Isuzu SUV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
We typically go out around 10ish to ride the trails. We go as a group to guide, spot and help each other through the tough spots and where you may feel unsure. Lorenzo is a excellent spotter and has help me many times. If you miss us when the main group departs there are several areas where you can join or meet up. I myself am always good for a run whenever if I'm not already out. We typically decide on a channel for the CB upon departure since there are many other groups not associated w us on various channels, we pick one that's free from chatter. Dont worry about getting stuck or not being able to make it through. there are places to turn around and again many including myself are there to help. One word of advice. Listen to the people who know the trails, like Lorenzo, superswire, and Van. I've been going almost 3 years now sometimes 2x a year and still I have a lot to learn. Hopefully this addresses everything. I will arrive on Friday around 1ish. Willie Morris is going to be coming a few hours after me. Cant wait to see old faces and am looking forward to meeting new ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks.
looking forward to it.
don't have a CB, guess ill have to get one for next time unless someone has an old one for cheap I can buy on site.
at a minimum, i'll call/text Lorenzo for a link up location if we miss your departure Saturday morning.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you are close when we go to leave I'm sure it will not be a issue to wait for you

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've never had an issue listening to those who know what they are talking about, I always have an issue knowing the who knows it and who just wants to think they do. I was people all the time give advice for driving on sand and then see both them and the other party stuck with me pulling them out. I will have my service dog with me so i don't be doing anything that might be uncomfortable for him anyways. No rock climbing for me.

Maybe I should adjust my leave time to try and be there by 10 or slightly earlier... Google maps is saying it will be almost a 3:30hr drive so. I really don't want people to wait for me so I'll either aim to be on time or play catch up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am all to familiar w service dogs. I am a vet and have friends who have them. Where are you coming from. I can give you a realistic idea of the time frame. Depending on where you are coming from the traffic can definitely change the dynamic

·
Registered
205 Posts
Carolina Beach, NC this weekend

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just be weary of I40. Traffic as you probably know can be pain. I'm coming from Near Charlottesville VA and there has been more than a few times that I40 has made my ETAchange dramatically. You will be on it during rush hour so just a heads up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm coming by I76 West, Google Maps said 4:30hr if I go by I40

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Agreed with Blane ^^^ 100%
also if you want to jump in with someone else that is willing to take you and your dog when something gets hairy or if you want to turn around, no problem at all.
Some obstacles will be cake for others and take all day for someone driving open/open. It goes both ways with spotters and experienced drivers. Some get off the gas too soon and others floor it when they shouldn't.
As for timing, realistically and depending on how damn cold it is, we may not get rolling out until 10 anyhow.
I know in earlier years people like to shoot for 9am but I have no problems waiting for people.
Pack a lunch when you go because you never know how long we're going to be out and heading back can cause a lot of doubleing back confusion/weariness.

DAN! are you cooking for us Saturday or what?
I'll pitch in $5.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Luckly I have a LSD in the rear and IT WORKS. I found that applying a little hand brake when one tire is lifted helps transfer power quicker to the one on the ground. It's so nice. As for lunch, I always pack MREs when going on a trip and really don't mind them, even cold. Well, most of them. There are a few that have to be piping hot to enjoy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
LSD rears are almost a must out there anymore. Havent had a MRE in years. Dont worry itll all work out. Somehow out there it always does. Maybe bc the guys who are out there are so used to rush rush all week that hanging about waiting to run the trail isnt such a bad thing lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll bring you an MRE if you want :p I have about 3 months worth... I eat once a day at most

·
Registered
483 Posts
No I help run FEMA missions up and down the east coast. I have had my fun w MREs. Unless you have the Turkey w stuffing one. Then yes please lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll have to look. One of my favorites is the veggie lasagna...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey y'all. I have space at my site if anybody needs. It's just me and I sleep in truck. I'll be there 7th-10th. #30

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmmm... That might be better than finding a place off the track spot to do the same thing...

·
Registered
45 Posts
More than welcome Roxy. Doggo is a plus.

·
Registered
205 Posts
He's soooo spoiled. He's got an electric blanket for camping... :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really gotta pay attention where I'm posting or stop posting when I'm exhausted! :( That was not meant for here, althought it is true. Thanks Charlie, I PM'd you.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
jarred said he is coming too. Site 29 should be up for booking. Alex (detzel-pretzel) Said he dropped it this week, I haven't checked the Reservation site though yet.
Texted Dan and he said he plans to cook so bring some cash for friday to pitch in if you want to eat a group meal.
bring something extra to add to the meal too if you don't like surprise campfire goodness.
we usually do a cobbler in a dutch oven too if Wayne is there.
I've also been in touch with the other Wayne (monster trooper) and trying to encourage him to show up.
Ron should be down Saturday morning and Paul on Sunday.
If anyone wants to stick around to see if we go on a ride Sunday or just pack up and roll, I know some of you guys like to leave early sunday and have long drives back home, anyhow though, if anyone does want to stick around and see if we ride, just come meet up with me and we'll see if Paul shows up in the Burban or drives Ruby.

See you guys tomorrow.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts