Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my neighbor is moving and is offering me a 2002 Rodeo Sport in very good condition, with no rust and 90k miles for $2k. He says a local dealer offered him that. It does have an O2 sensor CEL code that requires repair (I’ll run it with my tool later today). I would assume that at most it would likely need emissions work to fix for maybe $1500?

Anything else I should look for specific to these? I’m more of a Toyota / Land Rover guy and will likely re-sell after repairs.

I’ll post some more info later today also, but would love any advice you can give.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
check for rust at the rear lower trailing arm mounts. They start internally and show no signs on the outside.

Reactions: isuzuki88

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,487 Posts
2/nd on the engine and tranny. A 3.2 with 5 speed and 4x4 would be a winner.
a 3.2 with auto and 2x4, not so much
a 2.2 no matter the tranny, not interested.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I agree with the analysis of itsmehb.

The O2 sensor replacement should be less than $100. If the sensors are good and it needs cats, then I'd assume about $500 for aftermarket cats. Sounds like you could have it in pretty good shape (easy to sell) for certainly less than $1000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, got a look at it. Here’s the bad- valve cover(s) leak, some rust on the frame and behind the doors on both sides (none that would scare someone from the midwest on a 20 year car, automatic, audible slight exhaust leak and odor suggesting catalytic convertor (original).

the good - CEL is off at the moment, 3.2 L with 4x4 automatic, all options I think, original Isuzu stereo with CD changer and cassette (CD jammed with John Mellencamp CD), thick book of maintenance records, I ran it hard through the gears on the highway - shifted very smooth and crisp, brakes perfect, AC and heat good, interior is showroom.
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Bumper Fender

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hood
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car
Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Grey Fender
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Bumper Fender

Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Grey Fender

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
277 Posts
Coming up for a timing belt/water pump change as well @ 90k. Is the owner locked at $2k or would he slide down a bit?
I'd wave $1750-1800 cash and see if he'd dance but that's just me.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,487 Posts
Some final observations, as I've had one of these 2/nd gen. Amigo's. These have had recalls for frame rot. Your pics don't seem to show that severe a problem, but as Lowzone said in a previous post this happens from the inside out, Take a common screwdriver, lay on your back, and with the heel of your hand hit the screwdriver when placed at spots on the frame where suspension components attach. I you can drive it through with the heel of your hand, it's a candidate for big future problems. I say this noticing the rust on the body panels. Mine was nowhere near that much, but the only way to really fix that is to cut it out and weld in a new panel, and where you might find one would be a challenge. Other than the rust issue, it looks like a decent buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts