Isuzu SUV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
20151123_094235 (2).jpg
I started building the 3 can basket for the swing out. I braced the bottom with 4-3/16" angles that will weld on the top and side of the long arm.
20151123_113556 (2).jpg
It'll sit about in this location. I'm trying to use all the available space I can. I know for sure I can fit a 33" tire with the spacing I have now.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
ZuminaZX said:
what's your overall lift now, not including tires? It seems really tall!
5 inches without the tires. The tires are 265/70 16r Treadwright Guarddogs so roughly 31in tires. I have a 2in body lift I got from 4crawler offroad and the 3" OME lift from Independent4x. I really want to get the BTV4x4 7in lift, but I think I'll hold off on that for another year.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,222 Posts
The tires are 265/70 16r Treadwright Guarddogs

Just curious,
In the last picture the spare looks huge. Did you ever weigh the tire and wheel? That seems like a lot to hang on the rear door.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
itsmehb said:
The tires are 265/70 16r Treadwright Guarddogs

Just curious,
In the last picture the spare looks huge. Did you ever weigh the tire and wheel? That seems like a lot to hang on the rear door.
Yea before I built the bumper and tire carrier it was just mounted onto the factory spot on the tailgate. The tailgate functioned fine and I didn't notice if the hinges were suffering from the extra weight. The guard dogs are a heavy tire. I weighed them on a bathroom scale once and I think they weighed in at close to 70-80lbs with the rim. I believe my rims are close to 20lbs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
20151130_153535 (2).jpg
I had to have my girlfriend help me get the carrier back on the bumper. It's very awkward to handle by myself and get the hinge bolt to line up.
20151130_153944 (2).jpg
I test fit an old cooler and it fits in the basket pretty good. I'm gonna make some rubber inserts to use to keep the cans from moving/bouncing around. I just haven't figured out exactly how to do that yet. I can always use a strap until I figure it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
20151130_154019 (2).jpg
Here's a shot of it opened. I was up in the air on whether to make the cans accessible with the carrier opened or closed. I decided to make it with from the inside when it's open. I'm done for the most part until I get some tube bent and fill in the lower side wing pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I wired up my rear floods today. I will get some pictures of it loaded up in a couple days. I used a factory Isuzu fog light switch I picked up from the local salvage yard. I am gonna post over in the electrical thread cause I can't get the light to illuminate when I turn them on. When I turn the dash lights on the light on the switch turns on, but the little light bar under the symbol won't turn on. I tried all kids of stuff today to figure it out but I'm lost.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Looks really good , I like the can setup with the cooler mount up top too !! Can you see the tail lights with all of the stuff put on ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
bradzuzu said:
Looks really good , I like the can setup with the cooler mount up top too !! Can you see the tail lights with all of the stuff put on ?
You can see the taillights if you aren't to close to the vehicle. I plan on loading it up and then have my girlfriend drive it while I follow her and I'll check out the lights/safety issue. If I think it's to iffy I will maybe add some trailer type accessory lights into the bumper.

·
Registered
228 Posts
20151206_113155 (2).jpg
I went on a ride through Ocala with a couple friends this weekend. We found a small little pond to camp at. I didn't get many pictures as I was the only one trying to tear my vehicle up. I'll see if I can get any pics from my friends to post. We found a large pile of lime rock to play on and an old building foundation to crawl up.
20151206_123241 (2).jpg
This would have been a good spot to camp.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
So the rear bumper and tire/can carrier worked well, but it rattles at the latch mechanism. I'm gonna have to add a rubber bumper/bushing to it so it doesn't shift so much. It was OK at first but after a couple hours it got very annoying. I'll get this fabbed up before my next outing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
20151214_163808 (2).jpg
I made some some stand offs for the jack so it wouldn't touch the rack. I have a little over 1/8" space for the jack clearing the rack and about the same space for clearing the tire carrier. It was really close but fits nicely.
20151215_114854 (2).jpg
I bolted my antenna mount up and have it all ready to get tuned. Hopefully I get to my buddies this weekend to have him tune it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Nice idea and fab work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got tired of welding so I started a new project. I'm working on a set of half doors.
20151215_121832 (2).jpg
I got a set of doors and fenders from a rodeo for 100 bucks from a local guy. I started hacking and sawing at the doors. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted so I took a little off at a time.
20151215_124013 (2).jpg

Attachments

81 - 100 of 182 Posts