Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96S with 2 wheel ABS and a 97LS with 4 wheel ABS. I can see that there is a big block with lots of brake lines coming out of it on the 97 and a really small block with only 2 lines on it in the 96. My question is, what wheels are ABS? I expect it is the rear but I am not sure.

I expect it is a ton of work to fit 4wheel ABS to the 96, right?

Thanks
Gavin

·
Registered
535 Posts
Any wheel that is equipped with ABS will have a sensor so look for a wire going to that backing plate or dust cover. You should also see an ABS idiot light on the dash when the key is first switched to the on position.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The 94 has rear wheel 1S2V ABS system which has 1 speed sensor and 2 control valves. The primitive ABS system compares the rear axle speed to the vehicle speed to identity a skid condition. The ABS system does not know what wheel is skidding so the system simply functions both rear brakes at the same time. Also the system only becomes active over 25MPH and in a panic braking situation.

In 1995 or 1996 the US government department of transportation mandated that all new cars over a certain weight must be equipped with a 4S4V ABS system or 4 speed sensors & 4 valves. The 4 control valves are housed into one large control unit with the computer attached to the top. This more advanced system compares the speed of each wheel to the other wheels to identify a skid condition. The system knows what wheel sis skidding and it calculates what brake it needs to apply so safely slow the vehicle without making it loose control. Again the system only becomes active over 25MPH and in a panic braking situation.

It varies by manufacture, vehicle year & type that most 4x4 vehicles the ABS is automatically disabled in 4L. With some vehicles the ABS can be turned off manually in 4H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts