Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to these forums and have been doing a bit of research with regards a knocking noise that my trooper has just developed. It seems to me that my timing belt tensioner needs replacing so I plan on that, a new timing belt and water pump.

I have contacted my local Isuzu dealer here in Belize and it appears that I will have to take out a mortgage to buy the tensioner - they are after nearly 700 belize dollars (about 350 US)- and about 500 US for everything. Anyone know what sort of realistic price I should expect to pay and if there are any dealers in the US willing to ship to Belize?

Colin

Edit to add that I have the 3.5L V6.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I can get the tensioner here for $80 and unless I'm missing something, it seems shipping to Belize is only about $15. Are you aware of any difficulties with international shipping from the US?

You might try www.rockauto.com too. I think they ship worldwide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought as much. Another parts dealer can get me one for about 110 US but it will take 2 weeks. I have sent rockauto an E-Mail to check if they deliver to Belize. I most certainly hope so as it appears as if the local dealer is just ripping Isuzu owners off with inflated prices. I know that duty and sales tax wouldn't put the price anywhere near what they are asking.

As for shipping from the US - I have never had any problems before.

Many thanks for the link.

Colin

·
Registered
677 Posts
The dealer has to buy the part, then have it shipped, and also make a profit. They are probably going to get it from the same place or another internet dealer, unless they still have a direct line to Isuzu. The actual Isuzu part is always more than an after market or OEM spec'd part.

Rockauto may be your best bet on getting OEM parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fully understand what you are saying Jonnie, but a 240 US$ difference is quite excessive in my eyes. I have decided to go with my other source as after shipping and taxes the price works about the same as with Rockauto so I am quite happy to wait a couple of weeks - it will save me the cost of the parts on gas alone!

Many thanks for the responses and link.

Colin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm bringing this thread back to the top for some more advice.

It turns out that it wasn't my timing belt tensioner after all, it was a rod knock. So to update what happened.

The motor was pulled and the crank removed, I took it to a crank repair shop and they told me that it was shot - to worn for a regrind so the search was on for another crank. I eventually found a used motor for about the same price as a crank would cost me and after seeking advice from Jerry (Many thanks BTW) I bought it. The motor wouldn't turn completely as it had been sitting for a while, so we pulled the crank and had it inspected, no problems were found and it was to spec. The decision was made to put this crank into my motor with new crank and rod bearings and new seals.

Everything went back together well, but the woes did not stop there. Picked up the car on Sunday and noticed a couple of things:

Check Trans Light flashing - Trans sounded noisy and shift changes were clunky to say the least. I dropped the pan, changed the filter did a refill. No more noise and shift changes are now sweet - Check Trans light still flashing though (no other lights illuminated)

4WD not engaging - light flashes and nothing else. I will check that it has been wired up correctly but could these two be linked?

There is now a tick to the motor. It sounds exactly like a lifter tick but seems to be coming from the bottom of the motor in the vicinity of the oil pan rather than the top. Before we pull the motor again, I thought that I would seek advice as to what to check. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh I'm getting very frustrated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts