Isuzu SUV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
And I was pretty sure that extending the brackets and not reinforcing them would lend to failure pretty quickly. And it did, the drivers link bent up and made a nice metal clanking sound the rest of the ride. I'll make a better set and gusset them to help with the stresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would use limit straps for sure. Ideally you don't want the shocks or anything else to be the end limit of your droop, as it could cause additional wear n tear. I'd also capture one end of the coils and leave the other free. Set the straps so they don't allow it to droop beyond the point that the coil wouldn't reseat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Thanks for the info paulevans, I'll look into the coil retainer too. I been reading up on limit straps a bit and I've taken a few measurements. I'll be ordering some straps and make up some brackets in the next week or so. When I bought this RS and started to mod it I was in Florida, not much articulation going on. But out here it's a whole new animal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
My limit straps and brackets came in the other day. I miss calculated the first go around and the 14 inch straps were too long, I ended up using a set of 12 inch straps. I'll save the 14s for later when I SAS and whatnot. Got everything lined up and welded on. Wasn't too hard to hook everything up, just welding in funny angles and without a lift is a pain.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I did however break off 3 of the 4 bolts that hold on my bump stops, and 2 of the 4 bolts holding the sway bar on twisted right off. So for now I don't have the rear sway bar in. I needed to make a 2 inch extension for the bump stops so I'll fab those up one day and get them hooked back up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I cleaned up the wiring harness so my speaker, mirror, and curtesy light all work. I am definitely gonna upgrade to some bigger door speakers though. If I'm driving over 40ish mph I can barely hear the radio. I also plan on installing a removeable cross bar on the passenger side. Just a little extra insurance my kid don't fall out while on the trail.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Very cool. Every time I go on a trial ride I remember that I want to do half doors! I bet it makes it a lot easier to see what is going on when you're crawlin.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I got my half doors back from the paint shop. The did a pretty good job. Looks a 100 times better matching vs the silver. Now that they are painted the frame pieces stand out bad, they definitely need to be painted. I'm gonna try and redo them in a mild steel so I can weld up the opening where I cut and bent them.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I was outta the country for a few years so I didn't have my Isuzu to work on. Out here in Vegas I find myself constantly wanting to improve and upgrade things.
Upcoming ideas I have are:
-build a roof rack
-skid plates to protect the trans pan and xfer case(this thing is about 1in below the frame, ridiculous)
-track bar mount and adjustable stronger track bar so I stop breaking it
-remove g80 lsd and put in a powertrax,, or just put a selectable locker in it
-build a new front bumper
Not in any order but these are some things I wanna get done

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm on board with all of those and have a similar list. The one time I took my Amigo to Moab, I punched a hole in the overdrive tranny pan, in camp. Luckily I was with guys smart enough to fix it. I wheels the next day and drove it home.

There is a small skid plate that just bolts into the transfer case, but it's probably not as durable as a frame mounted one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Welp I banged some stuff up. I put limit straps on my rear axle but got lazy and didn't put my bump stops back on. And as you can see I popped a shock. And this is the 3rd time I've jacked the factory track bar up. I bought all the parts to build a beefy dom one, but as previously mentioned I got lazy again and didn't fab it up.. I'll have a few projects to work on here soon.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
The tires stuff pretty far up in the wheel well. Ima get on putting my bump stops
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
stops back on and maybe make a 1-2in spacer for them to compensate for my lift. These are 285/75-16r

161 - 180 of 182 Posts