Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, my neighbor, Drew's, Rodeo started leaking oil from it's oil cooler. I was already aware of a problem with oil cooler leaks on the 3.2 V-6s, so I offered to help. Because of the popularity of the leak problem, I thought an o-ring would be fairly easy to get. The o-ring, it's size, and it's part number seem to be as much a secret as where Jimmy Hoffa is. I cautioned that we wouldn't try anything until we actually had a replacement o-ring in hand. I considered ordering one from Jerry (user JLEMOND), but thinking it might be available at my local Isuzu dealer (or former dealer), I went there (they do Subarus too and I needed a Subaru part too). As it was, I had to order the part, so I advise anybody doing this to save yourself the grief and go straight to Jerry. It seems to be an OEM part only.
I decided to do a write up of the repair for anybody experiencing this similar problem.
First, get an oil pan and remove the oil filter. With the filter removed, you can see the special bolt that the filter screws onto and this same bolt secures the cooler. It is a 30MM hex bolt, and it was on there tight. With the bolt removed, I could easily pull the cooler down to remove the old o-ring using a small pick. There is no need to drain any coolant as the cooler is like a self contained "doughnut" with the coolant flowing through it. Once the o-ring was out, I cleaned the groove and the sealing surface on the adapter (still bolted to the engine block). I then placed a coat of grease in the o-ring groove to hold the o-ring in place. I then fitted the cooler back against the casting being sure the o-ring stayed in it's groove. There is an indexing tab and notch to properly position the cooler. I held it in place while I threaded the bolt in finger tight, then I tightened it with a ratchet. Don't overtighten, don't under tighten. Then we installed the filter, started it, checked for leaks, and added oil as necessary. Dennis
oil cooler repair 001.JPG

oil cooler repair 002.JPG

oil cooler repair 004.JPG

oil cooler repair 003.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You can buy the oil cooler o-ring from Auto Zone or Rock Auto. On Rock Auto it's under the main seals and is part of a front main seal kit. Just take that P/N to your favorite parts house and they can get it for you. Cost was less than $30 USD when I looked it up this past Saturday.

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All our Autozones offered was an oil cooler kit (@ around 40.00 and no cooler included). Didn't check Rockauto, but the OEM part at just under 10.00 is much better than 30.00. Again, if anybody has one of these engines and it is leaking here, I suggest contacting Jerry and getting the OEM O-ring. Dennis
P.S. we ended up putting 4 quarts of oil in it to bring it up to the full mark - scary! D.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotta admit, this post is fantastic. I am literally outside in the garage right now trying to get that same bolt off of my 95 Trooper. No amount of cursing and physical exertion is working on that thing. I think part of my problem is I'm using a 1 3/16 and probably not using enough cursing. Thanks for the pics as I was trying both left loosey and righty..uh...loosey. Appears to be lefty loosey per the second pic.

Regarding the actual o-ring, I ended up buying the same part number for a 96 Acura SLX from the same place I buy my wife's Acura TL parts from. Just throwing that out there as another alternative.

Thanks again for the write up and pics. Thinking I'll go pick up a 30mm socket...

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're welcome, that's why I posted it. I used a 1/2" breaker bar and it IS a "lefty loosey". Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
GREAT post and pics. THX. my 94 rodeo 3.2l had been leaking from this area for the past year, but I could ever actually see where it was coming from. . I try to keep the oil topped off and perform extra oil filter changes. Unfortunately, I fear the engine is suffering as I have acquired the dreaded knock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey I really enjoyed the info you gave. I'm having this problem happen right now. Recently ran sea foam through the engine and at of no where I'm
Getting a constant bit minor leak from the oil cooler. I'm pretty sure at the cooler. Because recently the oil pressure gauge stopped. So I'm guessing I might have dislodged some grim and clogged the oil cooler which lead to clogging and ruining my pressure sending unit as well as broke down what ever was keeping the cooler sealed. Anyways. I found the original Isuzu gasket on eBay the other night and when I woke up this morning to buy it. The sale had ended. I'm super disappointed I didn't act as soon as I saw it. I'm having no luck finding the o ring. I've even been asked why I would own an Isuzu in the first place. I love my rodeo and trooper. They are great trucks. If anyone can help me out finding this damn o ring it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I ordered a oil cooler o-ring /seal from my local Honda dealer, used the part # from a '96 acura slx (as mentioned above) and it is a perfect fit for my 93 trooper , 3.2 dohc . the part # is here on the forum somewhere.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fyi on how I got it loose. I placed the little jack that came with the trooper between the frame by the idler arm and the end of my 1/2" drive ratcheting torque wrench (I set the torque to max value). I opened the Jack enough that it started to shift the engine just a bit. That allowed the ratchet and 30mm socket to stay on the short hex head while I applied pressure to break it loose. Easy this way. Alleviates most of the cursing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
JLEMOND said:
namealreadyinuse said:
8-97101-953-1 the rubber Oring seal...
This part no longer exists, and also does not come up at Isuzuparts.com

Did they all just disappear?
I HAVE PLENTY OF THOSE O RINGS , 10.00 EACH INCLUDING THE POSTAGE IN THE U..S. JERRY
Thanks, your a great resource for our parts. You already helped me when I read your suggestion to jack up rear of trans when getting to the rear camshaft plugs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To anyone searching for this o-ring now that no part houses stock it, it is very easy to make for less than $5. I used 4mm square profile buna-n o ring cord stock from Mcmaster; I cut the right length and used super glue to glue the edges together. It has been on for a while and has not leaked.

I used PN: 1216n6 from McMaster-Carr. You can get three feet of it for $1.50. I oriented the seam towards the top of the oil cooler just to be safe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's sold by feel pro separate and together with the lower conversion seal kit. Yeah oh can also get it directly from Isuzu parts and Honda dealers stock them. And last but not least Jerry can always get them for you.

So even though you can make one. You still don't need to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.