Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from a newbie!
After browsing the forum and recently joining the Planet I have decided to pose a question regarding my 98 rodeo. I'm jumping on the 3" lift bandwagon and was wondering about cranking the torsion bars on my 2 wheel drive. This would be done just to give it a better look on the street with 31 inch all-terrains and the Old Man coils (no off-roading). Would I also experience CV boot problems? I've seen suggestions to replace with manual hubs to alleviate this and was wondering if this would also apply to the 2WD as well? And/Or should I use the Darlington drop diff brackets? Or should I just stop the worries and crank it? Most of the shoptalk regarding lifts seem to focus on Off-Road 4WD's so I thought I would ask in case there may be problems doing this on mine. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know much about 2 wheel drive Rodeos; but, I do know that you don't have a front differential or CV joint of any kind. Therefore, you won't have any of the problems that the rest of us have once lifted. IF 2 wheel drive Rodeos use a torsion bar front suspension, then it should be able to lift it by cranking the bars.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Would I also experience CV boot problems? I've seen suggestions to replace with manual hubs to alleviate this and was wondering if this would also apply to the 2WD as well? And/Or should I use the Darlington drop diff brackets?
No, being a two wheel drive you do not have any CV's. CV joints are what connects the front differiential to the front wheels. In other words it's what drives the front tires. So no, you don't need to worry about them.

Manual hubs or Drop brakets won't help any ethier, you don't have a front diff to drop.

If you are wanting to lift a 2wd, go for it. The only thing you will run into is needing an alignment when you are finished. Look at the front page of www.planetisuzoo.com and then click all articles. Go to my write-up on the torsion bar crank. It's pretty self explanitory.

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahhh, relief - $$$ saved in not needed parts - no more nightmares of rubber tearing.......thanks for the info! Now that I'm safe, how high can I go. I've read that they can be cranked on the 2'nd gens up to 4" and still being able to get straight with an alignment. Has anyone went this far?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Doug (Bansil has gone 5"). I'd try and stay around 4.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well, my 2wd is jacked...adn my 4wd...

For the record.. 2wd vs 4wd frontend, parts match, MINUS, the front diff/axle assy..

Seriously, the spidles even have the bungs to be machined for the half shafts(axles)...

So..minus, a t-case, rear discs, adn front axle, they are the same.., oh yeah, and a FEW hunderd pounds..

Anyway, you shoudl be able to get away 4 inches without a problem, BUT, from what I remember of those roads in SanDog, you are gonna wanna stay with 3, so you dont loose too much downtravel...

No, I dont have any current pics of my 2wd, but there is some pics of my 4wd with 33s...

My 2 cents
Chase

My 2 cents...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.