Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have OME 912's in the rear, and will be performing a torsion crank to level the vehicle, so a total of about 3 inches front and rear.
Will the 265/75R16 Treadwright Warden Tires fit with the above mentioned lift and the OEM steel Isuzu wheels with no trimming at all?
Also, I have had at least 3 alignments since I cranked the T bars to about 1 inch. Every time I have it done the tires will look like this, |--| after about 300 miles or so, most of it on the road the tires return to this \--/.
What can be done to help the alignment stay in the correct position? Each time I have to take it back that's another $50 down the toilet.

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantm ... cts_id=125

I can't seem to find how much length is added by the post extensions, looks to be between 1.5 to 3ish inches maybe?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Did you look at the tire chart, its pretty straight forward...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18638

as far as your alignment, thats ridiculous, id get a new alignment shop or find out whats worn to make it change that much...

Oh, and i REALLY wouldnt go with those shock extensions, ive seen a ziliion people bend shocks like that...if you must go that route, you can get the parts at lowes hardware section to make your own, but i'd get some rear shocks if i were you, mine is going up 3" and i will prob blow them pretty quick, bit i'm just going to run my stockers until i destroy them, then get some ranchos or something...

*Post edited because for some reason i was thinking you had a trooper, i apologize...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, then I will strongly consider the Treadwrights.

So I assume the OEM Steel Wheels are 3.75?

I have been to different shops, each time they tell me they had to use shims, but I guess they fall out during driving at some point? Maybe a Ball Joint flip will help?

My Rodeo isn't a 4wd, so I'm not going to be doing any extreme 4 wheeling, mostly city streets and the occasional muddy road for work, should I still try to stay away from the post extensions? I only need them to get a little more downward travel in the suspension, if I go over a bump just a little too fast, I can hear the shocks slamming out. I had the shocks installed and finally decided to get the OME 912's. But the shock are just over 5,000 miles old... Don't want to buy another set if it's avoidable.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
2nd gen Rodeos have smaller wheel wells than 1st gens, so comparing those 2 doesn't really help. If you want 265/75 tires on the OEM wheels even with a 3" lift you will most likely have to do a little bit of trimming. I have a 2" lift on my 03 rodeo with 30" tires (255/70) on the stock 16" wheels (which btw has around a 5" backspacing, not 3.75") and it's VERY close to rubbing with the wheel turned all the way, but luckily it clears. As for the alignment i'm not to sure what's up, but I would do a ball joint flip and get it aligned one last time to see if that helps. Also I would avoid the shock extensions, i've heard of those things bending and such just from normal use, not even crazy off-roading. You can always just get a new set of rear shocks that are longer, the front ones you can keep since cranking the t-bars doesnt really effect the shock travel up front.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I should go with the 255/70's then to be safe and keep the mud flaps so the paint and other people's cars don't take a beating.

What about going with the extensions until I can scrape some money together for the longer shocks. (College Student, gotta pay that first.)
Prob will take 3 months or so, cause I will get a suspension shop to do the install on the shocks, ball joint flip, and alignment all in one go.

What would going to some wheels with a 3.75" back spacing accomplish? It seems fairly common from what I've read.

How are you liking the General AT2's? I'm torn between those and a set of treadwrights in the 265 range due to the relative cost....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Please put your own shocks on, its soooo easy, im sure you can find a friend to help you, i would honestly run your stock shocks until you have money, ask some people on here, you can get some rear shocks for like 30 bucks a piece, gabriel gasriders or something...

sorry i cant tell you the tire size...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I bought some Monroe Sensa's to replace the way overdue factory shocks about 5,000 miles ago. Had the OME's installed about 1,000 miles ago cause I had a buddy who sold em' to me for like 20. (Wrapped his trooper around a telephone pole after a blow out in the rain)

So, i've got the Sensa's which are still like new, at all 4 corners and would like to stay with them if I do go to a longer shock. I love the way it rides now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you need help installing the shocks give me a shout. We can also try my 265s on so you can see how they fit. Just give me a few days notice.

*Edit for not reading* See you already have them on. Still can throw the tires on and see how they fit.

·
Registered
648 Posts
grobrooks said:
If you need help installing the shocks give me a shout. We can also try my 265s on so you can see how they fit. Just give me a few days notice.

*Edit for not reading* See you already have them on. Still can throw the tires on and see how they fit.
See...thats was AWESOME MAN !!! kudos to gobrooks !!!!

not to be off topic but where can i get a part number for a 3" lifted rear shock and do i NEED to do a BJ flip due t a 3" lift or what ?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
JONBOY345 said:
OK, so I should go with the 255/70's then to be safe and keep the mud flaps so the paint and other people's cars don't take a beating.

What about going with the extensions until I can scrape some money together for the longer shocks. (College Student, gotta pay that first.)
Prob will take 3 months or so, cause I will get a suspension shop to do the install on the shocks, ball joint flip, and alignment all in one go.

What would going to some wheels with a 3.75" back spacing accomplish? It seems fairly common from what I've read.

How are you liking the General AT2's? I'm torn between those and a set of treadwrights in the 265 range due to the relative cost....
Yeah 30" tires is about all you can go before you have to start trimming parts on a 2nd gen. Even though they are a lot smaller than the 265/75's they still look good with a 2-3" lift. I love my General Grabber AT2's so far, they do great in dry or wet conditions. I have yet to take them in any snow since I got them not to long ago, but I read they do good in snow too. The only thing they suck at is in the mud but I took mine through some muddy trails and it did better than expected. So I highly recommend these tires.

If they are just temporary I suppose the shock extensions are worth a shot since they are cheap, I would still go ahead and get new rear shocks since you can get some decent ones for fairly inexpensive and it will permanently take care of the problem instead of band-aiding it for now. It's your call though. I also say you should just do the work yourself, the shocks on these are really simple and easy to remove, and a ball joint flip is simply removing it from the top of the control arm, and putting it on the bottom. So that should all be pretty strait forward.

If you got wheels with a 3.75" backspace your gonna have to trim even more than with the stock wheels, and could possibly rub a little even with 30" tires with aftermarket wheels with that kind of backspacing. That's what I read anyways.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
grobrooks said:

I really appreciate the offer that would be awesome, I may just have to take you up on that. Do you have experience with the ball joint flip as well? If so we may have to make a day out of it.

But I need to do some searching for the part numbers for the Sensa Tracs that are 2-3" longer than the stock one's. Anyone know off the top of the head?

superswire, I got my OME 912 from a buddy, but I have seen them on Independent4x. I think it's 150ish + shipping. Not sure about the shocks though, that's one of my questions as well.

Clipper03, seems to be the general consensus on those tires. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get 'em. But I'll have to get the correct size spare afterwards due to lack of cash on hand at the moment, but once I get this semester paid off I should be able to get one pretty soon afterwards. Are there any issues with mounting the bigger size under the back with an under body hitch?

·
Registered
648 Posts
thanks man, i'm actually running cherokee front coils on my rear, may get some heavier bronco ones, but i am going to need some lifted shocks and well, i dont really care what they are, i've blown heckerthorns, skyjackers, ranchos, even blew a few foxes and bilstiens as easy as stockers, id just as soon get box store gas riders or something because im just going to beat on them and most of those places warrantee everything these days anyow...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
superswire said:
thanks man, i'm actually running cherokee front coils on my rear, may get some heavier bronco ones, but i am going to need some lifted shocks and well, i dont really care what they are, i've blown heckerthorns, skyjackers, ranchos, even blew a few foxes and bilstiens as easy as stockers, id just as soon get box store gas riders or something because im just going to beat on them and most of those places warrantee everything these days anyow...
Have you tried the Monroe Sensatracs? I love mine. Not sure how they compare as far as sturdiness to the others as I've never used another brand before. For 43ish a piece at advance auto they seem to be well worth it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I love sensatracs to be honest, ive never had an issure with them, i have some ac delcos on there now, they are for stock height though, i am trying to find a part number for the +3 sensatracs or any other shock to cross reference...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
superswire said:
I love sensatracs to be honest, ive never had an issure with them, i have some ac delcos on there now, they are for stock height though, i am trying to find a part number for the +3 sensatracs or any other shock to cross reference...
Just shot the tech department an email asking about the 3" over stock length. Let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yeah you won't be dissapointed with the Grabber AT2's, great tires. I'm not sure if you can get longer sensa shocks (edit: saw you might be able to get some, let us know the part number if you find them), but the easiest thing to do would be to call Independent4x.com or e-mail them and tell them your situation, and they can get you some good shocks that are the perfect length and everything to go on your Rodeo if you can't find the longer sensa shocks. Also i'm not sure if you can mount a bigger tire on the under spare, I think I read somewhere even a 30" tire won't fit under there but i'm not to sure, it looks tight so it might not be able to fit. I just kept my OEM spare, I know it's smaller but almost any spare on any vehicle is smaller than the original wheels and I don't do any crazy off-roading. What I may do is get a roof rack, then get another OEM rim and mount another Grabber AT2 on it up there. Then I can just remove the spare from under it. I really wanted to get a tailgate mounted spare but I would have to change a lot just to get that to work, and not worth it at all.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
clipper 03 rodeo said:
Yeah you won't be dissapointed with the Grabber AT2's, great tires. I'm not sure if you can get longer sensa shocks (edit: saw you might be able to get some, let us know the part number if you find them), but the easiest thing to do would be to call Independent4x.com or e-mail them and tell them your situation, and they can get you some good shocks that are the perfect length and everything to go on your Rodeo if you can't find the longer sensa shocks. Also i'm not sure if you can mount a bigger tire on the under spare, I think I read somewhere even a 30" tire won't fit under there but i'm not to sure, it looks tight so it might not be able to fit. I just kept my OEM spare, I know it's smaller but almost any spare on any vehicle is smaller than the original wheels and I don't do any crazy off-roading. What I may do is get a roof rack, then get another OEM rim and mount another Grabber AT2 on it up there. Then I can just remove the spare from under it. I really wanted to get a tailgate mounted spare but I would have to change a lot just to get that to work, and not worth it at all.
Ahh, I see what you mean. Prob just keep the OEM Spare where it is and just limp to the nearest tire spot to get the bad one fixed or replaced.

Yeah, I just emailed the tech department at Monroe, interested what they have to say. I'll let you know what I hear from 'em.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Definitely flip your balls. Just be careful with getting new front shocks because if you have to much down travel you can blow out your steering rack.You can go as high as 5 inches in the front before you put your steering in danger. So that means 3 inches of lift and 2 inches of down travel for street driving which makes for a comfy ride. You will have to get new shocks for it to be effective though....I know someone makes shocks that are about 2 inches longer than stock. Also I would get longer brake lines for the front, preferably steel from independent4x.com.

And yes shims can fall out when driving. Make sure the upper control arm bolts are tight as hell after you get an alignment.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
superswire said:
And yes shims can fall out when driving. Make sure the upper control arm bolts are tight as hell after you get an alignment.
:shock: I'd kill my alignment guy...[/quote]

I don't have an alignment guy to kill. None have been good enough to warrant me spending any more of my money with them. :/

1 - 20 of 40 Posts