Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I share my findings with everyone.

It seems from my research, that there is a little confusion regarding our beloved Isuzus and the noises they make. I've already experienced the two most common in just 4 months. Once you've heard them both, you'll NEVER confuse them again!

1. THE LIFTER TICK
The lifter tick is caused by wear or dirty lifter oiling passages that have gummed up said lifter until it sticks. This causes an audible ticking sound that is generally annoying, but in my opinion, livable. It MAY be quieted or eliminated by switching oils and filters and it seems everyOne has had different kinds of luck with different brands of oil/filters/additives. The problem may even seem to come and go depending on engine temp or rpm. It can be a nuisance, but it's no big deal once you've dealt with.........

2. THE TIMING BELT TENSIONER ADJUSTER TAP/KNOCK/SLAM/SLAP (3.2 V6)
As the lifter tick may be quieted by closing your hood, THIS sound can be heard up to 2-3 BLOCKS away!! I know this for a FACT!! I had my Rodeo parked next to my 18 wheeler, which was RUNNING, and the TENSIONER TAP was LOUDER than my 12 liter 500HP TURBO DIESEL in my Volvo 670!!
THIS sound will get you very dirty looks in a fast food drive thru because the person in front of you can't even give their order! The sound is caused by the timing belt violently slapping the side of the timing cover. The culprit is the small cylinder known as the timing belt tensioner adjuster. It's a small hydraulic cylinder about 4 inches long which requires about 200 lbs of pressure to compress. This cylinder keeps tension on the belt. Once it goes bad, it can be compressed with two fingers.

Now, if your still unsure about which noise You are experiencing, take these symptoms into consideration:

1. If your timing belt tensioner adjuster Is bad, it will ALWAYS tap VERY loudly from idle to 2400-2800 and STOPS from 2400-2800 to REDLINE.
2. NO AMOUNT of oil/filter/additive experimentation will EVER make it stop!!
3. Engine temp has NO effect on the tapping.
4. The first time you hear a 3.2 make this sound, you'll think it has a broken rod.
5. Your neighbors won't like you very much if you crank it at 3am.

The adjuster and belt cost me $127. It's definitely worth it. Now that mines fixed, I sometimes wonder if my engine is even running!

Hope this helps clarify things! Experts, feel free to add anything I left out!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
When my tb tensioner went out...you're right...it was VERY obvious.

Sounded like the engine was going to implode at any time.....difference was, I couldn't drive mine, everything went into gear and all, but after that sound started, I couldn't fathom driving it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
CREEPER said:
Just thought I share my findings with everyone.

It seems from my research, that there is a little confusion regarding our beloved Isuzus and the noises they make. I've already experienced the two most common in just 4 months. Once you've heard them both, you'll NEVER confuse them again!

1. THE LIFTER TICK
The lifter tick is caused by wear or dirty lifter oiling passages that have gummed up said lifter until it sticks. This causes an audible ticking sound that is generally annoying, but in my opinion, livable. It MAY be quieted or eliminated by switching oils and filters and it seems everyOne has had different kinds of luck with different brands of oil/filters/additives. The problem may even seem to come and go depending on engine temp or rpm. It can be a nuisance, but it's no big deal once you've dealt with.........

2. THE TIMING BELT TENSIONER ADJUSTER TAP/KNOCK/SLAM/SLAP (3.2 V6)
As the lifter tick may be quieted by closing your hood, THIS sound can be heard up to 2-3 BLOCKS away!! I know this for a FACT!! I had my Rodeo parked next to my 18 wheeler, which was RUNNING, and the TENSIONER TAP was LOUDER than my 12 liter 500HP TURBO DIESEL in my Volvo 670!!
THIS sound will get you very dirty looks in a fast food drive thru because the person in front of you can't even give their order! The sound is caused by the timing belt violently slapping the side of the timing cover. The culprit is the small cylinder known as the timing belt tensioner adjuster. It's a small hydraulic cylinder about 4 inches long which requires about 200 lbs of pressure to compress. This cylinder keeps tension on the belt. Once it goes bad, it can be compressed with two fingers.

Now, if your still unsure about which noise You are experiencing, take these symptoms into consideration:

1. If your timing belt tensioner adjuster Is bad, it will ALWAYS tap VERY loudly from idle to 2400-2800 and STOPS from 2400-2800 to REDLINE.
2. NO AMOUNT of oil/filter/additive experimentation will EVER make it stop!!
3. Engine temp has NO effect on the tapping.
4. The first time you hear a 3.2 make this sound, you'll think it has a broken rod.
5. Your neighbors won't like you very much if you crank it at 3am.

The adjuster and belt cost me $127. It's definitely worth it. Now that mines fixed, I sometimes wonder if my engine is even running!

Hope this helps clarify things! Experts, feel free to add anything I left out!
My local honda dealer price matched the price I found at a Acura parts dealer on the internet and sold me the tensioner for 76 dollars.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ramblin Fever said:
When my tb tensioner went out...you're right...it was VERY obvious.

Sounded like the engine was going to implode at any time.....difference was, I couldn't drive mine, everything went into gear and all, but after that sound started, I couldn't fathom driving it.
That's right! The guy I bought mine from said he stopped driving it as soon as the tapping started. It was so loud that when he cranked it and opened the hood, I said "WHOA!!" and started backing away from the rodeo for fear of my life!! BUT....he quickly dripped his price from $1700 to $1000!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
man ya'll are lucky. my tensioner from autozone (might have been advance can't remember) was well over $100 by itself. and then $30 some for the timing belt on top of that.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The tensioner can tick "quietly" for quite a while before it gets loud...might not be noticeable if you have lifter tick too, but on my DOHC it ticked quietly for year or two before it got loud and sounded like a bad rod bearing.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigSwede said:
The tensioner can tick "quietly" for quite a while before it gets loud...might not be noticeable if you have lifter tick too, but on my DOHC it ticked quietly for year or two before it got loud and sounded like a bad rod bearing.
See? That's why I wanted more guys to chime in! Good info! When I bought mine it was already REALLY bad. Now I see where someone might confuse the two!

·
Registered
646 Posts
i read about the lifter taping and found a guy selling his (now mine passport hehe) he said he thinks it a rod knock because his mech told him it is, i said well i need the truck for parts so a 1500 dollar truck became 500 dollars and im a happy owner of a non ticking/ non tensioner rattling passport with 165000 miles on it all cost me 200 bucks for all parts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ghost said:
i read about the lifter taping and found a guy selling his (now mine passport hehe) he said he thinks it a rod knock because his mech told him it is, i said well i need the truck for parts so a 1500 dollar truck became 500 dollars and im a happy owner of a non ticking/ non tensioner rattling passport with 165000 miles on it all cost me 200 bucks for all parts
Wow!! You did WAY better than me!! Congrats

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anybody have a part number for the timing belt tensioner adjuster as described by Creeper? I went to O'reilys and they said they didn't have a listing for the part. Glad I found this thread because I thought my engine was gonna take a dump on me!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YJ-4BT said:
Does anybody have a part number for the timing belt tensioner adjuster as described by Creeper? I went to O'reilys and they said they didn't have a listing for the part. Glad I found this thread because I thought my engine was gonna take a dump on me!
I wish I still had the part number bro! But I just CALLED the partsbin.com, and they asked lots of questions that helped narrow down the choices. They were almost about the cheapest I'd found. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
555 Posts
CREEPER said:
BigSwede said:
See? That's why I wanted more guys to chime in! Good info! When I bought mine it was already REALLY bad. Now I see where someone might confuse the two!
Mine was fairly loud. I replaced it with a wrecking yard unit and it was better but still audible. I replaced it with a new one,and could then hear the the tick from the lifter sticking. My plan is to drive it a few oil changes and if it does not go away I might pull it apart and clean it out and unstick the lifter.

·
Registered
555 Posts
CREEPER said:
YJ-4BT said:
I wish I still had the part number bro! But I just CALLED the partsbin.com, and they asked lots of questions that helped narrow down the choices. They were almost about the cheapest I'd found. Let us know how it turns out!
For what year,there are a couple different ones.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mallen said:
CREEPER said:
YJ-4BT said:
mallen said:
CREEPER said:
YJ-4BT said:

Mine was a 95. They showed different parts for the same year, but I picked the one listed for my VIN number. I believe it was "X"....and then the customer service guy said I had picked the right one.

Mine was a 95. They showed different parts for the same year, but I picked the one listed for my VIN number. I believe it was "X"....and then the customer service guy said I had picked the right one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
CREEPER said:
YJ-4BT said:
Well...got it torn down and that is exactly the problem. Got parts on order and they should be in tomorrow. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's a link to the YouTube video of the noise my Isuzu Rodeo is making. It's actually been kept parked from fear of it being a spun bearing rod.

Oil level is fine. Changed regularly.

Does anyone one know what this could be? I've been told an internal engine noise, flex-plate issue or short block. Any help is appreciated. It happens at idle, neutral and while driving. The transmission shifts well, smooth ride. Noise is just loud and annoying. Just read this post and thought I'd get all of your opinions.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does it STOP making the noise from about 2500 rpm up? If so, it's most likely the tensioner adjuster. The guys who complain About an oil related issue always seem to say that "sometime it stops after it gets warm.". If it's the adjuster, it will ALWAYS knock, and knock LOUDLY up to around 2500 rpm and STOPS making the noise completely all the way up to redline!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got her together and the noise is GONE! Thanks guys! Did notice that my noise would cut out at 2000 and up. Aside from the noise being gone, It definitely seems to run/idle better. Glad she held together until I finished my cross Texas and back trek. :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.