Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm new here...
I bought a used 2001 trooper about 18 months ago. I love it, but 2 months ago I noticed when I would accelerate from a stop it would hesitate then clunk into gear. This also happened when I would accelerate coming out of a turn. Initially, this was rare (<3 times a week) and would not have any issues after it was warmed up. I decided I would take it in as soon as I got paid. After about 2 weeks, the clunking into gear became more frequent, and within a couple days it was all the time. I made arrangements to take it into my mechanic but the morning I was taking it in, I dropped my son off at school and about 1/2 mile from the shop, as I accelerated from a stop on a slight incline, it did not engage. I dropped it into L and it engaged after a few seconds but slipped. I was able to nurse it to the shop but the gear slipped off and on the whole way. My mechanic said he's "pretty positive" the transmission is shot. I have read through some of these forums about issues with sensors, valves etc. and I'm thinking, he could be wrong. Now, it sits in my driveway and I have to decide if its worth keeping...
Any thoughts, comments or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
749 Posts
The "clunking" you describe sounds exactly what happened to me before I had the range sensor replaced. Another thing I noticed when my sensor was off was that when I would put it into L, the light would not come on on the dashboard. I'm not sure if this was coincidental or not.
Also did you get a Check Transmission light on the dash?

If you wait a few hours you should get a more technical response from the crowd, but definitely "clunking" is what directed me to think that it's the sensor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts