Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 95 rodeo 3.2 sohc 4x4 auto. I've been working on it for over a week now. it all started when coming home from work it started boggin out while driving. i parked it for the night and fired it up the next day, ran good and took off. started sputtering again, i turned around to head home and it died, its been dead sense and heres what i found wrong that i have fixed.

cranked crank sensor
ignition module
coil pack
all new plugs

the truck has really good spark now, it was very weak before

fuel pump primes and works. fuel pressure holds steady at 42psi after it primes.

normal starting does nothing cranks and cranks and cranks., at WOT it will sputter and sputter and then starts to rev a little and dies, wether i keep and cranking at WOT or not. always revs a little and dies. it might even catch on its own for a few seconds but always without fail revs up a little then immediately dies. i've been searching and bangin my head on this thing for days and im out of ideas. any help please..... oh and no check engine light

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hook a digital volt meter to the TPS "Throttle Position Sensor" and see if its at .50 with the key on. If it wasnt raining I would tell you what wire to hook to.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has a map. It has 5 volts going to it but I don't have a vac pump to test if it works. The line under is in good shape

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm going to do the dreaded compression test. What's this thing supposed to have 180ish psi?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The motor seem all okay why'll your trying to start it? I just played with a honda accord seemed like it was trying to start, but just would. check spark kind of weak did cap, rotor, and coil. Still a no go and the engine still sounded damn pretty....tore through security devices all the electronix....ignition switch was the problem....So if seems like it might be running till you the point you let back off the key maybe thats the problem. IDK how reliable our switches are or arn't tho....turns out the hondas are terrible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont know, when it cranks it struggles to start and when it does it sputters and slowly starts to rev back up and then dies, doesnt matter if i keep cranking it or not it dies. it seems like somthing is telling it to shut off, but i can figure it out

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Doesn't sound like the ignition switch then...and with it being a rough cut off like that I doubt it's a signal shutting it down...I would expect a more crisp kill. So I lean with Kable on a timing issue...a bad sensor would usually give you an engine light which you don't have happening. So maybe jumped a tooth or two. Or and not to be condescending or anything...you get all the plug wires back right when you swapped?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts