Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stupidly fried my ECU by forgetting to disconnect the negative battery cable while installing a power antenna. I sent if off for repair and it was returned as "not repairable. Anyone have a 8093935190 ECU? Please respond here or email at [email protected].

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
00-02 Trooper use the same Powertrain Control Module (PCM) "ECU"
You can use an auto transmission PCM which is a lot easier to find to get you back on the road while you search out the hard to find manual transmission version. Be aware that if you use an auto transmission PCM the CEL will constantly be illuminated because the PCM thinks there are transmission electrical problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
00-02 Trooper use the same Powertrain Control Module (PCM) "ECU"
You can use an auto transmission PCM which is a lot easier to find to get you back on the road while you search out the hard to find manual transmission version. Be aware that if you use an auto transmission PCM the CEL will constantly be illuminated because the PCM thinks there are transmission electrical problems.
Thank you Buster,
I have read that elsewhere and may not have to resort to that. I've found two sources already the have the manual tranny ECU/PCM. They are pricey, but after I get the auto tranny version paid for and programmed, I will probably be in the same place. But, I won't forget your post, should the others no pan out.

·
Super Moderator
2,624 Posts
Thank you Buster,
I have read that elsewhere and may not have to resort to that. I've found two sources already the have the manual tranny ECU/PCM. They are pricey, but after I get the auto tranny version paid for and programmed, I will probably be in the same place. But, I won't forget your post, should the others no pan out.
Why would you need to get it programmed?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, maybe I don't have to. I'm just going by what the repair shops tell me. Perhaps only when electronic repair is done is when it needs to be reprogrammed. Also, some of those I have seen on eBay state that they need reprogramming, but they may not know any more about it than I do. This is totally new territory for me, so this is one reason I want to get one for a standard shift, if I can.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that. This makes my search much easier and maybe less expensive. I suppose the only time the ECU might need reprogramming is if it is repaired electronically. Is that true?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I would guess that for most repairs there would be no need to reprogram the unit. One thing I am sure of is the ECU/ECM/PCM used in the Isuzu's seldom fail. I know of several Rodeo's that still ran after the battery polarity was reversed. They had an alternator problem and shift lock solenoid problem that had to be fixed but the PCM still worked.
What happened to your PCM?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was installing a power antenna and forgot to disconnect the negative battery cable. When I was hooking up to the power lead to the radio, it dropped from my hand and fell on the radio. This produced a sizable spark and the Trooper would not start after that. I had it towed to my mechanic who replaced the gas pedal sensor, the throttle position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor with no success.
As stated before, before my mechanic replaced the other parts, I sent the ECU to a company in Jacksonville, FL. They returned it without telling me it was unrepairable. In the meantime, this accounted for the part changes. Only when I called them to tell them the ECU was not working did they tell me they are refunding my money, and the ECU was unrepairable. So, I can't blame my mechanic. I got burned because of the ECU repair shop's negligence.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Shorting +12 Vdc to ground would cause a spark and could blow a fuse but not likely to cause a PCM failure. How did you determine you had a PCM failure?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the radio fuse blew and was replaced. The ECU was a process of elimination. I didn't know for sure until I called the company in Jacksonville that told me it was unrepairable. Can you think of anything else that is causing it not to start? My mechanic says he cannot get a spark from the plugs.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The spark on a 00-02 Trooper is produced by the Ion Sensing Ignition Module, there could by an issue with it. Check the plugs to it and make sure they are plugged in. The module is located on top of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My mechanic mentioned that. The plugs into it are fine. Perhaps it needs replacing. I may get a used one from eBay to test it. I see one for $30 with a warrantee. I'm going to give it a go for that little amount. I had the Trooper towed back home. I believe I can trust your advice, since my mechanic seems to be just fishing around. Anyhow, there is not much left to replace.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called him and he said he did. I remember him mentioning something about the fuel injectors some time ago. This is when he spoke of the Ignition control module. If there is no change, I'll try a ECU for an auto trans.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just called him and he said there was no signal when he applied the NOID lamp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Already have a new CPS installed. No change. Fuel pump works. After the Ion Sense module, the only thing left seems to be the ECU.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so no spark no fuel but with new Crankshaft Position Sensor. Don't buy the Ion Sense Ignition module.
What is the difference between an ECU labeled "Blue" and one labeled "Red"

1 - 20 of 253 Posts