Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a 2nd battery and upgrade the alt. I wanted to see some others who added a 2nd battery. How you mounted it and where? Any JY battery trays that work good in the Troopers? Aftermarket trays? I will be adding four 100w lights on the bumper, CB with PA, Radio with separates, amp and sub, another light in the rear and when I find a roof rack I will add a few more lights. So I am thinking the stock system probably will need to be upgraded.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Which engine?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Not familiar with the underhood look of the 6 banger. Some folks remote an auxiliary battery to the rear compartment.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
At the risk of hi jacking this thread, I too am interested to see who has installed a second battery, for the 2.6 4 cylinder, and especially any under the hood installs. SoCalChris beat me to the punch.

shooter said:
Not familiar with the underhood look of the 6 banger. Some folks remote an auxiliary battery to the rear compartment.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Use search. There's a thread or two.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't have two batteries, but I managed to cram a 65 series battery (same battery in the f150-350)
In my trooper. Puts out 850cca and a reserve capacity of 120. You might be able to just get a big optima and make that work out.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Crammed it where? In the stock position? Got any photos of the install?

thebigbread said:
I don't have two batteries, but I managed to cram a 65 series battery (same battery in the f150-350)
In my trooper. Puts out 850cca and a reserve capacity of 120. You might be able to just get a big optima and make that work out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
yep, it's in the stock position. its just a really tight fit, i removed the small intake tube that goes between the headlight and battery for a better fit (i could get it in there with it in position. but it was a very tight fit)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
photos?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My battery tray was missing the hold down parts. So the battery is "seat belted" in with zip ties.. NOT my doing..
I was looking under the Trooper today and noticed there is a large amount of space under the back seat area. Got me thinking of taking the back seat out and cutting a hole in the floor to install a "hidden" battery. Cut the hole, make a drop in battery box and weld it in. It would also be a great location for powering my amp and extra power outlet in the back.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks for the photos.

Regarding the photo of the 1st gen battery mount next to the fuse box, is the battery a smaller than normal battery? There is not a whole lot of space in that location to mount a 'normal' sized battery.

Tad said:
Here's a 2nd gen tray:

1st gen custom tray:

You could mount a tray to the frame:

Or cut an access panel under the rear seat and fit a box there. There's lots of room under there, particularly on the side without the exhaust.

-Tad

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 4 kc daylighter 100w each, a cb radio and a 12inch sub in my 91 2.6 trooper and i havent made any battery modifications. It only draws when i kick on my off road lights and have my sub on. But i just dont listen to it while i 4x4 anyways. i like to hear evrything and chat to my passengers.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
This is good information. Do you use a red top, yellow top, or equivalent battery?

Hellested said:
I have 4 kc daylighter 100w each, a cb radio and a 12inch sub in my 91 2.6 trooper and i havent made any battery modifications. It only draws when i kick on my off road lights and have my sub on. But i just dont listen to it while i 4x4 anyways. i like to hear evrything and chat to my passengers.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I like the idea of a battery box under the rear floor from above. Nice spot on pass side.

For batteries I'm loving my Optima blue tops. They are deep cycle and have both auto style and wing nut marine terminals. makes it easy to hook up accessories.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
That is a great idea and location. No room on the RS to put a battery in that location.

squatch said:
I like the idea of a battery box under the rear floor from above. Nice spot on pass side.

For batteries I'm loving my Optima blue tops. They are deep cycle and have both auto style and wing nut marine terminals. makes it easy to hook up accessories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts