Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I've been reading posts and getting advice from the site for years and finally decided to join. Thanks for everyone's help in the past and for future help you may provide.
My 2002 Rodeo LS (4X4 48,000 miles, 3.2 V6) is having some kind of emission problems. It stalled when my wife was driving it a couple of weeks ago and when I went to work on it, it would start but stall as soon as I put it in gear. It had thrown a bunch of codes. I had it taken to the dealer who charged me WAY too much for diagnostics and has decided that I need to replace the THROTTLE BODY. I asked if it was the gasket or the positioning sensor. He said it wasn't the gasket (how does he know, unless he replaced it?) and that the throttle body and positioning sensor was all one unit, WHICH I BELIEVE IS A HUGE LIE because you can buy the sensor for $60 bucks but the whole throttle body is $600. And why can't the throttle body be cleaned?
I guess my real question is what kinds of things would cause the throttle body to need to be replaced instead of just cleaned and adjusted or having the sensor replaced? I am getting it back from the dealer today and I am not too bad with a set of tools, what should I look for when I get to the throttle body that would indicate permanent damage?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
First I'd ask for my old part. I'd say there's not a thing wrong with it.

Second ask what the codes were. Usually stalling is one of two things.

Either it's the fuel pressure regulator or you have a bad intake gasket. The bad intake gasket is usually accompanied with a CEL that gives you a lean code on one or both banks, along with stalling. As it gets worse you will get a CEL light more often, as well as more stalling.

Joe

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
DBAIRD99 said:
Hey Guys,
I've been reading posts and getting advice from the site for years and finally decided to join. Thanks for everyone's help in the past and for future help you may provide.
My 2002 Rodeo LS (4X4 48,000 miles, 3.2 V6) is having some kind of emission problems. It stalled when my wife was driving it a couple of weeks ago and when I went to work on it, it would start but stall as soon as I put it in gear. It had thrown a bunch of codes. I had it taken to the dealer who charged me WAY too much for diagnostics and has decided that I need to replace the THROTTLE BODY. I asked if it was the gasket or the positioning sensor. He said it wasn't the gasket (how does he know, unless he replaced it?) and that the throttle body and positioning sensor was all one unit, WHICH I BELIEVE IS A HUGE LIE because you can buy the sensor for $60 bucks but the whole throttle body is $600. And why can't the throttle body be cleaned?
I guess my real question is what kinds of things would cause the throttle body to need to be replaced instead of just cleaned and adjusted or having the sensor replaced? I am getting it back from the dealer today and I am not too bad with a set of tools, what should I look for when I get to the throttle body that would indicate permanent damage?
Thanks again!
THIS IS ONE CASE WHERE THE DLR WAS NOT LYING TO YOU , YOU HAVE A DRIVE BY WIRE SYSTEM ON THE 2002 RODEO AND THE DRIVE MTR AND THE TPS SENSOR IS BUILT TOGETHER AND IS NOT NORMALLY SERVICEABLE, ALLSO VERY RELIABLE.. DO LIKE JOE MENTIONED CHECK THE EGR PIPE DISCHARGE BEHIND THE THROTLE BODY IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND THE INT, MANI, GASKETS THESE ARE COMMON PROB, JERRY

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.