Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
MarcusInMD said:
Now if we can just get you guys to put some clothes on an stop running around in the forest scaring people.
OK, just to set the record straight - I only did that once, and I've curbed my excessive drinking habits then. :wink:

Shaggy

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Van said:
Anybody gonna go kayaking... I'm hooked after last falls trip.
I just signed up for the Land Trust's hike and paddle challenge so would be game for some kayaking - here are some that qualify for this in particular:

http://landtrustcnc.org/2014/the-narrows/ <<- basically what we did last time

http://landtrustcnc.org/2014/uwharrie-river-2/

I'd be open to anything else as well. Saturday would be my personal pick in terms of day as the trails will be more crowded, but again I'm completely flexible.

Shaggy

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Van said:
Since you (or anyone else) has more experience than I in the subject, I've been looking at buying this for the trip... good for a beginner? http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/no-limi ... id=1036416
I'm not that familiar with this make/model, although it seems to get top ratings on any of the sites it's listed on. REI sells a Pelican kayak that's a similar price, although it's more of a recreational one so doesn't have the fishing-related features. All in all probably not that helpful a reply now that I've typed it out. :roll: LOL!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Hack said:
When you get to the campground, I am sure that you will have no trouble getting a ride or finding something to do...
^^He speaks the truth!^^ You're more than welcome to take my truck out on the trails if you'd like, I'll be doing some paddling and planning on doing at least one hike while I'm out there - probably hike up to top of King Mountain which is apparently the highest point in the forest, sounds like it could be fun!

Shaggy

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Hack said:
Life happens but you are right, a couple of days are better then none. At least you are close and don't have a 400 mile drive each way.
Yes, truly a blessing!! I just did another overland trip in the Appalachians which was "only" 200 miles to/from my house, pretty much the last trip that's within that short of a distance, the rest will involve a trek like you (and others) have to endure to get to URE. Oh the pavement, make it stop!! :shock:

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Hack said:
I don't think that anyone will need A/C at night. But, it is going to be hot on the trails and even hotter panning for gold.
Had I known it was going to be this warm I would have suggested we revive the "paddle your DIY Kon-Tiki-style raft" boat race! :mrgreen: Probably too late to pull this together, although I'll be happy to take on anyone in a Barbie Jeep IZUSU race down the Dutch John trench hill. C'mon... y'all know you want to take out the skinny nerd or at least watch him get hurt in an epic tumble! :laughing6:

Shaggy

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
My short trip felt really... well... short! :protest: Ah well, it was really nice to see everyone even if just in passing, and I hope all y'alls trips home are safe and uneventful. Have fun getting the muddy clay off! :shock:

Shaggy

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
There was a great turnout this year, and the number of first generation Troopers is the highest I recall seeing in the few years I've been attending. Thanks for sharing these pics! :)

Shaggy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts