Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size should I get, 58" or 67"? And if you have pics that would be awesome.

or if you have the Rocky Road Super sliders with pics? And can it also be functional as a side step? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I have the Rocky Road sliders and really like the main part of them. I dont like the way they mount though. I keep saying I'm going to get the mounts redone but havent yet. I need another vehicle so I can drop the rodeo off a shop and leave it there while they change things. Rocky Roads are perfect length and much heavier steel then the Trail Gear ones (main tube is trailer hitch steel and they weigh 45 lbs each). If you get the ones with the bump out tube like mine it makes a handy step. The problem with how they mount is the bolt to the rocker panel pinch seam then just have 2 flat plates that bolt to the frame. You have to drill the holes in the frame and they give you self tapping bolts so there are only a couple threads holding each one. I lost some of the bolts in Moab this year.

Side shot with sliders

There are a bunch more pics of the Rocky Road sliders in THIS POST from DBAIRD99 since his were the prototype. Shots of the mounting are in there too.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am looking into a set from Trail Gear as well. Would like to see more pic and what size people are running. I dont think I would bolt mine on though, would just weld them on.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gizmo42 said:
I have the Rocky Road sliders and really like the main part of them. I dont like the way they mount though.
So how are you planning on improving the mount, welding it?

I thought DBAIRD99 had the basic Rock rails. Do you have a pic or measurement of how far the super sliders stick out from under the door?
I would like a little room so it can be used as a step. Im planning on lifting a little more, and my GF is only like 4'10".
*edit: I misread, and saw that he has the super sliders as well. No need for more pics.

I like the Rocky Road sliders, because its pretty much bolt on. That would work best for my apartment situation right now.
But if the mounting design needs to be modified, then it might not be worth the premium price for it.
And as per DBAIRD99, his sliders only allow for a little more than his toes to use it as a step.

The Trail gear ones are reasonably priced for a basic rock slider and from what I have seen stick out far enough to be used as step.
I can also get it locally and hopefully save on the shipping cost. And let them install it as well.

Ian1006 said:
I am looking into a set from Trail Gear as well. Would like to see more pic and what size people are running. I dont think I would bolt mine on though, would just weld them on.
Im not sure which size to get. I have only seen them on one 2nd gen Rodeo (RodeoRed's), but im not sure if he got the 58" ones.
I know Ramairz had the 78" ones and had to cut them to fit. Desertbenny had 58" on his '86 Troop. lorenzo816 has some on his '97 Rodeo, but I didnt see the size.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mentioned it was for a 4runner, so it probably was the 58". Id measure but I cant seem to find my friggen tape measure. :lol:

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Yeah the kickout bar on the super sliders doesnt stick out all that far. I use it alot though for stuff on the roof rack and when waxing. I've had mine for about 4 yrs now and they are still bolt on. They still do the job but the bolts into the frame keep backing/pulling out and I've had to retighten them a few times. I've even used the highlift on one of them when I had to change a flat. It did flex up but no damage done. So its not horrible if they are bolted but not as good as welded.

As much as I hate having them welded on (I much prefer them to be removable) I think thats the way I will end up going.

With the trail gear ones you can weld them to any angle you want so can make more of a step if you wish. The thing I didnt like about them is the tube thickness seemed a bit thin to me for sliders. And the fact they have to be welded which didnt work for me living in an apt (so no welder) and no 2nd vehicle (cant leave it with someone to do the work).

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, im going to go with the trail gear. Im probably not even going to climb any rocks. Now I just need to find that darn tape measure :lol:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My common sense was missing... Paint your sliders BEFORE you weld them. Your neck will thank you.

> that is all.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts

I built these from a pic of what was on my buddy's amigo ... It's not a good setup to have them frame mounted and attatched to the body, that'll tear your rig apart in time !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts