 intake neck where the throttle body bolts on is quite a bit shorter, too, that should help with under-hood fitment. Long as the greater height doesn't impact. Lessee, I was just watching Engine Masters, when you increase the length of the intake runner (or similarly, the neck), what do you get?? Supposedly more torque down low, as a general rule.

So maybe the shorter runner on the Equinox manifold gives you more top end? I suppose the way to see that is to dig up the hp/torque curves for these engines, that should tell ya something.

At any rate, you should have a pretty decent runner with all the airflow improvements from the mix-n-match. If only you had some rocker arms!!! o_O:cool:
Yes those ports on the under side of the manifold are the same size.
I do hope that 3400 manifold fits under the hood as well!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
This paint really shines more than just in a picture, but a funny thing about these 3 dash marks on the oil pan that look like the predators laser targeting system is that this is how the pickup tube is set!? My oil pump and screen are still intact and according to a straight edge and some measurements the screen almost bottoms out on these indentations.
Anyway, this is all vht engine enamel primer then paint, then clear coat. It’s a beautiful paint job.
I was looking at my Datsun trucks exhaust manifold that I used the flame proof header primer, well the exposed parts that didn’t get covered with header wrap are still looking very nice. There’s a small amount of rust coming through, but I admit I didn’t get all the rust out. It’s like 46 years old though! So vht flame proof paint will be just right on a smoker or grill type application. Just clean it really well.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Pretty sure those indents are there so the pickup screen can't bottom-out on the pan.

Nice gold color. It almost looks the shade of early Mustang air cleaner paint!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Pretty sure those indents are there so the pickup screen can't bottom-out on the pan.

Nice gold color. It almost looks the shade of early Mustang air cleaner paint!
Yea that makes sense, that’s about where the screen was set.
I think that paint is supposed to be that Ford gold, or some say it’s close to an olds gold. I read somewhere you picked up a mustang some time ago??

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Yea that makes sense, that’s about where the screen was set.
I think that paint is supposed to be that Ford gold, or some say it’s close to an olds gold. I read somewhere you picked up a mustang some time ago??
Yup, picked up a '67 Coupe with 5.0 EFI swap about 4 years ago, and last summer scored on a 1-owner, lo-miles, all-original 2004 Mach 1. What a nice car to drive and I got over 25mpg on a recent trip. Fun!

Reactions: 90supertroop

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I’m having to build a motor mount for the driver side, it will be solid of course, I don’t have a way to attach rubber like the factory ones. I bought the anchor brand to replace the broken passenger side, this is what JLemond suggests is a decent replacement option. Is it too much to just do both sides a solid mount? What are the opinions on that??

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
I’m having to build a motor mount for the driver side, it will be solid of course, I don’t have a way to attach rubber like the factory ones. I bought the anchor brand to replace the broken passenger side, this is what JLemond suggests is a decent replacement option. Is it too much to just do both sides a solid mount? What are the opinions on that??
A solid mount is going to crack, and is also going to transmit a lot of vibrations from the engine to the rest of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
A piece of tube steel welded to plate then bolted to the frame and block would crack?
I would think it would sooner or later. Before that I’d use the bushing in a tube style that some people use when doing engine swaps.

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
Original is hard to get, everything else is maid in Thailand. How long is that going to last, besides I can’t get the drivers side mount until December 30th.
I’ve used the generic mounts. It’s all that’s available here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Without the rubber to dampen vibrations, those constant vibrations will crack the mount, AND you'll feel every vibration until it does break.

Couldn't you build a mount like you describe with a bushing like a suspension mount or something?
I’m sure I could use some poly pads in between the frame and mount, and sort of sandwich the solid mount with isolating pads.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
161 - 180 of 210 Posts