Isuzu SUV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't need power, I have 1000w inverter if I do. Bathhouse? one night won't kill me. I was national guard, try no baths for a week. Then you want one. I still carry MREs everywhere I go. No fire needed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just found out a Toyota group will be there the 8, 9 and 10th...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
There are typically a lot of groups there every weekend in the Fall, or heck every weekend it's halfway nice out. Bad weather and heat are the only things that keep the trails somewhat clear on the weekends.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Speaking of bad weather. Has it been raining down there to beat down the dust or no

·
Registered
205 Posts
What kind of radios does everyone use when they are out there? Anyone a licensed operator?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Raining today, tomorrow, taking a break this weekend, then raining a little next week before the event. As of now the weather looks like it will sunny and low 60's during the days and around 40 at night. Maybe some sprinkles Sunday morning. Good campfire weather!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good to hear. I actually like it when it gets a little slippery out there.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
It should be mostly dry with the rutted/low areas full of mud & water. Just enough to make the hard stuff a little harder and get some good orange stains on your headliner :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh you haven't seen the mods and new capabilities of the 89. Cant wait to show them off.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
@roxyschram
We typically use CBs or honk our horns if anyone needs it.
Hand signals and trust your spotter when you need it. LOL

As for the $$, I hear ya and agree it is a bit much for anyone not looking to blow $30 unnecessarily.
Our 'unofficial' event campground fees are still a hundred+ dollars LESS than some of the other events I go to at private parks where you have to pay to camp and ride.
That being said, most of us just want to get together, shoot the sh t and go wheeling then hang out at camp. Truly a relaxed group of folks, that is until something breaks. Or a newbie can't drive and puts on a show.
I can certainly show you some free places right of the road where you can camp and shouldn't be messed with. There are actually quite a bit of primitive spots off the trails and off the main gravel roads you can pull into and the LEO won't bother you.

Also, I got the clutch to stop slipping by cutting my slave rod a bit and shortening the master rod back to where I had more play. Thanks Ron for talking me off a ledge.

And on my test run a few weeks ago just wanted to say, y'all gonna have a hell of a time getting towards the hill climb on dutch john. There are two ruts the size of motorbikes that even when dry were a pain to get up,. I can only imagine if they are wet or muddy the fun we're gonna have.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just wanted to come out and enjoy the trails and meet a bunch of people I haven't met. See what others have done to their rides. I'm no newbie to off-roading but I'm no expert either. I like the idea of having a camp site just because I've had issues in the past. I'll probably just make it a day trip if I go so I don't have to worry too much about where to "park up"

·
Registered
55 Posts
roxyschram said:
What kind of radios does everyone use when they are out there? Anyone a licensed operator?
I am a licensed amateur radio operator. My call sign is KN4KDJ. I have two young children, so I am also licensed GMRS radio operator for the whole family to use. The call sign in WRCW517.

For HAM radio operation, I have used a Baofeng radio with an external, mag mount antenna. It got out pretty well, and I was able to hit some repeaters, but the radio took a dump, and I need to order a new one. I may be able to before next weekend.

Eventually, I would like to have a mobile radio professionally installed. I noticed that you have an in-dash ICOM. I'm interested to see your set-up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sweet! I'm glad there will be another one. I have been wanting to see how well it works simplex in areas like that... If you are going to get a handheld, the best one I've ever used was the Retevis RT82 with GPS. I like being able to key up and someone else be able to see where I'm at if I need help. It's DMR compatible too, which is good and bad. I prefer DSTAR over DMR for so many reasons... Sadly price isn't one of them. I will have my RT82, Apollo 2 and ID5100 with me... If you need help installing a radio let me know. I installed all of mine in both my SLX and my XC70. I drilled a hole in the roof of the XC70 and did a permanent mount. Works great too!

IMG_20191031_152144.jpg

IMG_20191031_153147.jpg

IMG_20191031_153213.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow! That's an awesome set up. I am relatively new to amateur radio. Definitely interested in talking to you about installing a radio.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've been real busy with work and couldn't get to doing some maintenance on my Trooper until today. Unfortunately, I don't think it is up for the trip and I don't have the time to get it done in time. I canceled my reservation so site 47 for Friday and Saturday night is probably open until somebody grabs it. I was really looking forward to it because I really need some time off, but it will have to be next time

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Looks like it's going to be nice and cold Friday and Saturday nights. :)

I've got a Hawse Fairlead and a knife sharpener to give away if anybody needs it... also have a set of heavy duty V cleated tire chains (brand new) that fit 33x10.50 15" tires, $35.

Don't forget to get your trail passes on the way in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wife and I will be able to attend this year with my 89 trooper. we have site 13 for Saturday and Sunday nights.

what is the schedule for Saturday?
thanks. nate

·
Registered
205 Posts
So I'm going to be driving up Saturday morning. I'm hoping to be there by 1100 at the latest. Where would I be able to meet up with people at? Is there a CB or FRS channel designated to reach people on?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts