Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cmon guys, how hard would it be to take a 2wd 2000 rodeo to 4wd. No really i want to know specifically. I know its cheaper to sell and buy. But what would really be involved with this. Would there be welding, or just bolt on action? New transmission?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You'd be looking at buying a whole front axle. CV's transmission, transfer case, new console for the interior so you can have the hole for the 4wd shifter. You would need to buy a 4wd switch for putting it into 4wd high.

I'm not sure if your front calipers are the same for a 2wd and a 4wd?

I'd say your rear driveshaft will need to be changed to a 4wd shaft.

I'm sure I'm overlooking a few things but that's just off the top of my head.

Joe

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
You're gonna loose your shorts either way you go.

Just trade it in or keep the 2WD.

Jim

·
Registered
825 Posts
trade out for a 4wd.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You'll want to swap in the t-case from a non-shift on the fly truck. The wiring and associated mess from the SOTF will give you nightmares if you try to retrofit. Then get a front axle (again non-sotf is best), spindles from a 2001 Rodeo/Amigo 4wd, hubs from an 89 Amigo, rear driveshaft from your year truck in 4wd, front driveshaft from same donor, console, maybe a crossmember up front, and CV shafts.

-Tad

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see about 4 trucks with similar years as mine in the junkyard, 3 of which are 4wd and the guy there is like my buddy so he gives me whatever i get from there dirt cheap. I want to know if it is physically possible for me to do this change. Or is there some crazy welding or something.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It will be a huge undertaking. Whoever pulls the front axle out of the j-yard will need to label the bolts and keep them for you.

There should be no welding, it should be all bolt on stuff. But understand that you will be looking at 4-5 hours just getting the axle out, maybe longer.

You will also need to verify your gear ratio and make sure you can match up with the front axle you buy. You are either 4.10 or 4.30.

If you really want to do this you are looking at a long and tedious process.

Joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Take my advise with a grain of salt. I have never attempted what you want to do.

If you are looking for a project to sharpen your wrenching skills. Go right ahead. I doubt you will be able to accomplish this project inexpensively, though.

For what you will spend, you could have a mild lift, some bigger tires, and some form of rear locker. Your Rodeo would be more capable off-road than many stock 4wd's.

If you have the time and money, I'm sure it would be an interesting project. Keep us posted. If you do it, we want to see pictures as you progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.