Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the specialty isuzu tools for the job or know if isuzu still sells shims? I just finished adjusting the valves on my sportbikes and I'd like to do the amigo next. I'm sure it has at least two which are out of spec.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Now that's interesting...I assumed the V6's had hydraulic lifters (no adjustment) and the 2.6's had manual adjustment...no shims. I'm fairly confident of that but not being familiar with all models someone else can jump in!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
If we're talking about a 98+ DOHC, it does not have hydraulic lifters. They use a direct attack system that has the cam directly over the valves with a bucket that has a replaceable shim for proper clearance. It's a pretty tedious job getting them all within spec. It is a lot cleaner set-up than the freak show system the earlier SOHC engines had.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Tad said:
Jerry has mentioned in the past that the shims only wear on one side so during adjustment most of the time you can just flip them over.

Tad
That's an awesome idea. I think I need to do that with mine.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
How are you sure you have 2 valves out of spec? Are they ticking bad? If they aren't, leave them alone. Valve adjustment on these engines is not an easy job by any means! Most machine shops screw them up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.