Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL, I ALREADY INSTALLED A K&N FILTER, BUT ITS HAD THE STOCK TIRES ON IT AND I'M ABOUT TO DO SOME THINGS SO HERE GOES...

HOW SHE SITS NOW, BONE STOCK 1995 TROOPER, 278.887 MILES, 3.2 SOHC, 5 SPEED, 245/75/16 STREET TIRES AND A K&N FILTER...I ALREADY REPACKED THE FRONT HUBS, PUT NEW MOBIL-1 OIL IN IT, CHANGED THE DIFF, TRANNY AND XFER CASE OIL...

HERE'S THE NEW USED 265/75/16 DUNLOP MUD ROVERS I SCORED AND STUFFED IN MY SATURN TO BRING HOME TODAY...

HOPEFULLY MOUNT MY RUBBER THIS WEEKEND AND GET MY SPACERS ON THE WAY, I HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED 1.5" RUBBER AUTOZONE SPACERS, BUT I THINK I'M GOING TO WAIT ON SOME POLY 2" SPACERS...I KNOW ITS NOTHING IMPRESSIVE, BUT I'M HOPING TO WORK AT IT UNTIL I CAN FIT THESE, MY 33X14.50 BOGGERS I HAD ON MY SAMURAI FOR A FEW TRAIL RIDES...

IF NOT I CAN ALWAYS TRADE OR SELL THEM FOR COOL TROOPER PARTS RIGHT ???? :wink:

OH, ALMOST FORGOT, I KNOW ITS OLD SCHOOL, BUT I FOUND A FRONT END BRA FOR THIS THING FOR $30, ITS LIKE NEW, I THINK IT WILL JUST LOOK DIFFERNT FOR NOW AND KEEP THESE DARN BUGS OFF, BUT IT WILL BE ON TOMORROW AS WELL I WILL GET SOME INSIDE PICS AND SOME AFTER I GET THE TIRES AND BRA ON TOMORROW...

I'M HELL EXCITED, IM SURE ALOT OF YOU GUYS AND GALS REMEMBER WHEN YOUR RIDE WAS STOCK, EVERY LITTLE CHANGE MAKES IT MORE AWESOME !!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the mud rovers on today, looks perfect, way better stance, looks like a jeep eater now !!!

heres the before...

And...after new used mud tires tires and a bath...

The interior could use a shampoo, but its decent for almost 300k if you ask me, it had no floormats, so i just grabbed some grey/black rubber ones from autozone...have plans for inclinometer/compass, cd player and amp in a custom cabinet in rear that will double as a tool/gear box and be the same height as the rear seats folded so i can sleep up there as well...

I also have all the window tint to do all the windows, its jut its a big tint project and i need to set apart a whole day to do it becuase its alot of glass and i'm picky, if its not right, i will tear it off and redo it...

I scored a bra for the front end as well, going to tint the corner lights before i put it on though and i'm going to look at a roof rack tomorrow...its already making my girl question me, hahaha !!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going with 2" lift in the rear, I would love any inut on about how faar to turn the torsion bars and if i should do anything wlse besides get an alignment, such as brake line extensions, ball joint, jounce bumper (bump stops) modification, or anything else you guys would like to add, please feel free to talk some chit, haha...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i was actually thinking that when i posted that picture, its because my cell phone isonly like 3 megapixels, but the tread is about 3/8" on all 4 tires, i got a really, really good deal from a guy who works at a tire shop, he had them for $250, but needed money bad, so I got them for $150...cant beat that !!!

All of the are the same tread as this one, they look much beefier in person for some reason...think about the fact that its a 32" tire and look at the tread compared to the tire size...I never had a dunlop truck tire before, but they make awesome atv and dirtbike tires, so hopefully they will do alright for me...

Only downfall is that if i like them, apparently this is a rare size or they are discontinued because i cannot find any anywhere for ANY price, even brand new :cry:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, finally got my WOLF bra on the front, I like it and i havent ever seen one with one, so i thought it was a cool add-on untill i pack it full of mud, haha...I have ventvisors for it should be on soon here and i also picked up my flowmaster which will be on sometime this upcoming week...

Pics of bra installed...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
First off.. Great looking Rig, and +++ Kudo's on it being a manual, those are rare. Badass tires, but man, that bra has to go..IMO, it looks bad.. as in, not good.. its all wrinkled and doesn't match the rest of the truck.. IMO.. please don't take offense, none is intended certainly.. Love your truck!! But in my opinion, that bra just doesn't do it justice. Did I mention the tires again yet? They look beast man.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks man, the bra is curently off until i get the time to detail it again, she had a rough sunday, not really but i did go through a mud hole or two, i wasnt sure how it would do in stock form, but it was pretty impressive, the traction it has really is a big diffrence from like an ifs blazer or something, this bugger kept gong without spinning a tire even when the bumper was plowing clay mud...it fared very well in the ruts too, i wa criss-crossing them just to get my suspension flexing a bit and i had both rear passengers hanging out wowing at the rear flex and thats stock, haha, now i'm even more exited to get it off the ground and get some more travel with low profile bump stops and whatever other tricks i can find...the bra is just something different to me, it was the only one i've ever seen and i got it with the original paperwork and box, so i grabbed it up, its just a small accesory that makes it stand out from others around and its a heck of alot easier to clean bugs off it than a radiator and paint...no offense taken, to each his own...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh, and that was when i first put it on, after some sunshine and a ride dwn the road or two, she was nice and smooth, then i ripped it off to go wheelin, haha...

On another note, I put my muffler on saturday...sounds sweet, cant hear it inside though...I'm debating hollowing the cat...

I also replaced my plugs, man, it needs sparg plug grommets, i guess i'll order a whole topend gasket set because i plan on tearing it all up to fix the tick anyhow..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got some junkyard coil springs from the front of a grand cherokee as well as a set from a cherokee sport, I am currently experimenting with ride height and mounting options. I will take more pics when i'm done...at current i'm making some 3.5" diameter plate steel washers and rubber isolators and i'm going to use the washers and hardened bolts to actually sandwich the bottom of the spring to the top of my oem spring pad on the axle, i figure this will work as a spring retainer for later down the road whn i need more travel because i'm gong much bigger...

i wish i had time for a diff drop because it looks sick with alot of lift...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
superswire said:
BTW, i cant edit the 1st post, but its definately a single cam engine, my bad...

Fixed it for you, SOHC it is..Joe
Hey thanks Joe, shows how much H knew about my trooper when i bought it, i pretty much figured even though the engine was ticking, it was ALOT of truck for the money, It felt like a tank when i test drove it, power everything, power heated mirrors, a/c, BOXED frame, skidplates, ZERO rust, aluminum wheels, 6 speaker sound, real 4x4, REAL differentials, I especialy liked the iron axle in the front, i mean it still has cv ends, but its alot beefier than most of the other ifs designs i've seen, hell some of these ifs trucks have ALUMINUM diffs, i'm sure they grenade all over the trails alot...

Anyhow, I've already put over 3,000 miles on it and i love it more each day, its still ticking, but i figure i'll have the time someday and hell, if the engine blows, I already looked and can get a decent mileage engine for 500 or under and I can rebuild myself or buy a whole rebuilt engine for 2 grand and still be less in debt than most people who have a vehicle similar to mine...

Thanks to everyone on here for your knowledge and opinions BTW...definately makes owning an isuzu a little easier and a little more fun... 8)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the cherokke springs dnt really change ride height AT ALL, they are the 6cyl ones, going to try the v8 ones next, it DOES seem to ride a bit better though 8)

BTW i did not cut the small end of the spring, i got 2 1.5" threaded galvanized steel pipe caps from lowes, drilled 1/2" holes in them, flipped them upside down on my springplate and anchored them down with 2 1/2:x1.5" grade-8 bolts, washer on the bottom, lock washer and nut on top, best part abut this is no welding, its removable and the threaded steel internal pipe cap screws over the top of it so mud wont collect in it... :D

i'm sure you can bolt any size cap you need on there depending on what vehicle yu stole your lift springs from...

Hope it helps you guys lookin for a budget lift...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Good looking Trooper. I really like the green.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay guys, so i got some cherokee springs and stuck them on the back and added a 1" spacer, cranked the tbs to match...
here's some pics and i'm going to copy and paste from another thread how i did it :

I chocked the wheels and jacked it up by the rear axle til the drivers side rear tire was about 2 inches off the ground, removed the wheel, put jackstands under the frame, clamped down on the springs with 2 of my external compressors, unbolted the shock and upper swaybar mount with a 19mm for the shcok and 14mm socket and small balljoint wrench (part of a set i bought, basically a 1/8" thick flat wrench set that fits between the rubber of a balljoint and whatever it bolts to, in this case my swaybar), i disconnected those, dropped that side down until i took all the slack out of the brakeline and then some (hey its rubber right), i removed the stock spring and isolator, moved my compressors to the jeep spring, set a 1" spacer fom autozone on top of it and set it in place, the top fits, the bottom is resting on top of my springpad on my axle, After grinding the slag and casting lines off, I predrilled the steel pipe caps with a 1/4" bit, then a 1/2 bit, just used regular dewalt bits and wd40 as lube/coolant (nice to have a little brother that can operate a smart-straw while i was drilling, haha), i put a grade-8 zinc plated washer on a grade-8 1/2"x1.5" bolt and snaked it up from the bottom of the spring pad between it and the axle tube, it will not fit from the back, only the front there is just enough room to fish it in with your fingertips...I then set the pipe cap over the half inch bolt, placed a lockwasher and nut on it and tightened them down with a 3/4 deep socket on top thru the spring and a 3/4 box end wrench from the bottom rear, i then put a steel internal cap over top of the mes with some ptfe tape to seal it from elements. all i had to do then was jack the rear back up, aligning first the shock and re-attaching it, then the upper swaybar mount, to do the swaybar mount easier, i raised the rear up until the stud on the swaybar link balljoint went through the hole on the swaybar, i stated the nut, but the bumpstop is in the way for a socket, i didnt have a 14mm ratchet wrench, so i just lowered the rear diff back down til i had enough clearance to use my duralast ratchet and my balljoint wrench, i tightened it up, jacked the rear diff back up untill it was a hair above the jackstand (full weight on spring), removed the compressors,(the compressors pretty much fall off at this point) then just put the wheel back on and let her back down on all fours, i then did the passenger side the exact same except its mucheaser because htere is ALOT more room with no exhaust and more clearance on the fuel tank i think, i dont know, but WOW, theres alot more on that side...i set is back down, took it for a ride, measured and i it was 36" from ground to bottom of fender flare on my tape mark...I gained 1", meaning the 6 cyl springs dont do crap for a trooper, but they do ride better, so def an option for your rodeo/amigo guys/gals out there...i had presoaked my Tbs, so i took the weight off them and turned the drivers side about 30 or 40 1/4 tirns (couldnt get a full rotation with the leverage i had), it was pretty easy, i dropped and checked it, let it down, raised the other side, WAYYY HARDER to turn for whatever reason, rust, dirt, who knows, just a pain in the BUTT !!!, anyhow all 4 corners are about the same now, 36" in the back and 35 3/4" in the front from the pavement to the center of my wheel wells, doesnt look awfuly high, but it does soak up bumps a little, well okay alot better...its only up abut an inch or so, I'm shooting for 3", so well see what the v8 ones do, if that doesnt get me 3" I'm just going to go bigger again...

truck jacked up to start...

trooper spring on top, cherokee 6cyl front spring on bottom (notice ALOT more coils)

Some veiws of the cherokee spring sitting on top of my spring pad with the retainer i made inside of it (i have the plug removed so you can see the bolt, but 1.5" plug caps screw right in to keep the mud out and i used coated grade-8 bolts for strenth, also coated with copper anti-sieze), the retainers cost me like 13 bucks and the springs were 20 from a buddy, the 1" rubber spacers that i used in place of the upper isolators were $17 for 2 at advance auto parts, torsion crank cost me a little elbow grease... cant beat that...

finally heres a pic of stock height with 265/75/16...

and with the cherokee 6cyl springs, 1" spacer and tb crank (its level, the back is just downhill a bit)

hallelujah junkyard parts !!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, i decided to test my newly lifted suspension flex, rear is as good as it can be with stock shocks and front, weel, the front sucks, haha...Anyhow, heres some pics...

i can already tell i want to make my front flex a bit better as well as get some bigger tires, this thing is starting to make the 32s look like donuts...
I also went exploring today, pretty much just hillclimbing in 2 wheel and checking out the new trails opened up by the recent logging near my house, lots of cool stuff to play on. i did put it 4x4 just to get the oil movin in the front diff, haha...

more lift and extended shocks coming soon :D

1 - 20 of 93 Posts