Isuzu SUV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1990 trooper 2, 76 Datsun 620
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I put an add out in the classifieds, WTB your starter jig and/or a pickup tube install tool. If anyone has one of these that would sell or loan I’ll purchase or rent. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Seems a wee bit tight! Is that a big groove I see on the bearing shell in the 1st pic? Doesn't look so good, either.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Man, that is just Not. Good. As I posted before, I'd be taking that "new" crank kit back to the machine shop and telling them to fix their "F"-Up!

It might do you well to Plastigauge every rod & bearing journal, document the readings and also take pics of every one. Talk about a HUGE Foulup!

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
Exactly..... why why why? It’s marked as 3.1 so maybe it is new, or could it be the 3.4’s that they said was too far out of spec??
Regardless a new crank should be STD.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
I’m currently in the middle of tacking a bolt onto the broken bolt inside the crankshaft. It’s kind of hard to see in there.

Had to take a break for dinner and watch some ufc, to be continued

It didn’t work out for me. I can’t get in deep enough to fuse the broken bolt with the bolt I’m using to pull it out with. Building it up with filler rod doesn’t seem to work, it just snaps when I start to twist.
Oh well.

Another attempt, I drilled into the bolt a little so the other bolt could fit inside and I could add filler rod around the bolt. Tacking it in place was easy but it get tight when I try to add filler metal. The bolt just twists right out like I’m not getting good penetration.
I’ll move to the extractor bit trials.......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
The good news is, I removed all the pistons and rods, the crank came out easily. I will be taking this mess to that shop and demand some satisfaction.
For the lifters I was charged for and didn’t receive, the flywheel resurface charge when I didn’t bring in a flywheel, the cam bearings they ruined and couldn’t figure out how to install( the sbc), the cam bearings they installed and gouged up, and ordering me the wrong head gaskets that are non-returnable, I think I deserve some a fix on their dime.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Well the dang extractor bit broke off inside the nose of the crankshaft. I guess we’re done here. I guess the shop can look at there f’up and tell me how they sized it for bearings and I’ll use it as a core somewhere.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Here's an Enginetech remanufactured crankshaft complete with bearings for around $245 plus tax shipped on eBay:

If you don't get any satisfaction from your shop.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
BTW I checked around and Carid has it for around $210 but IDK what shipping charge would be.

Autozone also carries the Enginetech kit and their price was $227.99

Also, I had looked at Rockauto but in the wrong place. They do have 1 kit left at $196.79 plus shipping:

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Man, they really rolled you over! Sorry you've had such a lousy experience. I've had issues over the years with machine shops but never anything as bad as what you're going thru!!

101 - 120 of 210 Posts