Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been seriosly considering a 2nd gen trooper as of late. I think im going to sell the 1st gen and get a 2nd gen, maybe a 2000 model or so not sure yet. I have a son on the way and need some more room in the car and need to be able to get everyone in and have a little more reliable newer vehicle. Is there anything I should look for on a 99-2002 model. I know about the oil burning issue is there anything else I need to investigate when looking at them. Is there a way to roll back the electric odometer? I dont think there is but just wondering.
Also, I want to run 33x10.50 with minimal lift maybe raise the front about an inch or inch and a half so will that allow me to get 33's under it. Maybe a 1 inch body lift.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
First off, let me just say, that I think you should KEEP the 1st gen. I mean, they are cheap to insure and pretty cheap to maintain, so selling it would not really put much in your pocket. BUT, that's just my opinion.

Now, onto 2nd gen late model Troopers....there are some VERY nice ones for sale out there. I'd say the only real issues would be oil burning, windows binding, and potential transmission issues if you find a Trooper that was not properly cared for. Also, if they are anything like VX, you might have an ABS light on. :)

Other than that, I would just make sure you find a nice one. I've been eyeballin' this black beauty for a couple days now.

http://reno.craigslist.org/ctd/2693807978.html

:) Bart

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
keep the gen 1 that's what i'm doing. i'm piecing together a gen 2 right now and I feel it's worth mentioning that 98 and newer has that funky rear 12bolt in it. personally of the newer the 94-96 looks best....of the newer ones that is LOL.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id like to keep it but I dont need 5 vehicles and dont have the room to keep them either. I just bought an 06 scion XB as my DD, it looks like my trooper took a dump and the XB came out. I probably wont be setting the 2nd gen up too crazy, just a small lift and some 33's maybe a few things later on but there is one for sale its a 2000 with 111,000 on it and its real clean for 4000.00. Seems like a pretty good price but I want to sell mine first but I also want to put my wheels and tires on the new one so I would need to buy the 2nd gen first so I can swap wheels and tires.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
"it looks like my trooper took a dump and the XB came out"
that there is some funny ****.
that does sound like a decent price for a 2000, but like mentioned above, check her out real good. GL

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wife drives a galant and I have the trooper and a f-150. If I keep the trooper and get another one then I will have 5 cars. When I got the XB I "gave" the f-150 to my pops so I didnt have to keep it at my house and so if any of the rest of the family need a truck it will be there for whoever needs it. Its kind of an extended family truck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also just bought a little 4x6 military trailer that I am keeping at my dads too, I need to sand it down and repaint it and put some new tires on it and rewire the lights.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
better to be vehicle rich than vehicle poor ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
First off, let me just say, that I think you should KEEP the 1st gen. I mean, they are cheap to insure and pretty cheap to maintain, so selling it would not really put much in your pocket. BUT, that's just my opinion.

Now, onto 2nd gen late model Troopers....there are some VERY nice ones for sale out there. I'd say the only real issues would be oil burning, windows binding, and potential transmission issues if you find a Trooper that was not properly cared for. Also, if they are anything like VX, you might have an ABS light on. :)

Other than that, I would just make sure you find a nice one. I've been eyeballin' this black beauty for a couple days now.

http://reno.craigslist.org/ctd/2693807978.html

:) Bart
$5700 is insane for the year, mileage, and condition!!!! I can buy one of equal condition all day long here for $2000.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
agreed, while 5700 is steep you should expect to pay around 4-5k for a troop like that where I from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts