Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 03 rodeo 3.2 automatic. recently i was doing some wiring and my rodeo would not restart aferwards. i have tested all relays and fuses and can not find a problem. i have heard of a neutral safety switch shorting out can cause these same problems. is this true, and where is it located. all of my vehicles componets work. it just will not start, almost like it was not in park. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the car can be started by by turning the key to the on position and connecting a 12 v hotwire to the starter signal wire. Also the ignition harness has been tested and passed.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
When the ignition switch is placed in the crank position it energizes the Starting Motor Solenoid relay through the closed contacts of the Park/Neutral switch which is part of the transmission Range Mode Switch (RMS) assembly. The RMS is located on the left side of the transmission case and is operated by the shift selection lever, a new one is about 150 bucks. The part # is 8-96017-511-0.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I found it. But the gear selector is still correct, and the reverse lights still work. The part online is showing a harness coming out of it, but the actual part does not. I pulled a scamatic and its very unclear. However this switch is the only thing that has not been tested. All tues, relays, and wires have.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
There is a harness connected to the switch with a seven pin connector attached. Pins 1 and 4 are the Park/Neutral switch contacts. Pin 4 goes to the ignition switch +12 VDC and Pin 1 goes to the solenoid relay.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Even with the automatics, there is a plunger switch under the brake pedal that must be engaged/depressed to start. Check the continuity on this when pedal is in the up or depressed state. I put a small peal and stick 1/16th shim on the pedal of mine as the wear strip wasn't fully depressing the pedal switch. The other shifter Neutral engaged relay is under your center console, right behind the shifter. gotta pull all the center plastic out to get to that..........check your brake pedal switch first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts