Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and I've started doing the 1UZFE swap into my 92 trooper stick shift.
I have the motor and harness and I've started doing all the math for making parts to mate the two together.
I plan on posting the build of course but I thought I would check and see if anyone would be interested in doing the same swap because while I'm at the machine shop making parts it would be easier to make more all at once.
Now I know price is always an issue which is why I decided to post this thread, yet there are two options that I am comfortable doing but the prices will be very different.
Option 1. Modify a 4Runner flywheel and assemble a clutch kit that will work. Meaning custom pilot bearing, finding a clutch disk that will mate with the flywheel and pressure plate and making an internal clutch slave cylinder/throughout bearing work with it.
I'm still doing the research on this option to see if it's even possible.
Option 2. Make a custom flywheel and pilot bearing. Now I know this sounds way easier but it's not that much easier and it's looking way more expensive.

Option 1. Parts list for kit
Engine/trans adapter plate, motor mount brackets and complete clutch kit with flywheel.
No price available yet as further research depends on the feedback I get.

Option 2. Parts list for kit
Engine/trans adapter plate, custom flywheel and custom pilot bearing. The factory Isuzu clutch would work and would not be included.
This option would be roughly $1000.00

These kits would be completely bolt in without any other necessary fab work except wiring, heater hoses and cooliyfans etc. (I will be providing all the part numbers on all parts I use for the swap)

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
I believe John Scarnhorst Johny5 has already done this. Look for the "isuzu V8 swap " page on facebook.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only seen him do it on a first gen and the first gen is very different besides I tried messaging him and he didn't reply back.

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
G-Force junky said:
I've only seen him do it on a first gen and the first gen is very different besides I tried messaging him and he didn't reply back.
The drivetrain in a 1st Gen with a 2.6 or V6 engine, is the same as that in your 92. The transmissions only change from 98 onwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the motor in my 92 is a3.2L v6 and I've had my hands on both first gen and second gen and the transmissions as well as the bolt patterns are different and the clutch/flywheels are different.
I checked out some of the Facebook thread and a few people asked if he was going to do the second gen and there was no response.

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
G-Force junky said:
Well the motor in my 92 is a3.2L v6 and I've had my hands on both first gen and second gen and the transmissions as well as the bolt patterns are different and the clutch/flywheels are different.
I checked out some of the Facebook thread and a few people asked if he was going to do the second gen and there was no response.
The bell housing swaps over. It's the same transmission. The input shaft is the same, so the clutch discs interchange too. The only one that is different is the trans in the pre 88 Troopers with the 2.3

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you are suggesting that I go buy a front case or transmission (so I can swap the front case) from a first gen, buy an new slave cylinder, buy a first gen flywheel and clutch assembly so I can used his swap kit (&450.00). And keep in mind my price is Canadian $and his is US$ ( exchange is 32% right now)
Sounds like a lot of work and money.
I've looked inyhis swap kit and he doesn't explain much which is why I tried contacting him. I checked the first gen flywheel and it doesn't work without modifications. The bolt holes have to be elongated and the ring gear is a different size so I'm not sure what he does there. I also see him cutting into the transmission case at the starter location, something that makes me cringe especially after I would have to buy one just to chop it up. Not only that it looks like he doesn't use all the the bolt holes on the transmission which I disagree with especially after he just removed some of the transmissions structure. If I'm taking my vehicle off-road I want it as strong as possible.
His adapter plate is drilled on a drill press and I'm not knocking a drill press but when it comes to lining up an engine and transmission the dowel pins are very important and in my experience a drill press doesn't cut it.
I'm not trying to trash talk his kit, it seems to be working and I haven't heard anyone complaining about it. I just don't agree with the way he did it. Besides he built the kit for the first gen and it sounds like it can be made to fit the second gen although what I'm making is a kit (made on c&c machines) that easily bolt up to a second gen without sourcing other parts to make it work especially parts that are hard to come by (at least where I am) and another issue I'm considering is the fact that I just installed a new clutch and slave cylinder which I'm thinking other people are considering.

Now after all the things we have talked about would you rather buy an adapter and flywheel that you can bolt up and use all of the factory gen 2 parts from your Trooper without any modifications besides the ones caused by the Toyota motor swap itself OR do all the things we have discussed?

I would appreciate it if everyone who checks out ths thread to please leave your opinion.

I know I had two different options listed but after doing more research I'm not considering the Toyota flywheel option anymore as it's more complicated than it needs to be.

In the end, I'm doing this swap my way. I think the Toyota swap is a great idea and I thank Jonny5 for that and I'm just trying to help anyone else out who may be interested.

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
I'm not suggesting you do anything, I was simply bringing to your attention that it's the same transmission, and that it can be easily had. I don't know anything about the Johny kit aside from that it works. I myself if I were wanting to seap in a V8 would use the transmission native to the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you and I'm with you, unfortunately that's not an option as it would cost way too much for me as this never came with a stick shift or 4x so that would take a lot of Toyota Frankensteining and modifying.
I like my Trooper but the motor recently developed a rod knock and I'm looking for more reliablity and ore power so this is where I'm at. I wish the stock motor was a better motor.

I definitely appreciate your feedback!!!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'd use the best kit available, or make my own, as you are doing, if I wasn't convinced of it's durability.

The manual trans would be more fun, but if an auto was an option, you can Frankenstein some interesting things together. I thought about this before and I would see if I could use the bell and torque converter from the donor car, and the auto trans out of a t100 that would essentially be the same transmission as the one behind the 1uz, but with a passenger side drop toyota transfer case behind it. Or, you could use the later years rodeo/axiom a340 variant with the isuzu case.

If you want to get into taking the trans apart, you could swap the input shaft from the toyota trans and swap it into the jeep variant AW4 and toss all sorts of interesting transfer cases behind it.

Toyota guys have found a few manuals to throw behind it. But if you are dead set on the MUA5, you are going to have some work to do, but it sounds like you are up for the challenge, and I wish you good luck!

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
Just being the devils advocate here, but if cost is a concern, why not just rebuild the 6V1D? They really are great, long lasting engines if treated right and there are lots of options to rebuild them for more power/greater reliability. I can only imagine that swapping in a 1UZFE will be a huge and expensive project. Not only from the mechanical standpoint, but splicing in the harness to get everything to work right. You'll probably have to be running two ECM's I'd guess?
I dunno, I love the 1UZFE, its an amazing engine. But, is it worth the effort to put it in a Trooper? I don't think so. But hey, if you're into swaps and have the mechanical aptitude, could be really cool! I wish you luck!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but why a 1uz? I'm not saying it's a bad engine because it's really not. It's just there's some things that make it less then ideal. Like overhead cams making it really wide, transmission compatibility, overly complicated everything..... It just seems like because J5 did this it's now the only swap possible for an Isuzu. There are much easier engines to swap in that make more power, are less complicated and have a dizzying amount of aftermarket support. I wish you the best and look forward to your build thread.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The only ideal easy swap would be 2.8 to 3.4. Anything else requires money and mods. J5 really did his due diligence on this swap and it seems to make sense. I found one with 115k for $500 in Kentucky that I'm going to put in my 89 RS Trooper. Eventually I will find another to replace the 3.4 in my 91.

[BBvideo 560,340:11fo4asd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UGICmezKQo&t=594s[/BBvideo]

Cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it might be an easier swap if you sourced an Ar5 trans & non tod auto tcase. Then used a kit like this http://www.akinamotorsportz.com/1jz-2jz ... -kit-combo ... The AR5 and Toyota r series use the same rear bell housing pattern... might also need the r series input shaft.

it would actually be more convenient to have a 92-95 auto trooper to start with and use the manual trooper for the donor parts..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey SRN, the reason I chose to go with the 1UZFE is because I wanted a reliable motor with good HP and torque, something that in my experience with them would cost way more than it's worth and I think the 1UZFE is a great candidate. I've worked most of my life in the automotive world and I like doing custom projects and as odd as it might sound I enjoy doing wiring and have done lots of it.
As for the ECU's I won't have to run two because I'm not running two engines. All the rest of the vehicle systems are not controlled by it as they are essentially separate systems. And the 1uz will be just another separate system.

imamonstertruck and 92TCTrooper I'm glad guys like you post your knowledge because more information available is perfect help for choosing the best option. For me, all this info solidified my idea to make my own flywheel and adaptor because I just recently swapped mine over to manual and all I want is to mate it to a 1uz without having to change a bunch more parts to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
G-Force junky said:
Hey SRN, the reason I chose to go with the 1UZFE is because I wanted a reliable motor with good HP and torque, something that in my experience with them would cost way more than it's worth and I think the 1UZFE is a great candidate. I've worked most of my life in the automotive world and I like doing custom projects and as odd as it might sound I enjoy doing wiring and have done lots of it.
As for the ECU's I won't have to run two because I'm not running two engines. All the rest of the vehicle systems are not controlled by it as they are essentially separate systems. And the 1uz will be just another separate system.

imamonstertruck and 92TCTrooper I'm glad guys like you post your knowledge because more information available is perfect help for choosing the best option. For me, all this info solidified my idea to make my own flywheel and adaptor because I just recently swapped mine over to manual and all I want is to mate it to a 1uz without having to change a bunch more parts to make it work.
I think the speedo and fuel guage, at least, go through the ECM on the Trooper. Maybe you can run that off the Toyota ECM, I don't know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the heads up mudoilngears, I looked for my wiring diagram for the trooper but I couldn't find it so as soon as I do I will post the answer.

I just want to apologize for my tardy response time, my fiancé is about to burst and my spare time has become a myth lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts