Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with the passenger side rear cylinder, I believe this is cylinder number 5, is that correct?

The reason I ask is that apparently the coil and/or plug boot is different on cylinder 6, and if I decide to replace the plug boot or coil I want to get the correct one.

The problem is an apparently cracked head that only leaks a little antifreeze into the spark plug tube, eventually shorting out the plug and causing Check Engine Lights. This has caused some rusting on the coil's probe and the spring in the boot looks pretty ugly too. There is no oil in the antifreeze or vice versa, and no involvement of the compression chamber since the antifreeze does not boil over and the compression test was good.

The leak is so small that I only have to top off the coolant every 2 or 3 months, so I would think some leak stop would take care of it, but the expensive $54 bottle of Blue Devil didn't help, and neither did the cheap Barrs Leak Stop.

So how hard is it to replace the passenger side head? Anybody ever use a rebuilt head from RAMS Cylinder Heads? Apparently I can get a rebuilt one for $375 (assuming it's in stock).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a bottle of Bar's Radiator Stop Leak. It was a liquid with "particles" in it, needed to be shaken vigorously to mix up. Is this the same stuff just in liquid form, or are the pills better / different?

I wonder If I try more leak stop, I wonder if I should flush the system and start fresh to prevent any interaction from the Blue Devil and previous liquid Bar's Leak Stop?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The tablets are different. Is what GM used (and I think still uses) in a lot of cars. What I like about them is that when you dump the coolant these go with it. Is isn't like some of the others that try to "coat" the inside of the system.

I'd be kinda scared of mixing and/or using too many things especially together.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Isuzu designates the left bank cylinders 2,4 and 6 which are located on the driver side on US vehicles.
The #6 coil is recessed into the cylinder head cover on 2000 and newer engines, so the #6 boot is shorter than the rest. Replacing the cylinder head is a major task requiring considerable mechanical aptitude and a good selection of metric tools. Before you start, goto http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DK9O8DSQ and download the service manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts