Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a timing belt but it's lacking alignment marks. I found a few posts here that tell how many teeth are between the alignment marks on the belt for the DOHC engine but none for the SOHC version. Anyone know? The belt has 203 teeth total.

· Super Moderator
98 Rodeo, 4JB1-TC
3,120 Posts
The marks on the belt are not important. What matters is the marks on the engine and pulleys.

· Registered
1,365 Posts
Some timing belts come with white timing marks on the belt. I have no idea why some manufactures do this as it is irrelevant to timing the engine. All you need to worry about is that the timing marks on the engine are aligned. That's what is important and nothing else matters,

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright good deal. To confirm: I can just make sure there's no slack between the camshaft pulleys or between the left bank camshaft pulley and the crankshaft pulley. Then release the tensioner and all should work out fine - so long as the camshafts and the crankshaft are aligned properly first.

· Registered
133 Posts
Yes. Make sure you are aligning the slot on the front of the cam gear to the dimple on the back of the cam cover (black metal piece). The woodruff key on the crank pulley should be at 3 o'clock . The passenger cam mark is at roughly 9:30 and the driver is at about 2:30. I hope this makes sense. Once you think you have it all done, hand crank the crank pulley as if you are tightening the pulley bolt (24mm socket). I usually crank it 2 full rotations which is 4 rotations of the crank and then check to be sure everything is still aligned. If so, you are done. If not, rinse and repeat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.