Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2010 Spring ISUZUwharrie ~ April 7th-11th ~ Uwharrie, NC

71K views 471 replies 48 participants last post by  lorenzo816 
#1 ·
Announcing:
The 2010 Spring ISUZUwharrie
April 7thâ€"11th
(with the Main Days being Fri. the 9th & Sat. the 10th)

As always â€" this IS NOT exclusively an Isuzu event…
We welcome ALL 4-wheel-drive fanatics, no matter what brand of vehicle you happen to drive...
(as long as you behave yourself and can play well with others! )

( Rocky Mnt Loop, Kodak Rock ISUZU'wharrie 09 )

News, Information, and Updates:

Attendees:

:toothy8: DRaider90 -- Dodge Raider
:toothy8: Ditchdoc -- Isuzu Rodeo
+++ Mrs. Ditchdoc : Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: FTen -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: Cavemedic -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: JLEMOND -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: reran -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: marlin -- Isuzu VehiCROSS
:toothy8: Joe Darlington -- One of the Isuzu Fleet
:toothy8: Van -- Isuzu P'up
:toothy8: PolarStar -- Isuzu Rodeo
:toothy8: Beagler -- Isuzu Rodeo
:toothy8: jwood1016 -- Isuzu Amigo
:toothy8: Zippo -- Ford Bronco
:toothy8: LTC Don -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: Mad Scientist -- Mitsubishi Montero
:toothy8: cronk -- Isuzu Trooper or Rodeo
:toothy8: 2002trooper4me -- Isuzu Trooper
+++ Friends: Smitty and the Crew
:toothy8: DogMeat -- Isuzu P'up
+++ Friends: Yota Guy
:toothy8: Hazydaze -- Mitsubishi Montero
:toothy8: RECOND45 -- Mitsubishi Montero
:toothy8: SAS -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: Foxwood -- Jeep Cherokee (x2)
:toothy8: Randy NC -- Mitsubishi Montero
:toothy8: 88toy4x4 -- Toyota P'up
:toothy8: stratejacket_billybob -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: sarriladd -- Isuzu Rodeo
:toothy8: Josh C -- Jeep Wrangler TJ
:toothy8: bellavesus -- Isuzu Trooper
:toothy8: KMulwee -- Isuzu Rodeo
:toothy8: RoxMud -- Jeep Grand Cherokee
:toothy8: Lorenzo -- Isuzu Rodeo

^^^ Your Name Here ^^^

The ‘MAYBE or MAYBE NOT’ List:

:tard: sassee
:tard: Sparkem
:tard: Van_homan
:tard: Smiley + 1 to 4 Guests
:tard: Medic
:tard: Tad

The ‘No Longer Able to Attend’ List:

:sad5: bluebait
:sad5: Sandhill Raider
:sad5: stusvend
:sad5: Pastor
:sad5: rollintroopers
:sad5: mulisha00

Reserved Campsites:

27 ~ Eli(Main Site)
29 ~ Peter(Main Site)
-JP,Family/Crew
30 ~ Van
32 ~ Jerry & Leland
39 ~ Marlin
38 ~ Matt & Rollintroopers
23 ~ PolarStar
37 ~ Don
35 ~ Mike
34 ~ SAS
25 ~ Randy
16 ~ RECON45
18 ~ 88toy4x4
5 ~ Tim

* All sites with electricity are booked. There are a few sites without electricity left...

Last Updated: 04/02/10 (FINAL UPDATE)

WEATHER:

UPDATED: N/A

DIRECTIONS:

Google Maps for the Eldorado Outpost - Located just outside of the trails.

Trail Map:

Trail Guides:
Haven't been on all the trails at Uwharrie? Or maybe this trip will be your first time out, here we have some basic information on the trails up at Uwharrie. (Last updated 11/06/09)

~~~~~~
~~~~~~

INFORMATION CENTER:

Find out some of the important tips to help enjoy your Uwharrie trip! Great for those new/newer to Uwharrie.

~~~~~~

THINGS TO BRING:

GROUP DINNERS:

Group Dinners are graciously provided by attendees of the trip at the main campsite(s). If you wish to bring a group dinner for a night not covered just post up the meal info and what night. Even if an exact night isn't covered by a group meal most times everyone is kind and pools misc foods together to make a hearty meal anyway (what usually happens for Breakfast and Lunch). If the group meal isn't the thing for you, your also more than welcome to cook your own favorites at your campsite (all campsites come with grill and fire pit).

MERCHANDISE:

CLICK THE PREVIEW IMAGE BELOW TO BUY!

KEEP CHECKING BACK FOR UPDATES AND INFORMATION

LEGAL DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
As always, this will be a completely un-sponsored and unofficial ‘event’... No clubs or organizations will be overseeing the activities… This is simply going to be a bunch of friends and online acquaintances getting together for a weekend of fun, good food, and lots of off-road amusement.

ALL attendees will be utterly and solely responsible for themselves and the guests within their individual group(s) (including all vehicles and equipment), and shall be expected to abide by the laws, rules, and policies set-down by our true hosts, the United States Forestry Service and the people of the great state of North Carolina.

See less See more
#4 ·
April huh..............................

If I can get Blackie done by then, I'm in. I not, i'll see you guys in November. My oldest daughter is getting married in July so I can't stray too far from home or the mother of the bride will go bonkers! She's already starting to drive me nuts over this wedding!

#6 ·
put me down for "maybe". (i have to clear it w/ work, first)
also, add a friend, "zosimov21", w/ an '86 toyota (i forgot exact model/year)

the "chili on the grill" was pretty easy. I can make that again. possibly two batches, regular and hot.

just remind me to use FRESH charcoal.

oh, for list of supplies, but "trash bags" first.

#7 ·
Site # 29 reserved 8) 8) 8) 8)

STANDARD ELECTRIC
ARROWHEAD CAMPGROUND (NC), NFs IN NORTH CAROLINA - FS, NC
029, UPPER LOOP * Arriving: Thu Apr 08 2010
Leaving: Sun Apr 11 2010
Length of Stay: 3 (nights)
Primary: Ditchdoc and Crew :la: :la: :hello1: :hello1:

#10 ·
put me down, bringin the gf this time so she can hopefully become addicted and understand why i do what i do :lol:

#11 ·
I'm in, will have front lockers and 33" TSLs by then, yippee for xmas presents!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure if the wife is coming or my father in law.

#14 ·
I am always trying to think of ways to make these trips run smoother, and make the more enjoyable for everyone. Even though this isn't a sponsored event, I have thought about trying to get some prizes together and doing a raffle. Could even do a Support the Isuzu ECORS Teams raffle. Get some prizes together and sell raffle tickets for $10 a piece or so. All funds would go to help the keep the guys racing.

Just one idea, if you guys have any feel free to share.

#15 ·
Well, put my crew (including Smitty) down as a maybe. The wife is still trying to convince me that the Mouse House would be more fun. I am not convinced... and neither is my checkbook.

#16 ·
depends on what kinda prizes ya got :lol: sounds like a good plan, im pretty sure uve about figured it all out in ur mind huh??

#17 ·
DRaider90 said:
I am always trying to think of ways to make these trips run smoother, and make the more enjoyable for everyone. Even though this isn't a sponsored event, I have thought about trying to get some prizes together and doing a raffle. Could even do a Support the Isuzu ECORS Teams raffle. Get some prizes together and sell raffle tickets for $10 a piece or so. All funds would go to help the keep the guys racing.

Just one idea, if you guys have any feel free to share.
Ya, lets give the old-farts some sponsorship. :lol: :lol:

Site #30 reserved. :D

Van

#18 ·
bluebait said:
depends on what kinda prizes ya got :lol: sounds like a good plan, im pretty sure uve about figured it all out in ur mind huh??
I don't really have all the exacts hammered out in my head yet. Originally the idea was to do the raffle to fund the group dinner on Friday. Because there are 2 sides to the group dinner coin. The people that spend the money to fix it, and the people that donate to cover the cost. I have heard some opinions on how that went, and I figured if we had a raffle it would offset the cost for the dinner and no one would have to donate.

Then I started thinking of other causes, and saw JoeD's post about the ECORS racers. Either way still have to get prizes together. If anyone has connections with any parts shops etc and think you could get them to donate a prize go for it.

Beyond that I have this wild and crazy idea of having a morning trail run schedule. I am starting to notice the "we will hit the trails when ever" idea isn't working out too well. Again 2 sides to this, some people feel we are missing out on wheeling time trying to get everyone moving. And others that show up on that day may get left behind because there is no set schedule. Sometimes people leave for the trails early even. This will be the morning trail run schedule for Fri/Sat in April:

0945 : We start gathering at the bath house. Everyone lines up there and gets ready to head out.
1000 : We head out from the bath house and head to the trails.

Beyond that there isn't any way to set a schedule for lunch and other stuff. You never know what is going to happen on the trails. BUT on Saturday if we go to Zeno's we will have a time set for leaving. Part of why we didn't go to Zeno's last trip was hours it takes to get everyone out there to eat, and back to camp.

We will have to work out some details like setting a standard CB channel for late comers to catch up, and leaving some kind of note at the main site to what trails we are running. But considering there is electricity at the sites, and most cell phones have alarm clocks we should be able to make this happen. I know the whole laid back ideal might be compromised for some, but I think 10am is fair for those that want to run the trails. Leaving at 11am-Noon sets you up for a very short run before people start wanting to stop for lunch. And it is starting to look like a trip back to camp is needed, so the earlier we get started the earlier we get back. This allows people to re-group/restroom break/stretch/etc and then hit the trails for a afternoon run before dinner. Starting at 11am or later puts us back at camp late, which then puts us back on the trails late, and that pushes dinner back.

Feedback/ideas on all this appreciated.

#19 ·
DRaider90 said:
0945 : We start gathering at the bath house. Everyone lines up there and gets ready to head out.
This sounds like a good plan to me... the earlier the better, I wouldn't mind meeting at the bath house at 0900 and heading out at 0930....

more to come......

#20 ·
Anton, Ryan and I will be there. (Ryan would be the lad who missed out because of a wedding last time)

Fixing the CB Radio channel is an excellent idea.

We'll be up Friday afternoon and staying fairly late on Sunday because there's no school on Monday. Maybe we'll try our gold panning again on Sunday.

#21 ·
Ditchdoc said:
DRaider90 said:
This sounds like a good plan to me... the earlier the better, I wouldn't mind meeting at the bath house at 0900 and heading out at 0930....

more to come......
I thought about doing it earlier but to be fair to the late risers I think 1000 is a bit better. That gives us 3 hours before 1pm which equates to about 2 of the longer trails, or 3 shorter ones. That way we can be back at camp around 1:30 for lunch, and be back out on the trails at a decent time.

PolarStar said:
Fixing the CB Radio channel is an excellent idea.
I think the fallowing list should be a great start:

Channel 4: Main Uwharrie Information Channel
- A lot of guys wheeling at Uwharrie use this channel. This is usually why we end up changing from it. So we will leave this as a channel to contact other groups/etc. For example when I was looking for the Montero guys that showed up late I used Channel 4 to ask other groups if they had seen them.

Channel 5: URE Planet Isuzoo Group Channel
- This will be our main channel of communication for on the trails etc.

Channel 6: Alternate Planet Isuzoo Group Channel
- In case there is too much chatter on 5, 6 will be our alternate channel.

#22 ·
DRaider90 said:
I thought about doing it earlier but to be fair to the late risers I think 1000 is a bit better. That gives us 3 hours before 1pm which equates to about 2 of the longer trails, or 3 shorter ones. That way we can be back at camp around 1:30 for lunch, and be back out on the trails at a decent time.
10:00 sounds good after I thought about it, that would leave a few hours in the morning for the few earlier risers to go hit a trail or two early and still make it back for the big group :twisted: :twisted:

DRaider90 said:
I think the fallowing list should be a great start:

Channel 4: Main Uwharrie Information Channel
- A lot of guys wheeling at Uwharrie use this channel. This is usually why we end up changing from it. So we will leave this as a channel to contact other groups/etc. For example when I was looking for the Montero guys that showed up late I used Channel 4 to ask other groups if they had seen them.

Channel 5: URE Planet Isuzoo Group Channel
- This will be our main channel of communication for on the trails etc.

Channel 6: Alternate Planet Isuzoo Group Channel
- In case there is too much chatter on 5, 6 will be our alternate channel.
Sounds good to me, I have a POS C/B in my current trail rig, but my new trail rig will have a jam up C/B with possibly a little power behind it :wink:

#23 ·
Ditchdoc said:
Sounds good to me, I have a POS C/B in my current trail rig, but my new trail rig will have a jam up C/B with possibly a little power behind it :wink:
Me too. I am upgrading and bringing my Galaxy 99 from my Freightliner!! It has been tweaked and can get out just fine. This year I don't want to hear any crap from Lorenzo about not understanding me on the radio!! :lol:

#24 ·
2002trooper4me said:
Ditchdoc said:
Me too. I am upgrading and bringing my Galaxy 99 from my Freightliner!! It has been tweaked and can get out just fine. This year I don't want to hear any crap from Lorenzo about not understanding me on the radio!! :lol:
Part of my winter to do list is to grab an SWR meter off ebay and tune my antenna. Even though the Cobra 29 I ran during Oct/Dec did quite well. Was able to talk to JoeD that was at one end of Saw Mill from the other end (approx 2 miles line of sight). For an un-tuned set up that is not bad. Hopefully with this replacement Cobra 29 (the other 29 burned out) I will be even better off. Right now they way the RF Gain is on it my guess is that the radio has been modified, possibly a peak n tune has been done.

Will also be getting a cheap little adapter for my hand held uniden CB in the up coming days. So it can hook up to an extra magnet mount antenna I got with the replacement Cobra 29. So if anyone doesn't have a CB they will have a nice setup to borrow.

I think the morning trail run schedule will go a long ways to making things go smoother as far as getting things going during the day goes. It seems if we hit the trails late, then we get back for lunch late, which puts us back out on the trails late, which pushes dinner back. Its a domino effect really.

Not sure how the raffle will turn out, all depends really on how many prizes we can get together. I really think if someone volunteers to cook dinner Friday night the best idea would be to put the money to it. So people don't have to feel obligated to donate etc.

Also I figured we would give planned trail rides a stab again. It sorta kinda worked on Saturday in October, but I figure give it one more shot in April. Maybe with a morning trail schedule we will be able to also keep to planned trail rides.

If I am rocking the boat too much bringing some of the ideas to fruition let me know. Trust me I enjoy the laid back pace of our trips, and that is something we don't want to get rid of. But it has become evident there needs to be at least a little bit of structure in a few areas to make things go a little bit smoother.

Lastly to new comers to these URE trips, if you get a chance check out the Information Center links on the first post. There is some helpful information in those pages. 8)

#25 ·
You are bringing up some key issues. Sometimes you have to rock the boat to make progress!

I like the ideas presented so far. A rough trail schedule is a good plan. You could go as far as to set a moring run around 10am an after lunch run around 2pm and a evening run around 9pm. Obviously these times are just thrown out there but if everyone knows "we are running Rocky Mnt Loop at 2pm" Then they can decide what they want to do.

As usual keep up the good work Eli!!

#26 ·
2002trooper4me said:
Ditchdoc said:
you're still gonna hear crap.
But at least YOU got a stock truck up the rut on dutch john.... rmbr that Jeep that turned back?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.